Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(WP) La Canfora: Ravens are "anti-Skins"

E-Dog Night

yeah, and they were 6-10 last year

Yeah, and they won a Super Bowl, their division a couple of times ... and ...

guess what?

They have all 7 of their draft picks and maybe even more for compensation ...

We only got a 1st rounder and 3 more ....

So they have something 2 look forward 2 after going 13-4.

We don't have much (plus we're 2 mill over the cap, while some teams are 40 mill below, so forget about expensive FAs) to look forward to after 6-10 ...

That''s really sad ...:doh::doh::doh::doh:

All I really care about is that I hate the way the FO appears to everyone else in the league. I wish we had classier guys in the FO instead Snyder and Cerrato and blah blah blah. He is tarnishing our reputation year in and year out with his crazy spending sprees which have yet to really provide any sound results that point ahead to a bright future. As soon as we string together two back-to-back winning seasons I will shut up about Snyder but until then he makes me sick.

(However his decision making has markedly improved, whether that is cause of Gibbs' return or whehter he actually learned from any of his vast amount of mistakes.)

HTTR

It all depends on a person's view of what being a "successful franchise" is. If LaCanfora was doing his due diligence, he would compare apples to apples. Skins Bears , Skins Eagles, Skins Giants, Skins Patriots. Franchises who A: at the core were at least loyal enough to not move their team out of town, and B: comparing the Skins to teams with a legitimate shot at FO supremacy. Make these comparisons, not to a B League team such as the Ravens.

The article was written purely to incite reaction from the Skins and their fans.

Since Joe returned, we have more postseason wins(1) than the Ravens. Billick was on the firing block last year and was ordered to "lighten up" to the media.

I think it is laughable for the Skins and Ravens to be mentioned in the same article, but then again, I am biased.... :ravensuck

The only thing the Ravens got over the Skins is one guy. Ozzie Newsome. The Skins do not have (or at the very least have not shown to have) a guy with his ability to scout and find talent throughout the draft.

Their owner hasn't been impressive and frankly his dressing down of Billick in front of the media during a press conference last year was something that even the "classless" Dan Snyder has not done.

Even though they did a poor job this past season (Except for Byner and Smith who did great work) I'll still take our coaching staff over Baltimore's.

The only thing that does bother me is the treatment of former Skins stuff. If true, I really can't understand why that would be. Snyder has been a fan all his life just like us. If one of us became owner of the Skins, I'm sure the former Skins (especially those who brought titles to this town) would be treated as gods and honored all the time.

BS - The Ravens FO is nothing special. They got a QB to make one last run. They fell short.

Steve McNair was let go by the Titans. He's best years are behind him. Dispite the credits the ravens FO is getting on this board, they have failed to get a good young QB after trying for years.

Ray Lewis in on the downward trend. Ravens will be lucky to go 8-8 next year.

I love the double standard. One poster says after going 6-10, Ravens went 13-3 and now have a lot to look forward to. WIth a Ageing QB, Ageing RB, and Ageing LB.

Meanwhile - We are suppose to except that the skins have nothing to look forward to with a Young QB, WR's in their Prime, and a RB in his prime.

So Ravens can turn a 6-10 team to 13-3 (Mostly through A FA pickup BTW) but the skins at 5-11 are done for years.....

Where the hell is the logic.

BTW - This "Shabby Treatment" crap? Not true. Not getting along with a guy who played for the skins for a few years is not the same as not honoring your history.

The 70 greatest redskins? That was Under Dan Synder. When Marty wanted to cut Darrel Green? It was Danny who stoped him. Why was Jeff George brought in? Cause Danny listed to Sonny. Why is Riggo doing Redskins Broadcasts now? Danny pushed for him.

Yup - clearly shabby treatment.

Where was the article last year when the Ravens were considered largely out of control and bigtime underachievers???

They've been to the playoffs once in the last three years and lost their only playoff game!!....

On top of that they have an aging roster with a weak offensive line....They're about to hit rebuilding with nothing to show for it the last few years....

The Ravens have just as many playoff wins since their Super Bowl season as the Skins do.

And if their FO was so bright, why the heck did it take them five years to find a decent QB? And why does their offense consistently suck?

