Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monk Protest

StevieInferior

Czabe discussed organizing some sort of protest in Canton during induction weekend. I think it was pretty much tongue and cheek and I doubt a bunch of fans sitting outside will do much. but I was thinking....how about an organized effort to get Monk supporters in the crowd during the induction with some sort of Monk 4 hall Shirts and large banners to be held up to be seen on TV. if we get enough, I am sure some media attention will be brought to Monk. Am i off base?

I actually told my sister last night that I was going to organize something like this. In the nature of getting a group package deal with tickets to the ceremony and a charter bus(or as many as are needed). Then, at the ceremony, ALL put on Monk jerseys and walk out chanting "Monk". The more people, the greater effect.

There are group discounts of 50 or more.

I think it's a great idea even if only one or a handful of fans go. It will draw some attention(tshirts or signs). But I hope anyone who does it is polite enough to respect the other inductees and not heckle during Irvin's speech or anything. It wasn't his fault Art didn't get in. Afterall, WWAD.....

What would Art do?:)

It'd be great if it could be done during the game. That stadium is very small. I've been there. A decent sized group of people chanting "Monk" and holding signs during the many quiet moments of that game would probably get on the air.

Czabe discussed organizing some sort of protest in Canton during induction weekend. I think it was pretty much tongue and cheek and I doubt a bunch of fans sitting outside will do much. but I was thinking....how about an organized effort to get Monk supporters in the crowd during the induction with some sort of Monk 4 hall Shirts and large banners to be held up to be seen on TV. if we get enough, I am sure some media attention will be brought to Monk. Am i off base?

It would disrespectful to the men being inducted, who have nothing to do with Monk being snubbed by the voters. That’s a day for those men, their families, their teammates and their fans. I’d be extremely disappointed and embarrassed if Redskins fans did something stupid like that.

If you want to stage a rally, do it the Saturday before the Super Bowl where the voters get together.

It would disrespectful to the men being inducted, who have nothing to do with Monk being snubbed by the voters. That’s a day for those men, their families, their teammates and their fans. I’d be extremely disappointed and embarrassed if Redskins fans did something stupid like that.

If you want to stage a rally, do it the Saturday before the Super Bowl where the voters get together.

Agreed, please don't dishonor Art by dishonoring those being inducted

Not be self-promotional. Protesting to promote Art goes completely against what Art stood for as a player which was quiet dignity and letting his play speak for itself.

In that spirit, the only good way to demonstrate is for a large scale boycott of the companies that employ those who have kept them out. But Redskins Nation is far too undisciplined to carry out such a demonstration.

You have people on here the day after Monk's snubbing posting dr. z, queen, and pastabelly articles.

I wish Skins fans could hold together on a boycott til the various naysayers employers had to ask said offender to resign due to lost revenue resulting from their purposeful ignorance.

I see nothing wrong with wearing Art Monk jerseys and shirts and maybe signs at the appropriate moments. But I agree with the others that NOTHING should be done to disrupt or in any way take away from the inductees. It is not their fault and any such action would actually work against Art for next year.

A good size contingent at the game with signs and shirts would surely draw the cameras attention. Especially if you worked the TV network name into it.

MC

Why don't we have a large fanbase travel to Canton on induction day with Monk shirts on and just sit right outside the entrance... Just image the publicity we'd get if it was somehow spun "HOF keeps Monk supporters out" and then followed by a picture of 150 people wearing Redskin/Monk gear just sitting on a sidewalk.

Being passive about it has not been working for 7 years, so I agree it is time to escalte, but it is going to have to be a year round thing. How many people are willing to meet in Las Vegas during the NBA All-Star game in their Art Monk jerseys & make some noise? Is a group going to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl?

One guy in here wants to print T-shirts with Monk's stats and career records. The sportswriters already know about the stats. I like the one guy in here that has a picture outside the HOF and it says "Without Monk, It's just a stupid building that looks like a juicer". That on a T-Shirt would look awesome.

Ive been relatively quiet on this subject so far, but in no way does that mean Im disinterested. I guess Ive been holding off on posting so I dont say something out of anger that I dont really mean.

That said, after several days to think about it, again, I can say that I agree that a conservative stance by us, the fans, hasnt worked thus far. I think something needs to be done. I agree that whatever it is, we need to keep it classy. I am not against an earlier posters suggestion of gathering as many Monk fans as possible, sporting his jersey in front of the building in Canton the day inductions. We need not speak a word, our presence would speak volumns.

I was very upset last Saturday when I heard he had been snubbed once again, but I felt sick when I saw that Mike Irvin had made it. Immediately I felt anger for Irvin. But after several days to ponder the subject, that has subsided. He deserves to be in, he really was, as much as I hate to admit it, a great reciever. But I think its a slap in the face of football fans in general, no matter what team you root for on sundays, to elect Irvin before Art.

