Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why not draft a corner?

robotfire

The definition of insanity is doing the same act and expecting different results.

They have drafted defensive backs high every year it seems.

Bailey, Smoot, Rogers, Taylor . If they get a corner it will be the third year in a row in the top 10 that they drafted a defensive back. That is amazing.

Get a defensive linemen. They have not drafted one in 10 years.

Good point. We are going about this backwards. Bring in the big boys.

I don't think a #6 gets us a 1st and a 2nd -- more likely a 1st and a 3rd or 4th (depending on where the 1st is). I wouldn't draft Landry w/#6, but I might w/#16. He's quite good.

In 2004, after we drafted Taylor, the Lions traded down ONE spot to #7 overall and drafted WR Roy Williams. Cleveland gave them a 2nd rounder to move up ONE spot and drafted TE Kellen Winslow II with the #6 pick overall.

I say we could definitely get a 2nd from the right team. Hopefully Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Jamarcus Russell, and Alan Branch all declare for the draft. With Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn to factor in, chances are some team will want to move to #6 to get one of those guys. Don't forget Adrian Peterson who will probably declare as well.

Also, players tend to rise up in the offseason as well, so a couple of those guys could fall, but a few could rise as well.

The only reason our corners looked like poop besides the fact that Rumph and Wright (burnt and wrong) sucked, is the skins get NO PRESSURE from the front four. The skins desperately need a DT/DE to compliment Griff. Carter may pan out.....

NO CB!!!!!!

By far the smartest quote that i have read all day.....

A DE WHOM CAN PLAY BOTH THE PASS & RUN AT HIGH LEVEL IS WHAT WE NEED

TO HELP OUT THE SECONDARY....

It's not that hard to undertand....

I love Daniels, Wynn but they don't have enough speed to get around the corner to make opposing QB'S nervous. They are better suited to play as a back up role at DT?

SPEED, SPEED AND MORE SPEED! :applause:

As much as we need corner help we need help on the D-line even more. Too many people on this board blame our secondary entirely for our failures. We had a historically bad front 4, LITERALLY. Nothing improves until we improve the line. Unfortunately I think we have no option other than to drop down the board to try to pick up some of the draft picks we've previously parted with this past offseason.

Trade down, draft Landry, and get some d-line help with the later picks.

Sean Taylor needs some help, and then we can get Nate Clements, which ESPN Insider is reporting the Redskins to be very interested in, then we would have a great secondary with some more veteran help to help out the young guys.

I don't think Gaines Adams or Alan Branch will be availible at number 6, but some teams may be wanting to trade up to secure the player they want...

Willis is projected as a mid first to second rounder, not a top 6 pick, so if we go after him we should trade down as well. I think that having two more than capable safeties would greatly help the team, but thats only if we can't get branch or adams and someone wants to trade up. This draft has some pretty good prospects in the first 2 rounds and I think we could get a 2 for 1 this year.

Trade down, draft Landry, and get some d-line help with the later picks.

Sean Taylor needs some help, and then we can get Nate Clements, which ESPN Insider is reporting the Redskins to be very interested in, then we would have a great secondary with some more veteran help to help out the young guys.

I don't think Gaines Adams or Alan Branch will be availible at number 6, but some teams may be wanting to trade up to secure the player they want...

this team wont waste another 1st round pick in a safety.. frankly, no team would.. an average safety like a ryan clark type or pierson pieralu can play that position if we have enough push from our d-line and make the qb to make faster decisions

Vinny does like getting defensive linemen. He said on redskins lunch that he belives in getting skilled players when the redskins are that high because he thinks the coaches can work with any defensive linemen and coach them up to be good.

I think they will probaly get a corner AGAIN.

That would make sense if the Redskins had all their picks. But they don't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th unless they trade down and add them. Sucks they gave up those 3rd and 4th rders for unproductive players, when they could of been used to help the DL and LBs.

