Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Opens Door to Possibility of Stepping Down?

kingdaddy

I live in the Philadelphia area and last night on Comcast they had a show on that included the top story of the day from each of the cities including NY, Philly, Washington and one other city. There were 4 reporters on the show and they each had a top story they were given time to talk about. The guy from DC, and I didn't catch his name, said that Coach Gibbs, thru either the media or his website, stated that he may have to step down from coaching at some point if he is needed by his family (dealing with his grandchild's illness). This really caught me off-guard. The reporter added that Gibbs said "nothing is imminent" but it is a possibilty in the future. Although it doesn't appear that he will have to do so at this point, he has always said that God and family come before football.

Did anyone else see this show?

Then, they asked each reporter who would be the likely successor should Coach Gibbs step down and none of them had a good answer. One guy said it would "probably be the defensive coach" they have.

Hopefully this will not be an issue but I don't see anyone talking about this today and I didn't see it in a search.

I'll try and get the guys name who reported this. He had salt/pepper hair and looked to be in his mid to late 40's.

From his personal website, a message from a couple of days ago:

http://www.joegibbsonline.com/weekly_game_plan.php?item=73

Not a single word spoken about stepping down, not even a hint at such (other than to reiterate football is the 3rd most important in his life).

Probably another case of a reporter "reading between the lines" and trying to make a story where there really is none.

I've criticized Gibbs a lot for his coaching and decisionmaking over the past 3 years, and I stand by every bit that criticism as far as it concerns his role as a coach. But he is clearly a very honorable and devoted individual, and deserves our utmost respect as a person. (not that he doesn't get it from us)

The internet is simply full of lies these days ?

And stop the radio guy said this. The radio people are not the ones that break stories.

That keeps happning on every teams message board. Its always i heard this on the radio.

Its never true. .COM guys break stories. Not guys who do not even know Greg Williams name.

There is a story every month about Gibbs leaving.

And stop the radio guy said this. The radio people are not the ones that break stories.

That keeps happning on every teams message board. Its always i heard this on the radio.

Its never true. .COM guys break stories. Not guys who do not even know Greg Williams name.

Speaking of stories started on the internet, you were claiming weeks ago that Byner was gone and that he and Gibbs were no longer on speaking terms. I haven't seen any confirmation on this elsewhere and was just wondering if you had an update (you seemed to have some inside info on this). Thanks, my friend.

Speaking of stories started on the internet, you were claiming weeks ago that Byner was gone and that he and Gibbs were no longer on speaking terms. I haven't seen any confirmation on this elsewhere and was just wondering if you had an update (you seemed to have some inside info on this). Thanks, my friend.

Stick with the subject. You could PM for this. Stop making everything so personel.

I guess I should have just asked you huh? Obviously this was a big enough story that they spent a good 5 minutes talking about it on Comcast. Next time I'll just email you so you can give me your two cents worth. Thanks for clearing everything up for me.

I've seen this show. Brian Mitchell's on it a lot. What they said about Gibbs stepping down was speculation. However, I do think there's a definite possibility he will step down because of his grandson's illness.

Thats what you hope. He was at the nascar event when he was doing the interviews.

His grandsons illness was caught early. It is not like the adult version.

People just talk without doing research.

Thats what you hope. He was at the nascar event when he was doing the interviews.

His grandsons illness was caught early. It is not like the adult version.

People just talk without doing research.

I'm hoping his grandson's alright. And yes I think it's a "possibility" he could walk away because of this. I think you'd be naive not to think it's possible.

I'm hoping his grandson's alright. And yes I think it's a "possibility" he could walk away because of this. I think you'd be naive not to think it's possible.

It is not his personalty to give up. Go to his site and educate yourself.

If his grandson died yeah. Or if he had health problems himself.

He is not going to give up because he is upset. He has too much faith in God that everything will all right.

That is why his son JD and him are still working nascar events.

He has a site. No need to speculate.

It is not his personalty to give up. Go to his site and educate yourself.

If his grandson died yeah. Or if he had health problems himself.

He is not going to give up because he is upset. He has too much faith in God that everything will all right.

That is why his son JD and him are still working nascar events.

He has a site. No need to speculate.

Give up on what? He's 66, has 3 SB rings and is in the HOF. He's proven himself to the sport of football. His grandson's leukemia (life threatening or not) is the type of the thing that can make you reevaluate. That's all I'm saying. So please stop jumping on me for being "Gibbs hater" for thinking it's possible he might step down.

Give up on what? He's 66, has 3 SB rings and is in the HOF. He's proven himself to the sport of football. His grandson's leukemia (life threatening or not) is the type of the thing that can make you reevaluate. That's all I'm saying. So please stop jumping on me for being "Gibbs hater" for thinking it's possible he might step down.

All speculation. Go to his site. No need to try to get in someones mind. He tells you how he feels every week.

At the end of the message he said , hope to see you again once a month in the " off season"

That does that sound like someone who wants to quit? The interviews he was doing were at a ( NASCAR event)

That is work. I do not like nascar but they are working.

I might step down. You might step down. But according to his messgas he will not step down.

Archived