Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible GM Candidates with profiles

MAATopDogg

Here is a list of possible GM canidates for '07

Charlie Casserly- unemployed but may still be shell shocked from Houston

Scott Pioli(New England)-Pioli's contract is up in NE and a offer of a GM spot would prevent the Patriots from blocking discussions. Scott Pioli is in his seventh season with the Patriots and has worked in concert with Head Coach Bill Belichick to build a consistent championship contender in New England. Their shared football philosophy has produced three Super Bowl championships, three conference titles and four division crowns since 2001.

Once Pioli and Belichick arrived in New England in 2000, it took the pair just two seasons to rebuild the foundation of the team. Since orchestrating the franchise's first Super Bowl victory following the 2001 season, Pioli and Belichick have executed a plan to produce continued success, becoming the only personnel director/head coach tandem in NFL history to win three Super Bowls in a four-year span (2001-04). The Patriots are the only NFL team to win at least one playoff game in each of the last three seasons (2003-05) and are the only team in the league to win nine or more games in each of the last five seasons (2001-05).

In recognition of his achievements, Pioli was awarded The Sporting News' George Young NFL Executive of the Year award (voted on by NFL executives) following the 2003 and 2004 seasons. He is one of just three NFL executives, along with Bill Polian and Bobby Beathard, to win the award in consecutive years. Pioli is the youngest executive to win the award.

The primary objective of Pioli's personnel philosophy is to build a team, not to simply collect individual talent. As a result, the Patriots have been able to prosper despite the NFL realities of injuries and the salary cap, which have proven in the past to be impediments to long-term success in pro football. In each of the last three seasons, the depth and versatility of New England's roster helped overcome key injuries to win three straight AFC East titles. In 2005, the Patriots utilized 45 different starters, setting a postmerger NFL record for a division champion. In 2003, the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXVIII despite using 42 different starters, the most in league history by a Super Bowl champion. In 2004, the Patriots employed 40 different starters as they won their second consecutive Super Bowl. Of the 53 players on the Patriots' final 2005 roster, 39 were acquired after the team's first championship in 2001. In an era of NFL parity and economic balance, the Patriots' personnel philosophy has helped to consistently build championship teams that have been greater than the sum of their parts.

The Patriots have used an effective combination of free agent signings, trades and draft picks to acquire championship-caliber players. Players drafted by Belichick and Pioli have earned a total of three Super Bowl MVP awards and seven Pro Bowl berths, while Tom Brady (a sixth round pick in 2000) and Richard Seymour (a first-rounder in 2001) are widely considered to be among the NFL's elite players. Veteran free agents signed by Belichick and Pioli include defensive co-captain Rodney Harrison, outside linebackers Mike Vrabel and Rosevelt Colvin and three-time Pro Bowl special teams captain Larry Izzo among dozens of other contributors to New England's championship squads. New England's trades have netted improvement in drafting position that led to the ability to exchange draft picks for key veterans such as Corey Dillon, who set the Patriots' single-season rushing record in 2004, and Ted Washington, an important contributor to the 2003 title team.

Ron Wolf- Said he done a few years back and is retired living in Annapolis,MD but could be lured out or retirement. Read Article http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/10/11/1/

Ozzie Newsome(Baltimore)-Under Newsome's guidance, the Ravens own a remarkable draft success...In the team's 1st 10 drafts, Newsome selected 1st-rounders who have earned the Pro Bowl a total of 28 times...The team's 1st picks ever, Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis - the 4th and 26th selections in the 1996 draft - have combined for 16 Pro Bowls...Both are considered likely NFL Hall of Famers...In those 10 drafts, Baltimore has selected in the bottom half of the 1st round with uncanny success: Lewis, who has twice been named as the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year; Todd Heap, at 31st in 2001, has been to 2 Pro Bowls; and Ed Reed, the 24th pick in '02, has gone to Hawaii twice and earned the NFL's MVP of defense in '04...Newsome strategy: "Select the best available player on the board."

