Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hall of Fame Protest/Activist Thread (Merged)

cozmikbuffalo

As suggested by TMK9973 I believe is right , I am volunteering to head up an effort to establish a vehicle to properly express our outrage at the overlooking of Monk as an inductee . And it is not just because he was ignored this year , it's because he was it can be argued one of the new prototype recievers at that time , big , fast , agile and strong that got the league going in an Irvin direction . Yes , there was always Harold Carmicheal of the Eagles . But , Monk was among the first of this class and not only was he good , he statistically and gracefully was the best and retired as the best even though he didn't have a HOF QB and 2 other gifter recievers at any time in his career to share the ball with .

But it is also that there are no HOG's lineman in the HOF either , and so many other Redskins that deserve a ballot slot . Like Gary Clark , Chris Hanberger , Monte Coleman , Hank Mclintock , Manley , Mann , Larry Brown , Kenny Houston , Pat Fischer , etc... and I believe that like TMK993 has suggested the best way to do this is to launch a newspaper campaign with the target the morning of the HOF ceremony in Canton . In this campaign we take out 32 full page ads for each of the voters . Then on each of these voter Bio's we summerize their sportswriting , announcer , journalistic , stastitician careers . Whether they have ever had drunk driving charges or other drug convictions , whether they have contributed to any charities or local organizations for youth etc. Feature some of the work that justifies them judging these highly skilled and talented atheletes in what is the crowning achievements to their careers . Feature their reason for voting the way the did concerning Irvin and Monk .

And then we put the stats of each player and where they stood with their respective peirs and the league . And complaints about being a push offer or dirty player from defensive opponents . And then what each has contributed to in his respective community including embarrasment and scandal with the law . I am confident that by doing this we can bring some level of accountability to these secret voters and the whole crummy process . At least we as Redskins fans can stand up to the machine for our Art Monk and the grace and class that he brought us for all those years and still with all the work he does for the community and the franchise as a whole . We have a lot of greatness in our past and we need to show in strength that we will be heard on this by the NFL and HOF . Even more importantly we will prove to our players how much pride there is in this organization and them . That they represent us and when they do it like Art Monk did his whole career that we will fight just as hard for them .

Is anybody interested in working on this with me ? There will be a lot of research and graphic considerations . I am not going to say that I am qualified to head this thing up , but I will do my best to co-ordinate with others co-operatively as I know that there are fans out there with advertising and newpaper ad experience probably . I am a retired Union Electrician living on disability and retirement but if there is a desire to let our frustration be known than I am willing to put up 400.00 towards this thing right now as well as do the research on the voters , varify the accuracy of statements made and statistics shown . Is anyone interested in helping me on this ? I don't even know how to openly and fairly collect funds for this venture , HELP ME PLEASE !!

Coz :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :logo: :logo: :notworthy

Great idea! Wish I thought of it... :)

It's not libel if it's true. But that's that not the point. It doesn't have to be disrectfull.

That last of my idea was, if we can get enough money, the past way to do it is to hire a media firm.

Send me a PM - I'll help where I can!

I agree that the best way to go about this is to hire a professional. However we'd probably never be able to raise enough dough to do it that way. We do have 50K or so members on this board. Surely one of them knows PR and would be willing to help out.

I'd certainly be willing to donate to the cause though.

Great idea! Wish I thought of it... :)

It's not libel if it's true. But that's that not the point. It doesn't have to be disrectfull.

That last of my idea was, if we can get enough money, the past way to do it is to hire a media firm.

Send me a PM - I'll help where I can!

I have contacted the Public Relations office of the Redskins through the e-mail the Redskins on Redskins.com and told them of your idea and my commitment to it upon their uproval to go ahead with it , who knows they may assist somehow . The idea is a good one and thanks for thinking of it . It cannot be liable if it's factual and commentary on the voters resumes and personal quotes by the voters in articles and statements they have made in print . Finding out their criminal record if they have one is protected under the freedom of information act , if they have a gambling problem , if their alchoholic etc goes to character . If they contribute to any charities or do service for their communities is again part of their resume .

At the bottom of the pages we will show the players Monk on on side and Irvin on the other . When they came into the league , what college they came from and their stats respectively for each year . Their professional stats , how long they played , what records they held or broke , their leadership of their respective teams and their contributions to their communities and charities the participate in or are a part of and any faus paus or scandals they may have been involved with from college through pro's and I don't think anyone will be able to argue that this snub of Monk and all the others that have a continue to take place for eligible Redskin players .

