Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nate Clements is our best bet!

RWJ

How exactly can the Redskins, who are currently 1 million under the cap, but will have to deal with the AA dead money as well as only having 42 players signed for 2007 ever sign Clements?

The Bills are 39 million under the cap and have made a serious run this year towards respectability.

More teams have upwards of 20+ million under the cap in a lean year for FAs. The Skins have the worst cap situation in the league, and that is before we take into account the money the Dockery will command.

I dont know how after all these years you are able to doubt the skins ways to maneuver around the salary cap.

How exactly can the Redskins, who are currently 1 million under the cap, but will have to deal with the AA dead money as well as only having 42 players signed for 2007 ever sign Clements?

The Bills are 39 million under the cap and have made a serious run this year towards respectability.

More teams have upwards of 20+ million under the cap in a lean year for FAs. The Skins have the worst cap situation in the league, and that is before we take into account the money the Dockery will command.

They are currently almost 4 million under (3.89) and will most likey be in the 10 million under for FA with restructures... they can gain about 1.5 million alone be cutting Hall....

Cap room needed to sign most big time FA to 5-7 year deals? 1.6 million. At 10 million under they could easily sign 4-5 FA and still have enough to sign there draft picks (even a top 10 pick).

The fact that many owers choose to keep 10-20 million more in their pockets has nothing to do with them signing FA's -- they keep it because they do not intend to give it to the players.

More gloom and doom from the wannabe accountant.

They are currently almost 4 million under (3.89) and will most likey be in the 10 million under for FA with restructures... they can gain about 1.5 million alone be cutting Hall....

Cap room needed to sign most big time FA to 5-7 year deals? 1.6 million. At 10 million under they could easily sign 4-5 FA and still have enough to sign there draft picks (even a top 10 pick).

The fact that many owers choose to keep 10-20 million more in their pockets has nothing to do with them signing FA's -- they keep it because they do not intend to give it to the players.

WHich is why i love snyder and thinks he gets unfairly thrown under the bus....

For all the talk about how much our franchise makes....he still tosses the money back into coreecting the team and this year he has to eat and correct greg williams mistakes with AA....

And you can also add that we will probably be cutting..

David Patten

Renaldo Wynn (unless restructures)

Warrick Holdman

Christian Fauria

Not much but thats a few more dollars.....:point2sky:point2sky

I have to agree with WB36 on this one. We need to stop going after the front line FA every year. Lets go for quality, middle of the road depth. Look at New England. There best corner (Samuel) is going to be let go, but they will still thrive. That is because they have gobs of depth on the line and decent depth at DB.

We have to bit the bullet at some point. Goldstein is the perfect example. The guy is a starting DT that costs us pennies, for a few years. We need more guys like that.

Stop the madness. I wish we would pledge not to pay the highest salary to any position in the FA season.

More gloom and doom from the wannabe accountant.

Just the facts. The difference between this year and last is the cap jumped up about 9 million once the new labor deal was set.

This year, it is set and isn't going up anymore. The Skins have 42 players under contract for 2007 and are about a million under the cap if you count in the Betts contract extension.

They have to get 11 more under contract so when they start cutting players, you have to add the minimum NFL salary to the savings to see exactly what they will save.

Buffalo is upwards of 40 million under the cap. If they want to keep Clements, he is staying on their team.

I am laughing seeing posts of signing Clements, Samuel, Hood, Mike Lewis, etc. :laugh:

I guess we'll see.

Just the facts.

I am laughing seeing posts of signing Clements, Samuel, Hood, Mike Lewis, etc. :laugh:

I guess we'll see.

Hypothetically speaking of course, what IF we do sign Clements or Samuels, will you be revisiting this thread? I hope so, because I have this bad feeling this one is coming back to bite you Westy. ;)

Clements is overrated -- any Bills fan will tell you that.

Which means we will overpay drastically for him and let Springs -- who is better when healthy -- go.

What we need is a pass rush. It's hard to play corner when your line can't get to the qb.

Clements is overrated -- any Bills fan will tell you that.

Which means we will overpay drastically for him and let Springs -- who is better when healthy -- go.

What we need is a pass rush. It's hard to play corner when your line can't get to the qb.

I had a buddy at work that's a bills fans that was telling me the same thing. That Clements was the one that Chris Chambers burned for 250 yards in that game last year I think it was. He is a big time player. For the value I like Asante Samuel.:gaintsuck

6-for nickel either the nickel for the eagles roderick hood, or the S michael lewis who fell outta graces with the eagles would make a great nickel or the young leigh bodden from cleveland who is young and has great talent to be a 3rd CB he was #2 at cleveland

Bodden would be great as #1 or #2! Local guy who grew up a Skins fan. However, the Browns did the smart thing and locked him up last year so he's not available. He's battled ankle injuries this year, but he's going to be a really good one.

