Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins next years Saints??

redrobert

Ignoring the 'natural disaster' thing, there are a few differences:

1) Saints got an entirely new coaching staff

2) Revamped roughly half the roster, starters included, including the most crucial position, QB

3) Had more draft picks

4) Younger team

From one perspective, the Saints defense did not improve all that much. this year They were still near the bottom against the run. But that comparison might not be totally fair because last year we suffered so many blowouts that teams pretty much stopped playing seriously by the 4th quarter. And their scoring defense definitely improved. What seems different this year than years past is that with one or two exceptions they always gave our O a chance to win, and at other times put up some great performances (Atlanta x 2, San Francisco, New York) that were non-existent last last year. They also never 'played down to the competition' like Saints teams in years past were notorious for doing. Only game that really surprised me was the Baltimore game but I underrated McNair/Billick.

I still think a turnaround is possible for the Skins. Campbell shows some promise and if he can continue to improve the Skins O should be OK even without major FA additions or draft picks. A good clock chewing O can hide weaknesses on D (e.g. the Saints this year), and there are always ways to scheme around deficiencies. I think their major needs are some better D line, especially good pass rusher, and of course they need to stay healthy.

Don't know if it a turnaround like the Saints would happen the same way w/ the Skins. Remember, they have a whole new coaching staff w/ brand new agendas that worked. It was not going w/ what worked in the past and force it down your team's throat again.

They also got rid of some high-priced vets (Howard and Stallsworth) to make room for performing, cheap, young players.

Now, come one, Gibbs and his staff give a rookie a chance to shine? Haa. Not in this lifetime.

Archived