Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Longterm solution to our fan's depression...

skinsngibbs4life

Every year it seems like the same phrase is uttered around here going into the season, "We're going to the superbowl."

High expectations will always lead to disaster. All we are doing by getting so excited before the season is playing into Snyders plan. All he is a business man, and all the hype brings in is increased sales for him.

So, heres my idea. During next years offseason, lets go into the season with extremely low expectations for this team. No matter what big name free agents we are bound to sign, no matter how much hype this team is going to reciever, lets just plan for the worst.

Part of the reason this why this season is such a bust is because we were expected to make a deep playoff run this year. If the expectations wern't so high, this season wouldnt be seen as such a dissapointment(although it really is)

If we go into next season thinking that we will be a below .500 team(which we really are), then this board will be a better place, and people wont overreact with such failure.

Just a thought.

I would agree with you up until a point.

This team (as I see it from a fan's point of view) has talent. It's a team that could go deep into the playoffs and could possibly win a Super Bowl. What it doesn't have is talent in the right places and NO CHEMISTRY (due in large part to too many acquisitions and departures). Some of the worst teams (on paper) do well because they get along with each other on and off the field and the fact that they are together for a number of years as a unit they understand each other's strength's and have bonded.

What frustrates me the most is that every year we basically are in the same position. We do the same things in the off season yet never improve. It's always the same thing and yet other teams in the league who are 'less talented' improve. The Dolphins, Titans, 49ers etc. etc. are far less talented than we are yet they have better records. WTF????

You only play this game for one reason: to win Super Bowls. Anything less is a failure. Anything that is done that does not put you on the course for a Super Bowl is a mistake.

Danny Snyder isn't about Super Bowls. He is about fleecing the fanbase. Throw out some turds and watch them eat it up. Bring in this big name FA because people will buy his jersey. That guy's jersey didn't sell, don't resign him. Pay money for this coach, this will get fans excited and will sell a little more.

If he is making money off fans winning the off-season Super Bowl, what does he care if the team never wins the real one?

longterm solution, have Snyder give out 4 free cups of beer to every fan who requests it for the next 6 years, the amount of time we have been under misery under his ownership. That may not necessarily help the team, but it may help us a bit, and would make us louder anyways. Now if he's super nice, lets make that free beer for the next 13 years, for the number of crap years we have seen since 1992.

BTW, we had this idea before the 2005 season, no big name signings except the trade for Moss (who most of us doubted anyways, I didn't :) ) Rabach and Patten were signed, and we just thought "meh, our season is gonna suck".

How about our solution is drafting players, pick up blue-collar free agents like Rabach and Patten to decent contracts, and lets go from there. Draft Gaines Adams, trade to get Nate Clements, and pick up some lower tier depth, we'll be in great shape.

Danny Snyder isn't about Super Bowls. He is about fleecing the fanbase

This is EXACTLY spot-on and the reason why it has become irrelevant that we ever have a winning team. I've been a Skins fan since the 1970's and at this point am seriously thinking of following only college football. At least in that arena they CARE about winning and hate losing.

longterm solution, have Snyder give out 4 free cups of beer to every fan who requests it for the next 6 years, the amount of time we have been under misery under his ownership. That may not necessarily help the team, but it may help us a bit, and would make us louder anyways. Now if he's super nice, lets make that free beer for the next 13 years, for the number of crap years we have seen since 1992.

BTW, we had this idea before the 2005 season, no big name signings except the trade for Moss (who most of us doubted anyways, I didn't :) ) Rabach and Patten were signed, and we just thought "meh, our season is gonna suck".

How about our solution is drafting players, pick up blue-collar free agents like Rabach and Patten to decent contracts, and lets go from there. Draft Gaines Adams, trade to get Nate Clements, and pick up some lower tier depth, we'll be in great shape.

I agree about the direction that this team needs to go when aquiring players, but this isn't what this is about.

No matter what happens this offseason(whether we sign clements,freeney, and briggs or we sign no one), we need to stop over-estimating this team. All we ever do in the offseason is hope for the super bowl. So unless we get to the super bowl, we will be dissapointed. The odds of winning the super bowl, as you all know, are slim every year. So why not bring the expectations down a little bit. This way, if we dont meet the expectations, at least it wont be so out-landish that we are utterly dissapointed, and anything better than our expectations is added bonus.

Danny Snyder isn't about Super Bowls. He is about fleecing the fanbase. Throw out some turds and watch them eat it up. Bring in this big name FA because people will buy his jersey.

I know the way things are going that this is how it seems. But Dan loses more money in these FA players (let go early) from their crazy bonuses. Do you think he makes more in jersey sales to compensate a 10M loss? If so, not much and it's not worth the trouble. A VL Trophy ADDS revenue... not take any away. And since we're not even going to show up in Miami, he can't raise the parking to $45 next year. The problem with Dan Snyder is the same one he quoted to his friends not long ago: "One day I'm going to own this team and fix them." Reminds me of the locals (except the owning part) whom I've argued with for over 30 years. The last 3 years he has stayed out of it and let the coaches take over. Both types of solutions don't seem to be working. But, except for 1 year, there seems to be a constant. Can you name who that is? He needs to get rid of his Fantasy Football files and submit his best bet on acquisitons from what he SEES. Good old fashion gut feelings... like Bugel had with Jacoby and Gibbs had with Didier.

It would be a good step to resigning our young players this year and trading down in the draft for more picks, maybe even trading some of our RFA's for extra draft picks. I remember going into the 05 season, we picked up very little free agents and just happened to field a competitive team. Imagine that.

Archived