In 5 consecutive drafts (2000-2004), the Ravens are the only NFL team to select more than 2 Pro Bowlers in the 1st round (Jamal Lewis, Heap, Reed and Terrell Suggs)...Reed and Heap are the only players in that span who were picked in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round to go to the Pro Bowl...In the 1st 10 years of Ravens' history, Newsome and his staff drafted 10 players who have been selected to go to Hawaii...Don Banks of SI.com wrote on 4/20/05: "The Ravens are the NFL's gold standard on draft day, consistently making choices that stand the test of time."

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS: Not only have Newsome's drafts been productive, but free agent signings have proven to be masterful as well...One of the game's all-time great players, former CB/S Rod Woodson, made the Pro Bowl as a safety for 3 seasons (1999-2001)...DE Michael McCrary made the Pro Bowl twice and was a 1st alternate in 2000...Along with adding Pro Bowl TE Shannon Sharpe, Newsome recruited and signed DT Sam Adams, who produced his 1st 2 Pro Bowl seasons as a Raven (2000-01)..."We've been able to recruit and sign veterans who helped us win a Super Bowl and kept us competitive in other seasons," Newsome said...Newsome strategy: "Select the right player at the right price."

Go and get us some profiles of Asst. GM's from the better teams in the league. I would rather have a younger guy instead of a retread.

Are you serious? Bring in an experienced guy and let one of our young guys learn under him.

Scott Peoli should be the one and only move this team makes in the offseason prior to the draft.

Here is a list of possible GM canidates for '07

Charlie Casserly- unemployed but may still be shell shocked from Houston

Scott Pioli(New England)-Pioli's contract is up in NE and a offer of a GM spot would prevent the Patriots from blocking discussions. Scott Pioli is in his seventh season with the Patriots and has worked in concert with Head Coach Bill Belichick to build a consistent championship contender in New England. Their shared football philosophy has produced three Super Bowl championships, three conference titles and four division crowns since 2001.

Once Pioli and Belichick arrived in New England in 2000, it took the pair just two seasons to rebuild the foundation of the team. Since orchestrating the franchise's first Super Bowl victory following the 2001 season, Pioli and Belichick have executed a plan to produce continued success, becoming the only personnel director/head coach tandem in NFL history to win three Super Bowls in a four-year span (2001-04). The Patriots are the only NFL team to win at least one playoff game in each of the last three seasons (2003-05) and are the only team in the league to win nine or more games in each of the last five seasons (2001-05).

In recognition of his achievements, Pioli was awarded The Sporting News' George Young NFL Executive of the Year award (voted on by NFL executives) following the 2003 and 2004 seasons. He is one of just three NFL executives, along with Bill Polian and Bobby Beathard, to win the award in consecutive years. Pioli is the youngest executive to win the award.

The primary objective of Pioli's personnel philosophy is to build a team, not to simply collect individual talent. As a result, the Patriots have been able to prosper despite the NFL realities of injuries and the salary cap, which have proven in the past to be impediments to long-term success in pro football. In each of the last three seasons, the depth and versatility of New England's roster helped overcome key injuries to win three straight AFC East titles. In 2005, the Patriots utilized 45 different starters, setting a postmerger NFL record for a division champion. In 2003, the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXVIII despite using 42 different starters, the most in league history by a Super Bowl champion. In 2004, the Patriots employed 40 different starters as they won their second consecutive Super Bowl. Of the 53 players on the Patriots' final 2005 roster, 39 were acquired after the team's first championship in 2001. In an era of NFL parity and economic balance, the Patriots' personnel philosophy has helped to consistently build championship teams that have been greater than the sum of their parts.

The Patriots have used an effective combination of free agent signings, trades and draft picks to acquire championship-caliber players. Players drafted by Belichick and Pioli have earned a total of three Super Bowl MVP awards and seven Pro Bowl berths, while Tom Brady (a sixth round pick in 2000) and Richard Seymour (a first-rounder in 2001) are widely considered to be among the NFL's elite players. Veteran free agents signed by Belichick and Pioli include defensive co-captain Rodney Harrison, outside linebackers Mike Vrabel and Rosevelt Colvin and three-time Pro Bowl special teams captain Larry Izzo among dozens of other contributors to New England's championship squads. New England's trades have netted improvement in drafting position that led to the ability to exchange draft picks for key veterans such as Corey Dillon, who set the Patriots' single-season rushing record in 2004, and Ted Washington, an important contributor to the 2003 title team.

