Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Barbaro

Phannman66

Where can you buy some of this glue or dog food? It probably has special powers :laugh:

You know, I can understand the people who don't comprehend why some of us are mourning the loss of this horse's life. I can even see some of the comments about "it's just a horse"; but this comment is unneccessary and out of line so far as I'm concerned. For that, I hope if you ever do get to spend time with a horse, you get double barreled just below the belt buckle. It would serve you right.

You horse people are the weirdest people to walk the Earth.

DoGood, go spend some time around horses and tell me you feel the same way. I never got involved with horses until my early 20's and the only horse people I knew before that always seemed a little "odd". Now I know why.... Because those people who've been befriended by a horse know the truest form of trust and friendship in the world. Hell, if I had to make a choice between keeping my horse or most of my friends, the horse would win every time. He'd win out over a bunch of my family members too.

Oh, and if you want to see the weirdest people on the planet.... check out the people who are owned by cats or dogs that compete in breed shows. Now THERE is a bunch of ODD people.

You know, I can understand the people who don't comprehend why some of us are mourning the loss of this horse's life. I can even see some of the comments about "it's just a horse"; but this comment is unneccessary and out of line so far as I'm concerned. For that, I hope if you ever do get to spend time with a horse, you get double barreled just below the belt buckle. It would serve you right.

Harsh words from someone who has no regard for human life.

Except for our PETA poster boy Jrock...he is the resident thoroughbred expert who claimed that his only point was that other horses are dying every day and his mission was to draw notice to that. Then why did he suggest that Barbaro's owners were in it for the money?

Funny you call me out, when I didn't even bring that up in the first place. And the "PETA posterboy" comment is unnecessary. I can feel bad that hundreds of horses a year are being killed without being a PETA fanatic. :rolleyes:

I've said I'm sure these people liked the horse. But if they loved the horse so much, why didn't they just keep it as a pet? Why did they enter it into horse racing to begin with? TO MAKE MONEY. Maybe they'll loan you some to buy a clue...

My bosses are very much into quarter horses. They had one horse they really loved die somewhat unexpectedly and were involved in a first in veterinary medicine. They removed eggs form the deceased horses ovaries and successfully bred a horse from them. It's still living on the farm with them today. Here is the link to the article about it.

Article

Too much information.

There has never been a better time in the history of the board EVER to use this line:

Pot, meet kettle. :laugh:

DoGood, go spend some time around horses and tell me you feel the same way. I never got involved with horses until my early 20's and the only horse people I knew before that always seemed a little "odd". Now I know why.... Because those people who've been befriended by a horse know the truest form of trust and friendship in the world. Hell, if I had to make a choice between keeping my horse or most of my friends, the horse would win every time. He'd win out over a bunch of my family members too.

Oh, and if you want to see the weirdest people on the planet.... check out the people who are owned by cats or dogs that compete in breed shows. Now THERE is a bunch of ODD people.

LOL. Touche.:laugh:

I definitely understand the passion for horses. Easily one of the most beautiful and intelligent animals on this planet. But the people I'm referring to, and I don't believe you are lumped into this category, are the big ugly hat-wearing race goers, the t-shirt wearers that have a humongous horse head screen printed on the front that seem to be their entire wardrobe, and the ones that say that they would rather hear most other humans die than this horse that he has no connections to other than what he reads or hears in the news...

Interesting thread. Only two comments:

1. There is definitely something odd about feeling more compassion for a horse than for a human.

2. Mass, I've read your "Ask MSF a Question" thread, and certainly understand why you may feel closer to horses than humans, but I definitely think that almost anyone would feel a greater bond to specific other humans if they tried. My mom loves horses, but there's no way in hell she would give up her friends or family for them. And that's not just an obligation.

I definitely understand the passion for horses. Easily one of the most beautiful and intelligent animals on this planet. But the people I'm referring to, and I don't believe you are lumped into this category, are the big ugly hat-wearing race goers, the t-shirt wearers that have a humongous horse head screen printed on the front that seem to be their entire wardrobe, and the ones that say that they would rather hear most other humans die than this horse that he has no connections to other than what he reads or hears in the news...

Also one of the most forgiving and loving creatures on the planet. I should beg Dyre's forgiveness for my screw-ups every time I ride, simply because he puts up with my failings, doesn't toss me off in the middle of the ring and do a dance on my head. As a very wise woman reminds me quite often... "Horses can't speak english, but humans can learn basic 'horse'. We need remember that more often."

The thing you have to realize is that horses mean different things to different people. To the 'ugly hat' crew, they're a business and little more. To the horse head shirt crew, they're often either a memory of childhood, or a wish that never quite came true.

For some of us, they're part of the family. A loved and cherished friend and companion who looks at us as somebody who can do no wrong. We're the Bringer-of-Apples, the Comber-of-Tangled-Tails, the Fly-Spray-Bearer; and for that and a bunch of other reasons these magnificent creatures ALLOW US into their lives. If that makes me a nutjob, I'm fine with that.

Why is it odd? Is being homosexual any less "odd"? A pet is something you grow attached to. You learn to communicate with it and it depends on you while you both have a blast day in and day out. Would I rather see some junkies or a-holes die than a great animal? Yes. That's a no-brainer. It's all about compassion. There shouldn't be some self-richeous "better than thou" attitude towards animals...because that's all we are anyway.

I think of my dog like my daughter. She is very smart and very entertaining. More faithful and honorable than most punk-ass humans on this planet. I'd take her to live over most anything in the world. Think a little outside of your own box if you've never had a pet. They give me just as much grief when they died as when my friends did. Because they were both friends, and that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Difference in species does not conquer compassion.

The owners would have still spent every penny they did to keep him alive even if they didn't put him out to stud. Their attachment to this animal went way beyond financial gain.