I don't know how to set up a way to collect prospective funds where it's totally a transparent process or exactly how to go about it , but , I'm a team player and openly accept anyones help with this . Hey man , let's win one for Art's sake . And maybe in the process initiate enough of a buzz that the voting can get into the hands of the players , coaches and fans . After all it should be more of a fan excersize anyway don't you think .

Coz :helmet: :logo: :D:cheers:

however if Green AND Monk don't BOTH make it into the HOF in 2008, i cannot be held responsible for my actions.

This isn't going to happen my fellow fan.

Darrell Green is going to have the same problem as Monk. It will be interesting to see how they do it but I am sure they will keep him out.

They are two of my absolute favorite players ever and this is so disgusting it makes my head hurt.

Hey you guys , talk to all your buddies and let's make this thing happen I can't do it alone . Let's fight for our players and make a statement for the record !!!!

Coz

I can only help financially. Get this going and let us see some results and I don't think you will have to much trouble getting help from the ES community in the form of $$$$.

Just my :2cents:

Something needs to be done about this. I refuse to believe that we as fans can do nothing. The NFL insults the Redskins by putting Irvin in the Hall of Fame before Monk. Here are my ideas on what we and the Redskins organization should do.

1) This one is up to Danny. Art Monk's number should be officially retired next season. There is only one number that is officially retired for the Redskins (Slingin Sammy!) If 81 were retired that could send another powerful message.

2) I know many Redskins players are lobbying for Monk to get in but I don't think they are trying hard enough. They should start making a huge deal of it. I'm talking about guys that are respected by the rest of the league like Riggins and Green. They should be more vocal about this.

3) Redskins fans should hold a massive protest at the Hall of Fame Induction cermony this year. They should chant loud and proudly "WE WANT MONK" as Irvin gets inducted.

4) I know alot of us are doing this already but not everyone is. We should send as many annoying emails as possible to all these stupid sports writers.

Please - Here is everyone's homework assignment. Find a email address for any of these people and please put it here. I don't want their personal email, find their work email (Most probably have it listed on a web site are article).

Once it's here, if you want to voice your thoughts about leaving Monk out and voting in Irvin - Well - This is how you can do it.

Arizona Kent Somers, Arizona Republic

Atlanta- Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

Baltimore Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV

Buffalo Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News

Carolina Charles Chandler, Charlotte Observer

Chicago Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune*

Cincinnati Chick Ludwig, Dayton Daily News

Cleveland Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*

Denver Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

Detroit Jerry Green, The Detroit News*

Green Bay Cliff Christl, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle*

Indianapolis Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star

Jacksonville Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV

Kansas City Bob Gretz, KCFX Overland Park, KS

Miami Edwin Pope, Miami Herald*

Minnesota Sid Hartman, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune

New England Ron Borges, Boston Globe

New Orleans Pete Finney, Times-Picayune

New York (Giants)Vinny DiTrani, Bergen Record

New York (Jets) Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated

Oakland Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

Philadelphia Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News

Pittsburgh Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

St. Louis Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

San Diego Jerry Magee, San Diego Union Tribune*

San Francisco Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange*

Seattle John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN Magazine

Tampa Bay Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune

Tennessee David Climer, The Tennessean

Washington David Elfin, Washington Times

PFWA Charean Williams, Ft. Worth Star Telegram

At Large Howard Balzer, The Sports Xchange

At Large Jarrett Bell, USA Today

At Large Dave Goldberg, Associated Press*

At Large Peter King, Sports Illustrated

At Large Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times

At Large Len Shapiro, Miami Herald*

At Large Jim Trotter, San Diego Union-Tribune

3) Redskins fans should hold a massive protest at the Hall of Fame Induction cermony this year. They should chant loud and proudly "WE WANT MONK" as Irvin gets inducted.

I agree with every point except this one. Let's not spoil anything for anyone else. As much as I despise the fact that Irvin has gotten in before Monk, I think it would embarrass Monk to have fans actively trying to ruin someone else's moment, even Irvin's. Everything else, I am with 100 percent.

DjTj has already done this. Click the link in his sig.
Click on my sig. I have e-mail addresses and everything each voter has ever written in print about voting for Art Monk.

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/

Hate mail probably won't be all that productive, but you can do it if it makes you feel better. I'll probably wait a couple weeks then e-mail each voter to try to find out how they voted.

Archived