Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reggie Nelson, I'd rather take Brandon Merriweather from the U!

RedskinWill

With all this talk about Reggie Nelson the safety from the gators and supposedly a top 10 pick. I'd rather trade down and grab Merriweather along the way. This kid is outstanding and is going to be a hell of a safety in the NFL. What do you guys think and what round is he projected to go in?

He is projected to be a late first/early second round player.

Teams like the Patriots, Cardinals, Texans, Saints, Browns, Redskins, Chargers, and even Dolphins will show interest.

Lot of competition for a knucklehead to me. He has upside and potential, so dont get me wrong. But, I see good player on an average team. Not a great player on any level yet.

He wasn't the one swinging the helmet. He didn't do anything before, hasn't since. I believe he also apologized without being asked to.

Just got overblown because he's from the U, a team of "thugs".

No (that was Redick) he was the one stomping on a man that was already down, in a freaking football game... Ala Albert Haynesworth. Not to mention the shooting incident; where he pulled out his gat and popped 3 caps. Legal or not it seems rather unusual that a college athlete would have to carry a weapon at a friends house.

if we trade down, and Merriweather is available, I don't think we should miss on him. Sure he's a headcase, so was Taylor in his first two seasons. Taylor looks like he's matured especially under Gibbs, I think Merriweather could also. Plus, The U players love playing with their fellow alumni, even if they enver took the field with them in college.

Ed Reed lays out Roscoe Parrish one time last season. Ed Reed doesn't strike me as the type to help an enemy player up, but he sure was helping up his fellow U guy in Parrish, even though they never played together.

I think Taylor would be ecstatic to play alongside someone from his alma mater. I also think Merriweathers stock has fallen due to his incidents, which means if we trade down and have extra picks, we have a good shot at him. Merriweather's stock was really high at the beginning of the season, but fell due to those incidents.

And to be honest, we really do need some more intimidation on this defense, what better way than to add a player like Merriweather (or Nelson and Landry for that matter). I'm kinda tired of the "good ole football player" mentality our defense has when Taylor and Marcus are the only feared players starting.

He was also one of the main thugs involved in the Miami/FIU brawl as well. He was seen on top of the pile swinging his helmet like it was a weapon. So no, I don't think Gibbs would ever go near this guy. Sorry.

Get your facts right!!! Merriweather never swung his helmet, that was another player name Anthony Reddick. If you don't like the guy, just say that then. Spreading false information or using it to back up your opinion is not needed.

We have too many players from the "U" already. I already think that they are the biggest danger in the locker room; I don't want to give them any more power.

danger in the locker room? Besides Marvin Harrison, who is the other most humble WR you know? Santana Moss clearly fits the picture of team player. No celebrations, always hands the ball off, never talks smack to the media, spends time in the offseason working for the team.

Portis is a talker, but he was also the heart of this team in 2005. Please don't tell me he was a locker room problem. Do you get the NFL Network? There used to be one commercial where Portis is giving a pep speech before that final Redskins v. Eagles game. That is seriously one of my favorite quotes and memories I have of 2005. It just screamed football through and through.

Taylor is crazy, but he's also a very quiet person and hates the cameras for the most part. Rocky, no word on him yet, but from all reports, seems like a hard worker and whatnot.

He has a lot of character issues with coaches, also involved in the fight this year where he was swinging his helmet and hitting players with it. 1st round talent, easy. Character issues push him to mid 2nd, to early 3rd in my opinion.

danger in the locker room? Besides Marvin Harrison, who is the other most humble WR you know? Santana Moss clearly fits the picture of team player. No celebrations, always hands the ball off, never talks smack to the media, spends time in the offseason working for the team.

Portis is a talker, but he was also the heart of this team in 2005. Please don't tell me he was a locker room problem. Do you get the NFL Network? There used to be one commercial where Portis is giving a pep speech before that final Redskins v. Eagles game. That is seriously one of my favorite quotes and memories I have of 2005. It just screamed football through and through.

Taylor is crazy, but he's also a very quiet person and hates the cameras for the most part. Rocky, no word on him yet, but from all reports, seems like a hard worker and whatnot.

It was not a commercial it was the game of the week redskins vs eagles which we had to win to get to the playoffs. Portis was at the end of the tunnel with a bunch of guys pumping them up just telling them to leave it all out on the field. It was absolutely awesome to see and I love me some CP.

Just because nothing overt has happened with them does not mean that they are not a threat. As a manager, you have to know where your little cliques are. And this is what I know:

1. Portis, Moss, Taylor, and McIntosh all seem to be really close.

2. Miami guys in general are exceptionally close. They all work out together in the off-season. They are always on the sidelines at the school. They never shut up about the U frankly.

3. Portis seems to be the leader of them.

4. As Portis' mood goes, so seems to go the mood of the team.

5. Portis does not seem to be happy these days. (See any of his Sportstalk 980 interviews).

6. The Miami guys have already fired a few shots across Gibbs' bow during his time here - off-season workouts chief among them.

My point is, these guys are a powder keg even if there has not been an explosion yet. It still concerns me.

He was also one of the main thugs involved in the Miami/FIU brawl as well. He was seen on top of the pile swinging his helmet like it was a weapon. So no, I don't think Gibbs would ever go near this guy. Sorry.

Wrong Anthony Reddick was the helmet swinger, Merriweather was involved but only threw a few punches.

Merriweather is a Taylor type safety, we need a cover guy.

Wrong Anthony Reddick was the helmet swinger, Merriweather was involved but only threw a few punches.

Merriweather is a Taylor type safety, we need a cover guy.

After watching the video again it was worse then a few punches. A safety would be nice, but I don't think this guy is the answer. Taylor has calmed down, but it took a while. Just think what you would feel like if he did anything that cost the Redskins a playoff game. Taylor could have when he got ejected last year. Not saying it would happen, but this kid seems to make Taylor seem like a class act.

No (that was Redick) he was the one stomping on a man that was already down, in a freaking football game... Ala Albert Haynesworth. Not to mention the shooting incident; where he pulled out his gat and popped 3 caps. Legal or not it seems rather unusual that a college athlete would have to carry a weapon at a friends house.

"pulled out his gat and popped 3 caps":laugh: :laugh:

o i love the idea of meriweather and taylor playing together, i think we can line them both up at either strong or free safety, and as we all know we wouldnt mind another safety from the U (sean taylor for example), even though i hate the U they got alot of quality players coming from their even in the second round (devin hester) and i think gibbs will straighten him out

Archived