Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walt Harris,Carlos, and The GW System

Soup

Fickle??? 3 to 9 to 31... How do you describe fickle?

Maybe not fickle, but very fairwheather. One bad season out of three doesnt warrent his firing or even half of the flack he has been catching over having a sub-par season after blowing the doors off of other defenses previously. What, GW is not allowed to make mistakes? He isnt allowed to have players get hurt and thus affect the overall defense's productivity? :rolleyes: Over one bad season, people turn on him and bad mouth him, but they wernt when he was winning. That is the definition of someone who is labeled as a "fairwhether fan, or friend." They are behind someone or something until times get rough, then they bash the very thing they stood behind or for in the first place when things dont go perfectly. I agree that the defense didnt play well this season, but its no reason to turn on the coaching staff that has previously produced, and has the potential and ability to do so next season. :2cents:

No matter what anyone says rationally, it wont please you. The system creates oppritunities to make INT's, the system doesnt grab the ball and close the DB's hands. No system in the world can correct the catching ability of Carlos "hands like feet" Rogers. We picked off Drew Brees, who is a lot better then any of the QB's you bring up but you disregard it by saying "Whatever". Springs was hurt, PP was hurt, Rogers cant catch, Kenny Wright sucks. Its that simple. Please stop blaming the inabilities of the players on the defensive coach. 2004 and 2005 he had a top ten defense, last season injuries hurt us and there was instability in the defense. Walt Harris is not the reason we had a top ten defense both of those years. :laugh: How many pick/6's did Rogers drop? Did you look that stat up? Who were the QB's that he dropped the INT's from? So if Rogers had caught those INT's you wouldnt have a leg to stand on. The defense was bad because we had underperforming players like Rogers, and Holdman, and Arch, and Wright, ect. Now these are players, they wernt concieved and born from a system. Ill bet you loved GW as long as he was producing stellar seasons, but the first time in his tenure here he doesnt have a top flight defense and you throw him under the bus!?! WTF!?! Christ, is GW the cause of global warming and the hole in the ozone layer too? Maybe it was GW that started the Iraq war... or was that Danny and Cerrato's fault?? :doh:

I agree with you, ONE bad season and all of a sudden Williams can not coach a defense. Guys was missing tackles, badly, and that was Williams' fault. I guess he is supposed to coach guys who has been playing football since they were 5 years old, the same way that their Pop Warner league team coach coached them. These guys are professional football players and should know how to tackle by now. It is Williams job to put together a scheme, which he did, the same scheme that has been working for him here and and in Buffalo, but his players has to make the plays.

All these threads are talking about the linebackers, safeties and defensive backs. Granted they did not play very well but the real problem as I see is at the line. We have no one who can put any pressure on the quarterback, unless we blitz. Our tackles can only play every other play the eight games of the year that they are healthy enough to play. The previous two years they had been able to stop the run and they could'nt do that this year. Say what you want, but what happens at the line of scrimmage will determine what happens in the secondary. Most teams in the NFL have one or two D lineman who are feared. Based on their play in 2006, we don't have one. Until the line plays better, the secondary will continue to get lit up.

G.W. has had a top ten defense for ten years,goin back past buffalo and tennesse(i think).it was his first bad year in a long long time.the guy is one of the 5 best d-cords out there.the whole team was off last year,the whole team.rodgers is in his second year,give him a chance would yas!ST dropped some too and got burned a few times,should we ditch him as well?it was a bad year for everybody.the o-line looked good and a few guys came on late.along with carolina,we had the most dissapointing year of any teams in the league.GW is a real good coach with a complicated system,ya can't just pop different guys in there and expect it to work.if we put a little youth on the d-line and get a real mlb,ya'll will be standin in line to kiss the guys ring next year.and if not g.w, then who is so much better?what other coach has numbers like that?the guy should have gottin a HC job last year and he stayed,be greatful.

I still believe the most effective defense is to have your top corner shadow the other team's top wide receiver across the field and flip sides as the flow of play demands.

Having a left corner or right corner regardless of who the opposing receiver is on that side can be suicide in the wrong circumstances.

When the Redskins did match up a healthy Springs with Steve Smith in the Carolina game the pass defense looked much improved and despite his one catch for a TD, Smith did not put up gaudy numbers against #24.

i've heard b4 that williams system isn't tailored to force turnovers.

From KDawson

Coach Williams as great as our defense is we have been sorely lacking in the turnover dept. What are your plans to generate more turnovers?

Gregg Williams:

Quote:

We commit to and prioritize takeaways on defense as an extremely important area we have to improve. We spend an awful lot of time in practice on specific drills that are designed to teach players how to take the ball away. We spend an awful lot of time in the film room with training tapes and film cut-ups showing how, when and where to take the ball away. The next step for us to be a dominant team and most feared defense in the league is to actually take the ball away more. We had two in the opening game, and we had three hit us in the hands that we didn't take care of and didn't come up with. And we had two or three in the Dallas game that for whatever reason officially they ruled as incomplete passes, when they probably could have been ruled as fumbles -- that's just part of the game. But in order for us to win more games, we have to do a better on defense in taking the ball away, to shorten the field for our offense and turning it in to points.

I still believe the most effective defense is to have your top corner shadow the other team's top wide receiver across the field and flip sides as the flow of play demands.

