Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Barbaro

Phannman66

I also remember hearing that they loved the horse so much they were going to keep it alive, and breeding wasn't their intentions of keeping him alive. This isn't the first time a horse has been saved from an injury where most people told them to just put the horse down. In fact I'm sure some of us who know at least alittle about horse racing saw the movie about one of them ;).

I have no doubt in my mind the owners cared so much for their horse they wanted to keep him alive not even thinking about making another cent on him.

RIP Barbaro.

Are you being intentionally dense?

You intentionally being an *******? I guess I should just become a cold hearted, cynic and stop caring.

By the way, you want a true definition of hypocritical - its getting mad that there isn't more coverage of horses dying while racing and than getting mad when they actually do cover one. Now, that is hypocritical. Maybe you should look at the good all this coverage could create - maybe this will inspire someone to work on horses that will eventually find a way to save horses like Barbaro. Don't know maybe that's just my optimistic way. Not everyone can be a cynic.

I also remember hearing that they loved the horse so much they were going to keep it alive, and breeding wasn't their intentions of keeping him alive. This isn't the first time a horse has been saved from an injury where most people told them to just put the horse down. In fact I'm sure some of us who know at least alittle about horse racing saw the movie about one of them ;).

I have no doubt in my mind the owners cared so much for their horse they wanted to keep him alive not even thinking about making another cent on him.

RIP Barbaro.

I'm sure this has happened before. I'm sure these owners cared for Barbaro a lot. But these are by FAR the exceptions, and not the rule.

You intentionally being an *******? I guess I should just become a cold hearted, cynic and stop caring.

By the way, you want a true definition of hypocritical - its getting mad that there isn't more coverage of horses dying while racing and than getting mad when they actually do cover one. Now, that is hypocritical. Maybe you should look at the good all this coverage could create - maybe this will inspire someone to work on horses that will eventually find a way to save horses like Barbaro. Don't know maybe that's just my optimistic way. Not everyone can be a cynic.

Wow...you must be.

Here's where you went wrong: I'm upset that the horses are dying period, not that they aren't covering it.

Wow...you must be.

Here's where you went wrong: I'm upset that the horses are dying period, not that they aren't covering it.

And you are too, sir. Where you went wrong was assuming that I don't care about other horses dying. Sometime assuming only makes an ass out of you. ;)

I'm sure this has happened before. I'm sure these owners cared for Barbaro a lot. But these are by FAR the exceptions, and not the rule.

oh I agree they are the exceptions, but that's who this is about...Barbaro, the exception. So in regards to him, he is one of the exceptions. So RIP Barbaro. ;)

And you are too, sir. Where you went wrong was assuming that I don't care about other horses dying. Sometime assuming only makes an ass out of you. ;)

You messed that all up. Its when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me. :laugh:

I never assumed that you didn't feel bad about all the other horses dying. I think its hypocritical to get all weepy-eyed over this one horse when he's roughly 1.5% of the race horses that will die this year.

Don't kid yourself. The money spent on this horse wasn't out of any love of the horse. This was about being able to reap millions in stud fees. It was purely business.

As much as I liked the horse and as much as my son was pulling for him, I have to agree with stevenaa on this one; any other horse would have been "put down" on the track where he lay. They invested as much money into Barbaro as they thought they could recoup in stud fees. My guess is that they were "milking" him throughout his recovery for insemination purposes. Here in the Bluegrass (Horse country) or Kentucky, as much as we love our horses we are fully aware that those multi-million dollar horse farms aren't being built simply for the love of the animals. It is HUGE $$$, so much so that one of the Saudi sheiks flies two planes over to Lexington each year, 1 for the people and 1 for the horses that he buys at Keenland's annual auction.

As much as I liked the horse and as much as my son was pulling for him, I have to agree with stevenaa on this one; any other horse would have been "put down" on the track where he lay. They invested as much money into Barbaro as they thought they could recoup in stud fees. My guess is that they were "milking" him throughout his recovery for insemination purposes. Here in the Bluegrass (Horse country) or Kentucky, as much as we love our horses we are fully aware that those multi-million dollar horse farms aren't being built simply for the love of the animals. It is HUGE $$$, so much so that one of the Saudi sheiks flies two planes over to Lexington each year, 1 for the people and 1 for the horses that he buys at Keenland's annual auction.

Actually, it was mentioned early on after his initial injuries that they would never see a dime on stud fees because his injuries would prevent him from being a stud.

not hard to figure out.

it amazes me that we have an RIP barbaro thread, and a fight breaks out.

That amazes you? :laugh: How long have you been here? This is one of the tamer threads this board has seen. A valid point about the horse-racing industry was brought up in a thread about a race-horse. What's wrong with that?? :confused:

That amazes you? :laugh: How long have you been here? This is one of the tamer threads this board has seen. A valid point about the horse-racing industry was brought up in a thread about a race-horse. What's wrong with that?? :confused:

The :confused: looks like the :( , if the :( was about to :puke:

well, this thread isn't a thread about the horse racing industry, it's an RIP barbaro thread. but yeah, it is pretty tame i guess.

I don't get it. It was a horse. I'm glad it's dead. I don't have to hear about it anymore. :2cents:

i don't really get it either. but that's because i don't work with/ live horses. when barbaro went down, people that had no attachment to him other than watching him on tv cried. i don't get it, but i have zero comprehension of the horse/human bond.

except epona. link, epona and i are real tight.

i don't really get it either. but that's because i don't work with/ live horses. when barbaro went down, people that had no attachment to him other than watching him on tv cried. i don't get it, but i have zero comprehension of the horse/human bond.

except epona. link, epona and i are real tight.

Oh man, that made me LOL. Took a second for me to get that one too.

Actually, it was mentioned early on after his initial injuries that they would never see a dime on stud fees because his injuries would prevent him from being a stud.

And for all who said it was just about the money the point that the horse was insured is not one that has been mentioned. The owners could have put down Barbaro immediately and pocketed an estimated $25-30 million.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.insurance24may24,0,7305952.story?coll=bal-sports-horse

When Barbaro broke down during the Preakness Stakes, his owners held insurance to cover them in the event of a catastrophic injury to the horse, which was likely worth at least $25 million to $30 million - and more if he had won.

Owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson had purchased two types of insurance on the prized colt: one for if the Kentucky Derby winner dies, and the other to protect them if he is unable to fulfill his potential as a stud, Roy Jackson said yesterday.

The Jacksons wouldn't say precisely how much the insurance was worth, suggesting any money they might receive would be meaningless compared with the tragedy that befell the horse. "There couldn't be enough money in the world," Gretchen Jackson said.

Maybe Rince is right...sometimes taking the cynic's view is an injustice to the parties involved.

Except for our PETA poster boy Jrock...he is the resident thoroughbred expert who claimed that his only point was that other horses are dying every day and his mission was to draw notice to that. Then why did he suggest that Barbaro's owners were in it for the money?

As an owner of an incredibly smart and gifted border collie, it saddens me to see humans so self-richeous about being the king of beasts. Animals are helpless compared to us, and no matter what the circumstance we shouldn't roll our eyes at the time a great athelete dies. Yeah you might laugh at "athelete", but Barbaro would run the hell over any human being in the world and take a huge dump on them. We have larger brains and guns, so that makes them nothing to us? Let's take a step away from being so involved in the corporate side of things and understand the incredible training and suffering Barbaro had every day of his life, especially near the end. Animals are family members to a lot of people, and I respect Barbaro more than most humans in this world. I'd rather hear about some nobody die than a horse like that. That's all.

Archived