Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why not draft a corner?

robotfire

I don't think a #6 gets us a 1st and a 2nd -- more likely a 1st and a 3rd or 4th (depending on where the 1st is). I wouldn't draft Landry w/#6, but I might w/#16. He's quite good.

I agree with that, he's a great player, and if we drafted him I'd be happy, but I think that it would be smarter to trade down to a 16 (as you said) and draft him while earning a 3rd rounder or possibly late 2nd rounder.

I know this is probably around here somewhere but what are the stats for Clements? Particularly, how old is he and can we afford him?

Bio

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235204

Clements was drafted by the Bills when Gregg Williams was the HC. He's only 27 years old. Can we afford him? That all depends. Would he be willing to play for Williams again is the bigger question.

It all starts up front. We need D-line, period. DT or DE. Yes we need a MLB badly as well, but give an average MLB a monster two gap DT in front of him and he will look like a great MLB. Check out Baltimore's MLB Ray Lewis' stats from last year and then this year. What is the difference? They have a masive presence in Haloti Ngata at DT in front of him. Lewis himself said last year that he needed someone like that in that position. CBs are way too iffy in the draft and take much more time to coach up to the NFL level than a huge DT or even a very talented DE. Stop the madness, people. It isn't a glamor position but it is important.

So would we be adding depth to the D-line or starters? Do we cut Daniels because he is due about $3 million next year and Griff is do about $6 mllion. Do yo think they will renegotiate? With Daniels playing hurt most of the year and Griff off and on I doubt that they will. I agree that our D-line is aging, minus carter and the 2 rookies, but how do we address all the needs in one off season (MLB, CB, etc.)?

Thank you. I can't remember how many times I have heard the safety thing. Landry is good but he is a pure FS. We have a FS. We need a SS. Landry is too light right now to be able to play SS and shed blockers at the line. Sure he hits well for his size, but that still won't let him shed blockers in the NFL as a SS. Some people say move Sean Taylor to SS. Why? That would be a complete waste of his talents. Taylor is at least as fast as Landry but also weighs about 40 lbs more at the same height. He has such a freakish combination of size and speed that it would be a waste to have him getting bogged down in blockers at the line as opposed to being a ball hawking terror who could be anywhere. Despite what people say Taylor is good in coverage; our secondary (and defense as a whole) stunk this year. Taylor had to do way too many different things. Play the run while at the same time babysitting poor CB play. On half of the plays where people blast him for getting burnt or being out of position if you see it from a different angle he was coming from the other side of the field to make the play or help out a CB.

This isn't madness, it is a pure team need. At this point as long as we draft someone on the defensive side of the ball I'll be happy regardless of what the position is. But, I don't understand how you can say LaRon Landry would be nothing at SS because he is a pure FS. Though, he has experience at both SS and FS and even CB with his great size he would greatly contribute at SS. So, do you think Pierson Prioleau has elite size to clog lanes as a SS. He is 5'11 and 198 lbs. I like the guy a lot but that is tiny. Look at what Vernon Fox did in coverage as a SS and he is 5'10 200 lbs. Landry could be put in at SS and help the Redskins greatly in the backfield.

We've got Rogers, who I believe will be a great corner for many years. Why not get another corner who will eventually be the successor to Springs? I think it would make sense because we're already thin at CB. Plus, it shows that we want to build for the future. Any other defensive pick will sit on the bench most of the year anyway...

Hall is the only name I can think of that would be wirth a 6th pick.

frankly, u can have 4 probowl secondarys guys and your defense would be **** if the qb has 5-10 seconds to examine the field and make decisions.. check out every top defense and look at their lines.. In NE, they plug and play with secondary guys all the time and with rookies too, why richard seymour, jarvis green and vince wilfork.. the bears had oguleye and alex brown

This isn't madness, it is a pure team need. At this point as long as we draft someone on the defensive side of the ball I'll be happy regardless of what the position is. But, I don't understand how you can say LaRon Landry would be nothing at SS because he is a pure FS. Though, he has experience at both SS and FS and even CB with his great size he would greatly contribute at SS. So, do you think Pierson Prioleau has elite size to clog lanes as a SS. He is 5'11 and 198 lbs. I like the guy a lot but that is tiny. Look at what Vernon Fox did in coverage as a SS and he is 5'10 200 lbs. Landry could be put in at SS and help the Redskins greatly in the backfield.

I agree that it is a need but it shouldn't be our primary focus. Like I said it all starts with the line and works back from there. You have a very good D line, your secondary has that much less work to do. Perhaps Landry could play SS in the NFL; its hard to say for sure since his main position is at FS. However, I still think a need at SS pales in comparison to our need at the line. IMO a monster 2 gap DT like Branch or a young fast DE like Adams (once he puts on a few more pounds) would make much more of an impact with our 1st round pick than Landry at safety. It is doubtful Landry would even start until late unless he was completely stellar in training camp and the preseason. Yes we could trade down (assuming there was someone who needed to trade up) and get Landry and another pick in the 2nd or 3rd, but to be honest I think if we did that I'd rather get Patrick Willis at MLB for our 1st pick. That being said, he still probably wouldn't be starting until later in the season and we would still have the exact same line as this year in front of him so he would still have to shed off O line blocks to get to the ball carrier unless he just waits for them to break through the line.

There's been talk by Joe Gibbs of moving Sean Springs to safety. Imagine Springs and Taylor... that's quite a pair.
The only thing about this is that we would absolutely one hundred percent have to move ST to strong safety and Shawn to free safety, as he doesn't have the bulk/tackling to play strong (whose priority is more against the run) safety. Unlike Mr. Taylor, who could probably play linebacker and still be sick.

Archived