Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1980s ALL-DECADE TEAM

TK

HOF Selection committee doesn't know what the left hand is doing. First they choose Monk, Grimm, Jacoby and then neither make the HOF. BTW, did anyone notice that Darrell Green wasn't on the All Decade Team.

There is obviously an agenda out against the Skins and Dan Snyder.

Wow... that is eye opening... 1st since I wasn't around, were defenses that bad or is there some kind of Offensive Bias when it comes to the HOF?

For Offense there was 14/22 in the hall with JR going in 1st ballot which leaves 15/22... 7 people passed up

For defense there was 12/24 with Bruce Smith likely going in too therefore 13/24... 11 people passed up...

I'm not trying to bash the HOF voters but could someone explain this to me?

Considering the 85 Bears are widely thought of as the best D ever, not to mention giants teams led by the likes of Lawrence Taylor, Pepper Johnson, and Carl banks or the eagles with reggie white I'd have to say no, the 80's did not lack top tier defenses.

Chuck Noll was the logical choice for the AFC coach of the 80s b/c he was the only AFC coach to span the entire decade.

Granted, all of Noll's glory came in the 70s, but the only alternative was Dan Reeve's in Denver who had lost all three of his SBs in the 80s.

Tom Flores in Oak/LA won two SBs in the 80s, but was always a low profile guy on a high profile franchise.

I seem to remember some guy named Shula who was with his team for the whole decade. And Reeves would have been a better choice even counting his lost superbowls, as would have Shula, considering the steelers didn't happen to even make it to one during the 80's. Even the coach of the Bengals, I believe it was Sam Wyche or something like that, could have easily been considered a better choice.

i dont get it.

noll was 77-75 in the 80's- playoff record of 2-4.

gibbs was 91-45. playoff record 11-3.

not even close.

Good point. This alone shows you that these guys are clueless and put little thought into making good decisions. There are probably some other coaches who should have gotten in over Noll too.

Chuck Noll was the logical choice for the AFC coach of the 80s b/c he was the only AFC coach to span the entire decade.

Granted, all of Noll's glory came in the 70s, but the only alternative was Dan Reeve's in Denver who had lost all three of his SBs in the 80s.

Tom Flores in Oak/LA won two SBs in the 80s, but was always a low profile guy on a high profile franchise.

Respectfully disagree with this point.

Considering the 85 Bears are widely thought of as the best D ever, not to mention giants teams led by the likes of Lawrence Taylor, Pepper Johnson, and Carl banks or the eagles with reggie white I'd have to say no, the 80's did not lack top tier defenses.

Thank you, I needed that clarification...

Ya, I guess I forgot about Shula spanning the the whole decade. However, like Reeves, Shula lost his SBs. '82 and '84

Tom Flores was underated. Two SBs in 4 years and the FIRST minority HC to win the big one. He may forever be the only HC to win SBs in two different cities w/ the same franchise.

Yeah for everybody that thought Brian Mitchell was great, Mike Nelms was greater than great. I've never seen a returner break as many tackles as Mike Nelms. Mitchell was good, but man Mike Nelms was sweet. Sorry seeing that just conjured up my Mike Nelms memories.

Nelms was certainly awesome to watch. Nelms was one of my favorite players during his playing days but B Mitch was even better.

Quick, name the only two position players (not special-teamers) from the 1970s All-Decade First Team who are not in the Hall of Fame.

The answer: Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris are the ONLY position players on the 1970s All-Decade First Team who are not in the Hall of Fame.

It's good to know that so many Redskins fans support the Hall of Fame candidacy of two very deserving Dallas Cowboys.

The answer: Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris are the ONLY position players on the 1970s All-Decade First Team who are not in the Hall of Fame.

Harold Carmichael?

Ken Stabler?

Dick Anderson?

It's good to know that so many Redskins fans support the Hall of Fame candidacy of two very deserving Dallas Cowboys.

You mean with the 5 other Cowboy players of the 70's in the HOF (excluding Ditka and Lilly)? Add them with the 3 (Emmitts a lock) players from the 90's. So far, Redskins have 3 from the 70's and 1 from the 80's... and the 1 from the 80's is included in the 70's... John Riggins. Give us a freakin break. :rolleyes:

Harold Carmichael?

Ken Stabler?

Dick Anderson?

None of them were on the 1970s All-Decade First Team. Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris were. The Redskins fans in this thread seem convinced that making SECOND TEAM all-decade for the 1980s -- which is what Monk did -- means you should be in the Hall of Fame. So they certainly must agree that a first-teamer should make it, right?

None of them were on the 1970s All-Decade First Team. Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris were. The Redskins fans in this thread seem convinced that making SECOND TEAM all-decade for the 1980s -- which is what Monk did -- means you should be in the Hall of Fame. So they certainly must agree that a first-teamer should make it, right?

First of all, I would have no problem with Pearson being a HOFer. Frankly, before I started digging through HOF stats when Monk was getting snubbed I thought Pearson WAS a HOFer.

Secondly, the arguement isn't that any player that makes an all-decade team is automatically a HOF lock. It's simply being noted that many of Monks critics suggest he was never highly thought of in his prime by anyone ... and that this fact trumps his longevity, multiple records, multiple rings and numerous endorsements from teammates and opposing players alike. Well, in addition to all the above qualifications, he was ALSO on the all-decade team of the 80s. So now we are left to wonder what the anti-Monk crowd will dig up next ...

Ummm, excuse me but, from what list are you using, or where do I find this info about First Team? I'm using this one: http://www.nfl.com/history/legends/1970s

Set me straight.

Oh BTW... http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/MonkAr00.htm

Among the league's all-time top 50

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/PearDr00.htm

Drew Pearson is not in the all-time top 50 in any major category

Pearson was All-NFC in 1975 and 2nd Team All-NFC in 1978, but... 1970s All-Decade First Team?

Ummm, excuse me but, from what list are you using, or where do I find this info about First Team? I'm using this one: http://www.nfl.com/history/legends/1970s

Set me straight.

The lists on that site don't differentiate between the first teams and the second teams.

The lists for the 1980s and earlier were done before the Internet boom, so there aren't any active links show just the first teams, but CBS Sportsline used to have them posted. You can see the archived Web pages here --

http://web.archive.org/web/20021121032205/http://ww2.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/legends/alltime70s.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20030219135606/ww2.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/legends/alltime80s.htm

Oh BTW... http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/MonkAr00.htm

Among the league's all-time top 50

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/PearDr00.htm

Drew Pearson is not in the all-time top 50 in any major category

Pearson was All-NFC in 1975 and 2nd Team All-NFC in 1978, but... 1970s All-Decade First Team?

I'm not here to debate the merits of Pearson vs. Monk. I'm just glad that so many Redskins fans believe that Pearson and Cliff Harris should be in the Hall of Fame along with Monk.

The lists on that site don't differentiate between the first teams and the second teams.

Then why didn't you just post the link along with the question?

I'm not here to debate the merits of Pearson vs. Monk. I'm just glad that so many Redskins fans believe that Pearson and Cliff Harris should be in the Hall of Fame along with Monk.

Well, I must admit... they were the best of their era. So yes, they should go in also (along with Bob Hayes)... after Monk, Green and Grimm :D

They had Mel Blount as an 80's All Decade First Teamer CB. He retired in '83. It should have been Darrell Green with Mike Haynes.

Archived