Roderick hood would be too expensive for a nickelback. The Skins need to draft one of those.

Just the facts. The difference between this year and last is the cap jumped up about 9 million once the new labor deal was set.

This year, it is set and isn't going up anymore. The Skins have 42 players under contract for 2007 and are about a million under the cap if you count in the Betts contract extension.

They have to get 11 more under contract so when they start cutting players, you have to add the minimum NFL salary to the savings to see exactly what they will save.

Buffalo is upwards of 40 million under the cap. If they want to keep Clements, he is staying on their team.

I guess we'll see.

The fact is

the cap is already said to be going up atleast 7 million this year at the very minimum....so get your facts straight......

I guess we'll see.

I'm not an expert on the cap. Something tells me though the Skins won't be in cap trouble. We'll see how many guys restructure.

Laugh all you want, the last time you laughed at us things turned out fine and you wound up with a custom sig.

I guess we'll see.

Just the FACTS:

FACT: Skins have 43 players under contract next year counting Betts

FACT: Betts will count appox 1.585 million, so that puts the skins at about 2.4 million under - they would gain back 1.5 by cutting Hall alone.

FACT: the only significant FA is Dockery

FACT: many players including Samuels, Thomas and Jansen have said they will restructure to get Dock re-signed

FACT: other player either will re-stucture or already have contract that allow the team to turn future unguarenteed money into "SB" and lower there cap number

FACT: many teams (like the Bills) are well under the cap, BUT there owners have no intention of spending more than the league MAKES them.

and FACT: the only thing the skins fear is an "uncapped" year -- ironic that a free spending team fears this, but the NFL has lots of boobie traps in the contract for that year. So the skins will find "cap hell" in 2012 - IF they dont have another CBA...

I have a dream that our defensive depth chart in 2007 will Look something like this

CB- C. Rogers/Draft Pick

CB- Clements ( prefer samuels but...Either will do)/ Shawn Springs

SS- Sean Taylor and P. Prioleau

FS- Shawn Springs / Sean Taylor and Reed Doughty

MLB- Adelius Thomas/Lemar Marshall

WLB- Rocky Mcintosh/Draft pick

SLB- Marcus Washington/?

DE- Justin Smith (FA from Bengals)/ Phillip daniels

DT-Griffin/ Montgomery

DT Golston/Alan Branch

DE- Andre Carter/Joe Sykes

Nickle- Fred Smoot or Roderick Hood

You don't like Salave'a or D. Evans?

After looking at the Redskins game against the Giants, I think they should go after Justin Smith. He's the kind of guy that can play the run but also get after the QB. Would fit GW's schemes well.

Springs needs to re-structure and they need to sign someone to play corner. Smoot would be nice but so would Hood. Him or Kenny Wright can start in a pinch. If Springs is unwilling to negotiate, dump him and sign Smoot and someone else. Maybe Hood. Maybe a Nick Harper.

The draft is tough. If Alan Branch is there, the Redskins would need a really, really good trade offer to trade it away. Dwayne Jarrett and even Calvin Johnson could be available. A team like the Falcons would want one or the other. Heck, the Patriots have two first rounders. I would trade a fifth or sixth pick for both of them :D

I don't think a lot of you have noticed but Rogers is becoming better than a number two corner. In the past two weeks, he has held Plax to 2 catches for 26 yards and Holt to 4 catches for 54 yards. I feel he has to still do some work this offseason like working with coaches on how to recognize double moves, which he struggles with, but Rogers is starting to live up to his draft status.

Therefore, we do not need to blow a lot of money on Samuel or Clements. Give me the next Marcus Washington, an unknown diamond in the rough. That guy, in my opinion, is Rod Hood. He is the best nickel corner in the NFL and the only reason he doesn't start is that he is behind 2 Pro Bowl-level corners in Sheppard and Brown. People say he doesn't have starting experience but he has started 11 games over the past two seasons. We could get him with a 6-year 24 mil contract with 8 mil or so in bonus money. I think we should also go after a NB who could be a decent starter if needed. This group includes Nick Harper, Tory James, and Ricky Manning Jr. For our number 4 corner, I want to see us draft a couple with the Day 2 picks and have them compete with a few street FAs for the job.

We need to move Springs to FS to play the centerfield role, if he restructures, which will allow ST to be the ballhawking SS.

We need to resign Vernon Fox to the 3-year 2.7 mil contract that Salavea and Marshall are on. I also want to see us sign

I want to see our secondary like this next year:

CB1: Rogers/Manning Jr./Jimoh

CB2: Hood/#4 guy

FS: Springs/Prioleau

SS: Taylor/Fox/Doughty or Vincent

Archived