I would be inclined to agree if this was a family riding pet. It wasn't. It was a commodity. It's a horrid sport that brutalizes horses.

Why is it odd? Is being homosexual any less "odd"? A pet is something you grow attached to. You learn to communicate with it and it depends on you while you both have a blast day in and day out. Would I rather see some junkies or a-holes die than a great animal? Yes. That's a no-brainer. It's all about compassion. There shouldn't be some self-richeous "better than thou" attitude towards animals...because that's all we are anyway.

I think of my dog like my daughter. She is very smart and very entertaining. More faithful and honorable than most punk-ass humans on this planet. I'd take her to live over most anything in the world. Think a little outside of your own box if you've never had a pet. They give me just as much grief when they died as when my friends did. Because they were both friends, and that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Difference in species does not conquer compassion.

You argue that animals should not be held to a lesser value than humans, but at the sametime you value every animal over most humans?! I'm also getting caught up on the whole "most" humans thing. I can guarantee that most humans are not "punk-ass". You need a little more respect for your common man than you are giving...

Yeah, it's called joking......and I have been around horses, I took lessons as a kid. Lighten up man, you cut out the part where I said RIP too.

I've had pets die and I've had family die. It's not even close. I love my dog, but I'm sure as hell not going to care as much about my dog dying as I will when my dad dies. To me, feeling contrary to that is definitely "odd." Honestly, I don't even know what else to say. By genetics we may be just animals but anyone with an ounce of sense can see the differences. There is compassion and then there's...oddity.

I've had pets die and I've had family die. It's not even close. I love my dog, but I'm sure as hell not going to care as much about my dog dying as I will when my dad dies. To me, feeling contrary to that is definitely "odd." Honestly, I don't even know what else to say. By genetics we may be just animals but anyone with an ounce of sense can see the differences. There is compassion and then there's...oddity.

LOL. Exactly.

Although, I don't think he was saying that he would grieve more for his dog than his Father. I think he was referring to people that he didn't know or care about. However, the fact remains the same. You are not of the majority doublestroker. Therefore, you are odd.

I would be inclined to agree if this was a family riding pet. It wasn't. It was a commodity. It's a horrid sport that brutalizes horses.

steven, as a horse owner I'm not a real big fan of the racing industry myself, but your viewpoint seems more cynical than I think it needs to be.

Yes, the racing business is just that for these people, but I have a difficult time believing that their sole motivation in attempting to bring Barbaro back from the catastrophic injury he suffered on the track was financial in nature. From a purely financial standpoint, the best thing for them to do would have been to put Barbaro down while he was laying on that track. Instead they poured thousands of dollars and nearly a year worth of time into trying to bring him back to health. Did they have the same sort of relationship with Barbaro that I have with my horse; probably not. That doesn't mean they didn't have an emotional attachment to him.

steven, as a horse owner I'm not a real big fan of the racing industry myself, but your viewpoint seems more cynical than I think it needs to be.

Yes, the racing business is just that for these people, but I have a difficult time believing that their sole motivation in attempting to bring Barbaro back from the catastrophic injury he suffered on the track was financial in nature. From a purely financial standpoint, the best thing for them to do would have been to put Barbaro down while he was laying on that track. Instead they poured thousands of dollars and nearly a year worth of time into trying to bring him back to health. Did they have the same sort of relationship with Barbaro that I have with my horse; probably not. That doesn't mean they didn't have an emotional attachment to him.

This may be true, but I don't think you're taking into account the financial gain they were set to gain from putting him out to stud.

Jrock, meet ignore. :laugh:

I've been on MSF's ignore list for a long time now. If you meant your own, then nice knowin' ya! :ciao:

Careful...you'll get labeled "PETA posterboy" with that kind of talk! :rolleyes:

natec, I lost my father in 2001 and it took me a long time to get over it. When I eventually lose either/both of the horses in my life, I don't expect that the emotions are going to be much less intense. Especially since spending time with one of these horses is a large part of how I got over losing my father. I understand that there's a difference between losing my father and the death of these animals, but that doesn't mean I won't miss them. Hell, I was nearly appopleptic when we had to sell a horse some years ago. I've had dogs in my life, but none of them have ever had a conncection to me the way the horses in my life have.

This may be true, but I don't think you're taking into account the financial gain they were set to gain from putting him out to stud.

I'm quite aware of the stud fees that a Kentucky Derby winner can bring. I read constantly the fees that much lower level horses are bringing these days and get flabergasted.

I also get the feeling that this event may have taught these people that the horses in their lives are more than just organic race cars to be bred and used and thrown away like old sheetmetal. Will it change the way they do business in the future?... probably not; but maybe it will remind them that these magnificent creatures are more than just products on the shelf.

natec, I lost my father in 2001 and it took me a long time to get over it. When I eventually lose either/both of the horses in my life, I don't expect that the emotions are going to be much less intense. Especially since spending time with one of these horses is a large part of how I got over losing my father. I understand that there's a difference between losing my father and the death of these animals, but that doesn't mean I won't miss them. Hell, I was nearly appopleptic when we had to sell a horse some years ago. I've had dogs in my life, but none of them have ever had a conncection to me the way the horses in my life have.

Mass, I can remember reading a post of yours on the topic of your father. More or less it said that you'd trade anything, ANYTHING you had for one more day, hour, minute with your father. It was particularly moving and somewhat chilling in the sense that I know I will feel the same way and additionally an immense amount of regret for not doing everything I can to cherish that time.

Getting to the point, will you feel that way about Dyre? I simply find it hard to believe that one could feel that type of remorse over something of a different species. There's got to be some sort of psychology here, but I'm not the one to analyze that.

Archived