Vinny does like getting defensive linemen. He said on redskins lunch that he belives in getting skilled players when the redskins are that high because he thinks the coaches can work with any defensive linemen and coach them up to be good.

I think they will probaly get a corner AGAIN.

NOOOOOO. I did not hear this. Corners arent going to help us clog the middle and stop the run I am not sure why some people dont understand that, it all starts up front clogging the run and rushing the passer thats how it all works hand in hand. Good pass rush makes average corners great. Damn Vinny if you draft a corner or a reciever I will beat your ****ing ass ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Who we choose with our 1st round pick will depend on what we do in Free Agency. If we sign Clements then we definitely WON'T draft a CB at #6. If we don't, it's a definite possibility.

The way JaMarcus Russell played against Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl, he may move into the mix of coveted Offensive players. If Calvin Johnson, Russell, Brady Quinn or Joe Thomas are available at #6, we could have a little more leverage to trade down. With Clements in the mix, should we trade down we still might take CB but not with our first rounder. Without Clements, it would become even more likely we take one somewhere in round 1.

The DL and DB's go hand in hand. If you have good DB's the DL will get the "coverage" sacks. You have a great DL average DB's can look good in coverage because the WR's won't have time to seperate.

With that being said I also would like to see us trade down and draft the both of them because as the one thread suggested there really isn't a "cant-miss' prospect on the defensive side of the ball. It's a pretty level playing field in regards to the DL prospects and I don't see any of them seperating themselves from the rest of the field right now.

Who we choose with our 1st round pick will depend on what we do in Free Agency. If we sign Clements then we definitely WON'T draft a CB at #6. If we don't, it's a definite possibility.

The way JaMarcus Russell played against Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl, he may move into the mix of coveted Offensive players. If Calvin Johnson, Russell, Brady Quinn or Joe Thomas are available at #6, we could have a little more leverage to trade down. With Clements in the mix, should we trade down we still might take CB but not with our first rounder. Without Clements, it would become even more likely we take one somewhere in round 1.

I know this is probably around here somewhere but what are the stats for Clements? Particularly, how old is he and can we afford him?

Dont draft a cornerback plz,what cb in the draft is wotrth the 6 round pick

our main problem is MLB or DE

we can't stop the run ,Having ST sitting on the run,put alot of pressure on the db's

we need a solid pass rush or a beast at MLB,but i think we will be fine at Db if the offseason goes right

this team wont waste another 1st round pick in a safety.. frankly, no team would.. an average safety like a ryan clark type or pierson pieralu can play that position if we have enough push from our d-line and make the qb to make faster decisions

Thank you. I can't remember how many times I have heard the safety thing. Landry is good but he is a pure FS. We have a FS. We need a SS. Landry is too light right now to be able to play SS and shed blockers at the line. Sure he hits well for his size, but that still won't let him shed blockers in the NFL as a SS. Some people say move Sean Taylor to SS. Why? That would be a complete waste of his talents. Taylor is at least as fast as Landry but also weighs about 40 lbs more at the same height. He has such a freakish combination of size and speed that it would be a waste to have him getting bogged down in blockers at the line as opposed to being a ball hawking terror who could be anywhere. Despite what people say Taylor is good in coverage; our secondary (and defense as a whole) stunk this year. Taylor had to do way too many different things. Play the run while at the same time babysitting poor CB play. On half of the plays where people blast him for getting burnt or being out of position if you see it from a different angle he was coming from the other side of the field to make the play or help out a CB.

It all starts up front. We need D-line, period. DT or DE. Yes we need a MLB badly as well, but give an average MLB a monster two gap DT in front of him and he will look like a great MLB. Check out Baltimore's MLB Ray Lewis' stats from last year and then this year. What is the difference? They have a masive presence in Haloti Ngata at DT in front of him. Lewis himself said last year that he needed someone like that in that position. CBs are way too iffy in the draft and take much more time to coach up to the NFL level than a huge DT or even a very talented DE. Stop the madness, people. It isn't a glamor position but it is important.

Archived