Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Barbaro

Phannman66

so if you get cancer I don't expect you to have any treatment for it, cause all those procedures to save your life would be appalling, you are just a human-being...

Don't kid yourself. The money spent on this horse wasn't out of any love of the horse. This was about being able to reap millions in stud fees. It was purely business.

This happens daily on racetracks around the world. Barbaro happened to get some press, and was worth millions of dollars, so everyone thinks its "sad and inspirational." Give me a break. It IS sad, but its sad in the fact that this happens ALL THE TIME to horses, except without all the efforts to keep them alive to begin with. Most of the time, a horse breaks its leg, they put him down automatically.

Don't kid yourself. The money spent on this horse wasn't out of any love of the horse. This was about being able to reap millions in stud fees. It was purely business.

I'm not really kidding anybody.. they don't really need him to seed a female.. artificial incimination?

As a horse owner myself, I have very mixed feelings on this.

On one hand I am pleased to see that they're not going to continue putting Barbaro through more pain and surgery when it has become apparant that it wasn't going to lead to the horse having a happy and healthy life.

On the other hand it infuriates me that once again we see the reason that so many of us HATE the horse racing industry glossed over when something like this happens. These people are asking pre-pubescant animals (2 & 3 years olds) to push their bodies well beyond what they are physically ready to do at that age. Your general riding horse won't even have a saddle on their backs until they're 3 or 4 years old (at least), and won't truly be fully broken for a year or two beyond that. Additionally, if the horse gets hurt or fails to win, they get discarded like yesterday's newspaper. The extents of medical treatment done for Barbaro are quite unusual in that business.

Thankfully that beautiful horse is now in a better place. A place where he can run and play without pain or injury. Where he can be a horse again, instead of an 'athlete' or a commodity as he was during his time on earth.

This happens daily on racetracks around the world. Barbaro happened to get some press, and was worth millions of dollars, so everyone thinks its "sad and inspirational." Give me a break. It IS sad, but its sad in the fact that this happens ALL THE TIME to horses, except without all the efforts to keep them alive to begin with. Most of the time, a horse breaks its leg, they put him down automatically.

Yep...I really feel, if Barbaro hadn't been such a media darling and in the spotlight, he would've been euthanized they day of the race. That's just the way horse racing is. I think they prolonged things and spent all the money on surgery in part to save face in the media.

It is a sad thing, but not really a suprise to me. the biggest suprise to me was actually that they waited so long.

The owners would have still spent every penny they did to keep him alive even if they didn't put him out to stud. Their attachment to this animal went way beyond financial gain.

The owners would have still spent every penny they did to keep him alive even if they didn't put him out to stud. Their attachment to this animal went way beyond financial gain.

Gallnt - surely you're not suggesting that there are people in this world with compasion beyond $$$ signs? :rolleyes:

A lot of cold hearted ****s in this thread - RIP Barbaro. :(

so, what its just a horse.All the procedures to save this animal was appalling.

Thanos, you've obviously never been around horses. I've had dogs and cats in my life, but it was never until I started spending time with horses that I found a true friend in the animal world. The bond between a person and a horse can be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in the animal world.

The fact that Dyre (my horse) lets this uncoordinated, dumbass guy (me) get on his back and put a stick of metal in his mouth and pretend that I'm in charge without dumping me on the ground and doing the Mexican Hat Dance on me is nothing short of a miracle. When it is his time to go, I will be devastated.

I actually agree with Mass for once. The bond between a horse and owner is often quite remarkable. My father in law owns a horse which he keeps a few miles from my house and my daughter goes to the barn on most weekends...it's really been a great experience for her.

These owners have said from day one as long as Barbaro was not in too much pain they'd help him fight to stay alive as they looked at him as a family member.

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-barbarodeath&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Jacksons spent tens of thousands of dollars hoping the best horse they ever owned would recover and be able to live a comfortable life on the farm -- whether he was able to breed or not.

The couple, who own about 70 racehorses, broodmares and yearlings, and operate the 190-acre Lael Farm, have been in the horse business for 30 years, and never had a horse like Barbaro.

This entire process went on for 8 months. You can't tell me there was no "fluid" extracted or taken by artificial means from this Kentucky Derby winning horse during the 8 months he was in the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. I wish I could believe that.

RIP Barbaro..............you deserve it.

My bosses are very much into quarter horses. They had one horse they really loved die somewhat unexpectedly and were involved in a first in veterinary medicine. They removed eggs form the deceased horses ovaries and successfully bred a horse from them. It's still living on the farm with them today. Here is the link to the article about it.

Article

:laugh: You keep telling yourself that. :laugh:

Gallnt - surely you're not suggesting that there are people in this world with compasion beyond $$$ signs? :rolleyes:

A lot of cold hearted ****s in this thread - RIP Barbaro. :(

Are you guys denying that horses are usually euthanized the day of the race if they suffer an injury similar to Barbaro's?? If you want to feel bad for some horses, how about all the horses that aren't even given 1/10th the shot that Barbaro was? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

While we're on the topic, how about the close to 100,000 animals that are euthanized every month in this country in animal shelters?

Yeah, its sad that Barbaro died, but its even sadder that people get all weepy-eyed over him and ignore what's actually going on. :(

:laugh: You keep telling yourself that. :laugh:

Are you guys denying that horses are usually euthanized the day of the race if they suffer an injury similar to Barbaro's?? If you want to feel bad for some horses, how about all the horses that aren't even given 1/10th the shot that Barbaro was? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

While we're on the topic, how about the close to 100,000 animals that are euthanized every month in this country in animal shelters?

Yeah, its sad that Barbaro died, but its even sadder that people get all weepy-eyed over him and ignore what's actually going on. :(

You really do fling ****, huh? When did I say I didn't feel bad for every animal that has to be put down early... or even when it is truly their time? You probably get mad when a human interest story about a specific soldier that has died hits the news too.

Don't know if you've noticed my posting history in these sorts of threads - but I always feel bad when anything or anyone dies. Look up any thread where people are celebrating the death of an enemy of America or some child molesting pervert - I don't get celebrating death. When someone or something in this world dies - it is sad. Please point out my hypocrisy.

If this was a thread about the death of a human being, I would probably not post what I'm about to post. I would rather say nothing at all then something negative about a human and I would respect the thread creators wish to keep it positive.

However, this is a horse. I'll be the first to admit that I hate horseracing and horse people. They live, eat, and sleep horses and their incessant horse-talk is the bane of my existence. One of the most annoying forces on Earth IMO.

It is indeed unfortunate that this horse died as a product of the nutjobs greedy obsession with horseracing. But I could not stomach one more mention of that horse. The media just would not let this thing die (the story, not the horse).

OK. I'm done. Thank you for your time.

Archived