So as hard as it may be for me to pull off (hectic schedual), I would do my part if we came together collectively. Not just as Redskins fans, but as football fans. Art would not create a stink over this, but I think its our responsibility to make sure he gets his proper place in history.

Count me in.:logo: HAIL

You know what? If I was a John Madden or Charley Taylor I would be pissed. For Micheal Irvin to get into the Hall of Fame after being a crackhead is a discrace. Who's to say he wasn't on those drugs when he made all those plays?

Art Monk was truely a professional at his craft. He played the game and left his production for interpretation by the fans without blowing his own horn. He was a Special player on the field and off. Monk quietly always helping doing charity work off the field. You know we as fans were truely spoiled with the likes of him and Darrell Green. These guys were classy and were rare. This is most evident by todays Look at me its me Athletes.

Monk Is truely deserves better than the HOF. The earlier inducties were true performers beyond thier time. Now they are allowing Hot Aired Crack heads in.

Therefore Monk is too good for the Hall. The previous inducties should be shamed because an elite club that once was worthy on Monk is no longer in that standard.

Let them keep the Hall. There's no honor there anymore.

Guest Rafterman
Not be self-promotional. Protesting to promote Art goes completely against what Art stood for as a player which was quiet dignity and letting his play speak for itself.

EXACTLY

The man conducted himself with class, his fans should honor him with same.

I feel compelled to mention this since the point seems to lost on many.

According to HOF bylaws a players off field behavior does not affect his status for membership.

I'll say it one more time: I players off field behavior does not affect his status for membership.

I can't for the life of me figure out what is so hard to understand.

There are many alcoholics, drug addicts, wife beaters, one murderer (that we know of) with a bust in Canton.

Art will eventually be voted in, and will stand head and shoulders above many inducted before him.

That's his policy for himself. Surely he would stand up for a friend, though. I think it's okay for us to stand up for him on his behalf.

One person briefly alluded to it. We should get several hundred people to go to the game. It's prime time. "A" broadcast team. National coverage. It would make a point that wouldn't infringe on the other players rights at the induction ceremony and probably garner more publicity. Well at least more folks will be watching...

One person briefly alluded to it. We should get several hundred people to go to the game. It's prime time. "A" broadcast team. National coverage. It would make a point that wouldn't infringe on the other players rights at the induction ceremony and probably garner more publicity. Well at least more folks will be watching...

several hundred people wearing Monk jerseys

The bottom line is that if anything needs to be exposed and highlighted, it is the fact that we hear all this bull crap about how many NFL players are suppose to be role models for kids. Someone who in reality stands for all that is good ( Art Monk ) doesn't get into the hall of fame, that tells the real truth; that is a bunch of lies that plays into the NFL' marketing and money hungry people' pockets. We, the hard working people who don't make millions pay for the NFL and our kids see a different reality than that which is advertised!!!!

I've thought about this some more. We should get a whole bunch of folks to go to the HOF Game in Monk jersey's and wear paper bags over our heads. They'll show that on TV. BUT more importantly, inform the media that there will be a Monk protest and tell them that comments and questions should be directed to an appointed spokesperson. Ideally, they would interview that person during the game. The message the spokesperson could convey during the weekend would be tasteful and hopfully persuasive. That the committee process is flawed. There are clear agendas and biases that are hurting the legacy of the game. And one of the classiest and accomplished players in the history of the game is being unjustly treated. That's the message that needs to be spread.

i brought this up a while ago in another thread. and i've had time to let it set in since i posted. ANY protest should not be done IN or BEFORE the inductions. But the appropriate time is to hold it out side of the induction ceremony, maybe in the parking lot, AND after the ceremony. That way those who have been inducted and honored and then as everyone is leaving it will be our turn to be seen and heard. And when we are seen and heard it needs to be classy, respectful and also honoring of the HOF institution to which we believe Monk belongs. We can have a signup booth for those attending the ceremony to also support Monk and also to be notified of future Monk promotions. We should have a plasma TV, as big as we can get with video footage of Monk's career. We need to do this as if we are trying to win people over, not alienate or piss off anyone. Keep in mind the voters will likely be there as well as the media. We should all wear MONK Jersies and I am sure we can get discounts on them or maybe get the Redskins to provide them for anyone going to the "promotest" (promotion+protest)

we don't want to demean the HOF by calling it a "juicer"... with or without Monk that place still needs to be honored by all football fans as it is meant to have all the Greats this game has produced, including MONK.

I don't think Monk belongs to a juicer, so let's stop bringing down this honorable place we feel he belongs to.

Archived