Having a left corner or right corner regardless of who the opposing receiver is on that side can be suicide in the wrong circumstances.

When the Redskins did match up a healthy Springs with Steve Smith in the Carolina game the pass defense looked much improved and despite his one catch for a TD, Smith did not put up gaudy numbers against #24.

I'd never given this much thought before but Madden (the game :D ) suggests that it is often a good idea to put your #1 corner over the #2 receiver and then double team the #1 receiver with your #2 corner and a safety. Under these conditions and with sufficient talent to begin with, you should have a clear advantage over both receivers.

You still have to worry about the slot and the run-game but that's a Madden game for another day! ;)

It's all academic anyway. The skins secondary was a disaster last year from top to bottom.

The release of Walt Harris in favor of Kenny Wright looks just like Lott for Archuleta and Pierce for Marshall. Decisions that leave you at best, scratching your head and at worst, angry!

As every year goes by it becomes increasingly hard to fathom the rationale of the front office.

It's easy to be a mastermind when you are coaching the likes of Mike Singletary, Richard Dent, Dan Hampton, Mark Carrier (in his prime), Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, etc...

I agree but a player like Reggie White is one in a million. Not the other Eagles weren't good, but imagine how much better he made the other 10 on the field look!!!

:applause: I have never been convinced otherwise!!!

Gregg Williams:

Quote:

We commit to and prioritize takeaways on defense as an extremely important area we have to improve. We spend an awful lot of time in practice on specific drills that are designed to teach players how to take the ball away. We spend an awful lot of time in the film room with training tapes and film cut-ups showing how, when and where to take the ball away.

They need to commit and prioritize to tackling! If you tackle well, you won't give up all the darn extra yardage. Hard hitting good tackles bring about turnovers!

They need to commit and prioritize to tackling! If you tackle well, you won't give up all the darn extra yardage. Hard hitting good tackles bring about turnovers!

Actually,the players actually catching the ball would have been a wonderful way to bring about turnovers last year. Though I will agree that tackling was in issue for the D as well this past season. The swarming the ball carryer type gang tackling we saw in 2005 seemed to disappear at times last season. Though it did appear later in the season. Unclear as to why all of a sudden these guys were having trouble at times, but whatever it was was in their heads and it showed at times.

Actually,the players actually catching the ball would have been a wonderful way to bring about turnovers last year.

Yes that certainly was frustrating, especially when the QB placed it perfectly in their numbers. :(

Though I will agree that tackling was in issue for the D as well this past season. The swarming the ball carryer type gang tackling we saw in 2005 seemed to disappear at times last season. Though it did appear later in the season.

It did seem as though the team began to come together once Campbell was installed. The OL meshed bringing the running game back and the defense did begin to play better. The defense is still in need of help both in personnel and at the coaching level in terms of working on their schemes, combating new offensive scenarios, tackling and take turnovers.

The coaching staff needs to do a better job of mid game adjustments!!!

Seeing Walt Harris upgraded to the pro-bowl has lead me to beileve' date=' It may be the system which is ruining the defense. Everyone can say Walt Harris was or is a better cover guy then Archy or most anyone on our team excluding Carlos and Springs. But, everyone also can see Carlos Rogers is a better talented then Walt Harris. Greg Williams systems is more of a team oriented squad but at the high cost of developing talent. Walt Harris may have been constricted in this Defense and never allowed to show his talents. Just like carlos Rogers maybe being withheld from reaching his peak. What I'm saying is, when will it be time to start yelling for a change in Defensive philosophy and let go Greg Williams? The defense HAS continued to fall each year. The team is letting go of star players for team rejects.[/quote']

Actually this is what Charles Mann has said on tv and radio the past two years.

not sure i agree its our "system". harris was pretty bad last year if you guys remember, he got burned a lot and i think thats why he wasnt back. a system is a system, but theres no system in my memory that says "let this guy go past you" which is what harris did more often than not. and also, you guys are just looking at his numbers, 8 INTs. go look who he was picking off. his ints came in lumps, 3 against the worst offense and worst qb in oakland, 2 against an inexperienced rookie in Seneca wallace for Seattle, 1 against an over the hill brad johnson, and 2 were in the last game of the season, 1 from jake plummer who hadnt played in a month and isnt good to begin with, and 1 from young kid jay cutler who was under the pressure of trying to win one game to get to the playoffs.

so yes, 8 ints is good, but he wasnt picking off peyton manning or doing it consistently.

Yet his replacements didn't come close to doing that and we faced some weak teams also

Is it just me or was everyone hating on Harris just last year, he was being torched all day.

You want Williams fired, this is ridiculous.

The guy saved a dying defense, did you see the injuries we had this year??? I mean seriously, i would like to see the defense rank when we had Springs healthy.

Harris got a bunch of tipped ball picks and all the sudden you want him back?

Come on open your eyes!

I have not liked him since he got here. He's controversial and arrogant. He doesn't coach to his players strengths, he just tries to make them do what he wants, (hence the lack of playmaking on defense)

Lack of playmaking? For two years, that's all the defense did. We had very little offense except for a 5 game stretch, and the Defense won the game in Tampa. How does a defense win a game, on it's own, without making plays?

Your screen name tells me everything I need to know.

Archived