Ron Wolf- Said he done a few years back and is retired living in Annapolis,MD but could be lured out or retirement. Read Article http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/10/11/1/

Ozzie Newsome(Baltimore)-Under Newsome's guidance, the Ravens own a remarkable draft success...In the team's 1st 10 drafts, Newsome selected 1st-rounders who have earned the Pro Bowl a total of 28 times...The team's 1st picks ever, Jonathan Ogden and Ray Lewis - the 4th and 26th selections in the 1996 draft - have combined for 16 Pro Bowls...Both are considered likely NFL Hall of Famers...In those 10 drafts, Baltimore has selected in the bottom half of the 1st round with uncanny success: Lewis, who has twice been named as the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year; Todd Heap, at 31st in 2001, has been to 2 Pro Bowls; and Ed Reed, the 24th pick in '02, has gone to Hawaii twice and earned the NFL's MVP of defense in '04...Newsome strategy: "Select the best available player on the board."

In 5 consecutive drafts (2000-2004), the Ravens are the only NFL team to select more than 2 Pro Bowlers in the 1st round (Jamal Lewis, Heap, Reed and Terrell Suggs)...Reed and Heap are the only players in that span who were picked in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round to go to the Pro Bowl...In the 1st 10 years of Ravens' history, Newsome and his staff drafted 10 players who have been selected to go to Hawaii...Don Banks of SI.com wrote on 4/20/05: "The Ravens are the NFL's gold standard on draft day, consistently making choices that stand the test of time."

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS: Not only have Newsome's drafts been productive, but free agent signings have proven to be masterful as well...One of the game's all-time great players, former CB/S Rod Woodson, made the Pro Bowl as a safety for 3 seasons (1999-2001)...DE Michael McCrary made the Pro Bowl twice and was a 1st alternate in 2000...Along with adding Pro Bowl TE Shannon Sharpe, Newsome recruited and signed DT Sam Adams, who produced his 1st 2 Pro Bowl seasons as a Raven (2000-01)..."We've been able to recruit and sign veterans who helped us win a Super Bowl and kept us competitive in other seasons," Newsome said...Newsome strategy: "Select the right player at the right price."

Ranking your prospects in this order:

1. Pioli --Getting him would be a coup for this franchise. But if we do, be prepared for some big changes. He brings enough clout with him to allow him to do whatever he wants; like paring down the bloated coaching staff, and cutting/trading alot of high salary guys (remember New England doesn't like high salary players).

2. Wolf --He is a winner and he lives close by. Thars 2 good things going for him

3. Newsome --A great hire, but I doubt he'd leave Baltimore for us. The obvious reason is his team is winning now, and he's the toast of B-more because he waited to get McNair in the off-season. The second reason he probbably would'nt come would be that by living basically "up the road" , he's seen or read about our organizational dysfunctions and probably wants nothing to do with it.

4. Casserly --Drafted Desmond Howard, drafted Heath Schuler, DID NOT draft Reggie Bush. Nuff said.

This is all well and good, and I agree this team desperately needs to look into this. But, will Dan Snyder be willing to give up control to accommodate a general manager? That's the big thing standing in our way, I think.

Agreed. It's just wishful thinking to dream up lists of GM candidates -- why would any of them want the job? You'd be jammed between a meddling owner and a legendary coach. You can only lose.

Imagine this scenario: you're hired as GM and decide not to sign any big name free agents, just re-sign your own guys and sign a few guys for depth at positions like OG, LB, S, and special teams. Then you have only one read draft pick. And you blow it. You draft that can't-miss DE and he gets arrested and never plays.

The fan base would be calling for your head. Some (the dumber ones) would even want Cerrato back. And Danny and Joe would easily undermine you. You'd probably get fired.

Any GM would have NO margin for error. You couldn't take big risks. You'd have to hit home runs. And you'd be working for a guy with a history of firing anyone he doesn't play racquetball with just becaues he feels like it. That's not the kind of job any of those guys would take.

