Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible GM Candidates with profiles

MAATopDogg

Scott Pioli is 41 years old and has been Bill Belichick's righthand man since 1997. He towers over the field among candidates who could be promoted to General Manager. To argue for him is an exercise in the obvious.

The problem is that his hiring would require Dan Snyder and Joe Gibbs to give up that which they enjoy, to someone with demonstrated excellence for the position. They would not do it, certainly not while ceding true authority to Pioli.

As for Scott Pioli, I can only assume he is too smart to come here. He has been approached by other teams before to become head of football operations. Why go to the Redskins? Under Dan Snyder, this team has turned everyone who touches it into crap.

But sure. This is the New Deal if there ever was one. Scott Pioli as Redskins GM, with genuine autonomy.

If Dan Snyder and Joe Gibbs mean what they say and want the best for the Redskins, they hire Scott Piol as general manager, they give him autonomy, and let him build this team into a dynasty.

Scott Pioli bio

Or we could go after this guy with ties to the team and the area....

Bobby DePaul, in his sixth year as the Bears director of pro personnel, has played an instrumental role to Chicago’s two division championships achieved during his tenure with the team. Hired on June 19, 2001, the 17-year NFL veteran came to Chicago after serving as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles player personnel department for four years following an eight-year career as an NFL assistant coach.

DePaul evaluates players in the professional ranks, prepares the club for its acquisitions through free agency or the waiver wire and manages the advance scouting for Bears opponents. In addition to supervising the pro personnel department, DePaul has a hand in day-to-day football operations, assisting with salary cap maintenance, contract negotiations and overseeing the development of scouting football systems technology.

DePaul entered the NFL in 1989, hired by former Bears defensive back Richie Petitbon as a member of Joe Gibbs’ coaching staff at Washington where he stayed until 1993 after winning an NFL championship with the Redskins’ Super Bowl XXVI victory over Buffalo. The Bowie, Md., native then served on the Bengals coaching staff for three seasons before joining the Eagles as a scout.

Born in 1963, DePaul attended Archbishop John Carroll High School in Washington, D.C., where he played fullback and linebacker on a team that lost only once during his three-year varsity career. DePaul attended the University of Maryland and played linebacker on three Atlantic Coast Conference champion Terrapin squads and made four bowl appearances under former Detroit Lions and San Diego Chargers head coach Bobby Ross. DePaul and his wife, Lisa, have two daughters, Ariel and Ashley.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8

Pioli, if he's enough of a masochist to come here is a no-brainer. I like the idea of bringing in DePaul too. While they've been up and down, the Bears have done an incredible job of bringing in the right players via draft and F.A. Furthermore, I would imagine he was part of the decision to bring in Lovie Smith as well. As a D.C. area native, former Terp and Gibbs disciple I'd almost rather have him over Pioli. Yes, I did say almost. :)

What really just drops my jaw though is the number of people on the board that for some reason still want Casserly back.:wtf: What the he11 is wrong with you people?? Let's, for the sake of argument, give him a pass on all the moves he made during Gibbs 1.0. After all, Gibbs did/does still have a lot of pull in the organization (nevermind that Gibbs is now back so that would still potentially be a problem).

What then, do you make of all the other boneheaded moves he made after coach Gibbs left? First, I'll point out that the Norv Turner debacle began on his watch. If that's not enough, there was Baby Heath, M. Westbroke, Sterling Palmer, A. Johnson (how does one draft a guy in the first round who can't even make it in the CFL???) and for the coup de grace, I give you Brad freaking Limp Arm Johnson. :rolleyes::stop: I'm sure there's more BTW, especially if you're willing to look at his moves to destroy the Texans, but this is all I could come up with off the top of my head.

In any event, I say somebody needs to start an intervention thread for these fools. Someone has simply got to bring them back from the edge of the abyss.

Archived