Jason is a Ravens fan, personally. He ought to be upfront about that.

BD

The Ravens have just as many playoff wins since their Super Bowl season as the Skins do.

And if their FO was so bright, why the heck did it take them five years to find a decent QB? And why does their offense consistently suck?

Jason is a Ravens fan, personally. He ought to be upfront about that.

BD

Which leads to the most obvious question, why is a baltimorean with a love for the Ravens hired by the post to cover the Redskins.

He has an axe to grind, as does the Wash Post!

Which leads to the most obvious question, why is a baltimorean with a love for the Ravens hired by the post to cover the Redskins.

Well, I think as a rule, Jason's coverage of the team is very fair and his bias doesn't really matter that much...He would be able to say 95% of what he says about the team now if he was, say, a Steelers fan or a Raiders fan or whatever.

But when he covers HIS team, it should be included as a caveat - even if it's just a note on his blog about how he went to the 2000 Super Bowl as a Ravens fan (which he did).

BD

Well, I think as a rule, Jason's coverage of the team is very fair and his bias doesn't really matter that much...He would be able to say 95% of what he says about the team now if he was, say, a Steelers fan or a Raiders fan or whatever.

But when he covers HIS team, it should be included as a caveat - even if it's just a note on his blog about how he went to the 2000 Super Bowl as a Ravens fan (which he did).

BD

I agree.

I also think what is missing is an observation about the team, its front office. The Ravens have done a phenominal job of establishing an attitude of being a monster defense led by Ray Lewis. So when new players come in, they blend in with an already dominate defense and their play is commensurate on offense. I credit this to attitude. So no matter who Ozzie picks on defense, they blend well because of the existing players.

If you want to credit Ozzie and the front office for that, thats ok with me.

But if you want to credit Ozzie with that, then you have to also blame him for his pathetic offensive production and improvement. If you give Ozzie an A+ for defense, you have to give him a D for Offense over the years. Put that defense on the Colts, Pats, Bears, or New Orleans they would all win the Superbowl.

One thing is for sure, Ozzie, the front office, and company have squandered opportunities year after year because of an anemic offense. Give credit where credit is due, give the opposite when it is due. :2cents:

Seems like a pretty big skins fan to me -- if you read his blog all the time. And all the things JLC and the Post have been pointing out lately are the same things a lot of us -- you know, the objective fans who love the franchise just as much as the biggest homer but realize aspects of it are a disaster -- have been pointing out forever.

Since 1999, they have received 16 compensatory draft picks due to players departing in free agency

They built a Super Bowl Champion team. 2 years later they had a losing record and haven't won a playoff game since.

Maybe they should have held on to some of those players.

Why pick the Ravens? The Ravens were a good franchise 6 or 7 years ago, but since then, there have been a lot more teams I'd rather use as a model.

I do not even listen to the media around here anymore.

For radio i am just going to listen to my IPOD in my car. The final straw was when WTEM was trying to make a conspiracy about Brunell being hurt in week 2 vs Dallas. When it was clear in the article that he was hurt in the second Dallas game.

They had Cowboy fans calling in saying Gibbs and Brunell were gay. It was awful.

The media has agenda. If the Ravens and Wizards do wel they can use it to spit at the redskins face.

We should root for all the teams to do well in the area.

But it is this whole Snyder vs POST,WTEM and DC radio. You can tell WTEM and the post have some kind of ax to grind.

Czaben is a clown. And is mad Gibbs and the redskins do not like him.

Doc seems mad that the redskins have not made him involved in the organization.

What is all this crap? The Redskins are the home team.

yawn.

a team that blew the one draft pick that counts the most....QB?

a team that FOR YEARS has not been able to field a competent offense?

a team that had to fall back onto a QB in the waning years of his career to rescue a declining situation?

a team that fired its offensive coordinator mid-season?

a team that sputters on offense when Ogden isn't in there?

a team that lost its playoff game with a totally ineffective offense?

yup...they are the cream all right...and have a masterful formula!

the truth is they do have the formula on defense but have been incompetent beyond belief when it comes to offense. la canfora could have saved eveyone the time of reading his outburst by simply stating "I don't like the way DS runs his FO." I'm not a big Danny fan....but la canfora is blatantly transparent in this one.

Archived