This organization has systemic problems, and they all start with Danny.

4. Casserly --Drafted Desmond Howard, drafted Heath Schuler, DID NOT draft Reggie Bush. Nuff said.

I thought Casserly wanted to draft Bush but the owner overruled him and that lead to Casserly's eventual resignation after the draft. Am I right or do I have that backwards?

I also thought the Howard pick was heavily Gibbs influenced. I was only like 10 at the time so I'm probably wrong on that.

I thought Casserly wanted to draft Bush but the owner overruled him and that lead to Casserly's eventual resignation after the draft. Am I right or do I have that backwards?

I also thought the Howard pick was heavily Gibbs influenced. I was only like 10 at the time so I'm probably wrong on that.

The Howard pick was influenced by Joe, but Casserly was the GM so I give him the blame for caving in. The reason why I was nervous when Gibbs was given personnel control in 2004 was because of that Howard pick in '92.

As for the Reggie Bush fiasco, I heard a different story. It said that Charley knew he was getting the NFL exec. position well before the draft so I doubt he was forced out.

Here we go again!!!! Lets go take someone else prize GM to become our overpaid, overhyped GM.

Guys, we need to get someone with a chip on there shoulder and a motivation to become great, not someone who is already great. Thats the problems with most fans, our owner, and our coaches. We go after high profile names, and offer them so much money, there ego blows up and now we have overrated players and coaches.

Lets get someone like a Phil Savage or anyone else who has talent, but needs to step to the plate and work there ass off.

Lets get someone like a Phil Savage or anyone else who has talent, but needs to step to the plate and work there ass off.

I'd like to find someone like Phil Savage. Although the Browns haven't turned it around yet under Savage, you can see they have a lot of good young talent to build with. The key though is patience. I'm not sure Danny would have it with a young GM like that.

A little history to clear up some earlier comments...

Beathard left the Skins because Gibbs wanted the final say on personnel and apparently JKC leaned in his direction. Casserly made it known immediately after the pick was made that trading two #1s to move up for Desmond Howard was Joe's idea.

Ranking your prospects in this order:

1. Pioli --Getting him would be a coup for this franchise. But if we do, be prepared for some big changes. He brings enough clout with him to allow him to do whatever he wants; like paring down the bloated coaching staff, and cutting/trading alot of high salary guys (remember New England doesn't like high salary players).

2. Wolf --He is a winner and he lives close by. Thars 2 good things going for him

3. Newsome --A great hire, but I doubt he'd leave Baltimore for us. The obvious reason is his team is winning now, and he's the toast of B-more because he waited to get McNair in the off-season. The second reason he probbably would'nt come would be that by living basically "up the road" , he's seen or read about our organizational dysfunctions and probably wants nothing to do with it.

I have to agree with this guy. Scott Pioli might be bored with all the winning in New England. Hopefully he needs a new challenge.

I agree. Bring Matt Millen here. Good choice. Detroit is a powerhouse every year. It would be "supersmart" :laugh:

The funny thing is if the Ford's hadn't beat him to it, I could of seen Dan hiring Millen to be the GM here. Just like he hired Marty after Marty ripped him on ESPN for how he ran his team. I bet Millen would of ripped him too and Danny would of called him up and said "You're hired!"

Ultimately whether or not we get a GM will rest with Gibbs. Gibbs, however, has said he believes in the guys we have now, which leads me to believe he doesn't want/isn't likely to bring in a GM. Quite frankly, I think his plan from when he took the job was to move up at the end of 5 years from coaching up to the GM position, so hiring a GM would put his own future here in doubt.

Ron Wolf would not want to be a GM again, nor do I think we would want him in that capacity, but I could definitely see hiring him as a draft consultant, just as the Browns did a couple years ago before that loser Butch Davis pushed him out. Danny and Vinito could still play fantasy football with all the free agents they want, but bring Wolf in to assemble a first class college scout team, and let him have the final say on who gets drafted. Then move Campbell back up to pro scouting and fire or demote Riddick. Wolf would only want to do this for a year or two, but would hopefully assemble a competent enough nucleus of college scouts so that one could take over about the same time Joe leaves coaching.

Archived