Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, what are the positions of need now?

skinsngibbs4life

Less Coaches and this is rarely ever said but we need an impact inside linebacker, Marshall is just OK, we need a Urlacher or Ray Lewis type who can blow up plays in the backfield and Marshall just isn't that type of player.

I laughed; ANY team could use a "Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher" type because they're the best in the league. In my opinion we need:

A veteran Corner (though I don't know that we'll have the cash to acquire one)

An End to replace/spell Daniels/Carter who is versatile (Adams won't be on the board I'm afraid)

A kicker without a shattered psyche or mangled leg.

I think the O-line play looks "bad" because of the system, not because they are consistently garbage. If I recall correctly they're in the bottom 3rd for sacks allowed; I know this doesnt account for our QB's getting pressured, but its a stat worth mentioning.

1) Draft a DE. We really need an impact player here. If we have a high pick (which it looks like we will) Gaines Adams is a hell of a pass rusher but he isn't as stout against the run. However, his frame can probably take more weight without losing speed so if he puts on another 10-15 lbs that might improve his run stopping ability. LeMarr Woodley from Michigan is a great pass rusher as well as great against the run. However, he isn't as tall as some would like for a 4-3 DE...he might work better as an LB in 3-4 in the NFL. That being said, there is no way to know seeing as how Dwight Freeney is pretty much the exact same size and we all know he certainly isn't a scrub.

2) Sign a CB in FA. Springs isn't getting any younger and Rogers has not shown that he is capable of being a #1 corner. The rest of our CBs are pretty awful. Drafting a CB is a risky prospect; their NFL impact is almost as unknown as a QB. We could go for Clements but I think he is a bit overrated. I would go for Samuel. He is, IMO, just as good and would come cheaper.

3) Look for an under the rader MLB in the draft if possible. This is another position we really need. Marshall is just not cutting it there. To be honest MLB and DE were a toss up for me as far as #1. We are in dire need of a great run stopping MLB but in at least as dire a need of a young, impact DE who we can groom and keep with us for many years.

4) Sign an OL FA. We need help on the OL but don't have enough picks to get an impact player in the draft. Leonard Davis or Eric Steinbach would be nice.

5) Build up some depth with our remaining couple picks (maybe SS or OL).

Of course we could trade down our high pick and get a lower first rounder plus a 2nd and 3rd, but if we are in a position to pick up a major stud at a position we really need I think we should go for it. Otherwise go ahead and trade down.

:2cents:

I love Portis but we should think about trading him. We need to recoup some of these draft picks we have pissed away in recent years.

We have a solid RB in Betts and are on the verge of extending his contract. I know a lot of you think we should trade someone else on the team but who is going to return quality picks like Portis?

This team needs to rebuild.

Let me guess, it was the entertainment and cooking staff that allowed the Titanic to run into that huge iceberg as well, right?

Let's put the blame where it belongs.... on the people in charge. No they don't make the tackles, or throw the passes, but it's their job to acquire the proper players, teach them the techniques and system, and to get them to perform. If they don't perform, it's the coaches who should be finding a way to appropriately punish the players. Obviously none of that is happening, so no matter what players you have, the team isn't going to be successful under this staff. At least that's how I see it.

So when a team wins it all, why is it always the players that get the credit for winning it. Teams win and its the players, teams lose and its the coaches? There needs to be some balance with this. I would agree with your statement if when we win it all, the coaches get all the credit. Which we all know is not going to happen. Does aquiring cris cooley equate to a failure. I think he was a great addition. So when he drops a few key passes in a game, did the coaches fail to coach him up for that? or did they fail in aquiring him? Or should we stop blaming the coaches all the time and just admit from time to time that players can burden some of the blame as well. Just a thought?

So when a team wins it all, why is it always the players that get the credit for winning it. Teams win and its the players, teams lose and its the coaches? There needs to be some balance with this. I would agree with your statement if when we win it all, the coaches get all the credit. Which we all know is not going to happen. Does aquiring cris cooley equate to a failure. I think he was a great addition. So when he drops a few key passes in a game, did the coaches fail to coach him up for that? or did they fail in aquiring him? Or should we stop blaming the coaches all the time and just admit from time to time that players can burden some of the blame as well. Just a thought?

Don't bother - he's insane.

The team needs a CB in a big way. First of all, even if Shawn Springs and Carlos Rogers are healthy (and they almost never are) if Kenny Wright is our nickle back we are going to give up a lot of third down conversions. We need a young CB who can start off at nickle back and gradually work his way to the starting line-up as Springs shifts to nickle duty. The most important thing for this defense right now is to make sure they do not have to rely on Springs and Rogers being healthy.

The second thing they need to do is either figure out how to use Adam Archuletta or replace him. AA is a liability in coverage, we all knew that from the day we signed him. EVERYBODY has always said - "Adam Archuletta is a hell raiser in the box, but he's no good in coverage." And yet, there he was, in coverage. Partly that is because the CB situation is so dire the safeties HAD to stay back.

I don't know what is taking Rocky McIntosh so long to crack the line-up, but if he isn't the answer they need to move along quickly. Marcus Washington is trying to do the job of three people, and it isn't working.

Defensive line has serious age issues. We need to draft a potential starter at three of the four positions. Obviously, this can't be done in one year, so we should settle for picking one up this season.

Offensively, the personnel looks good, although Jansen and Samuels aren't getting any younger. But I think once we come back next season with an expeirenced Campbell and a healthy Portis, the offense should be fine. But this year's draft and free agency shopping should be exclusively defense orientated.

What is our biggest position of need? GM.

Just because you're a great coach doesnt mean you're a great GM. I'm sorry Joe but you should stick to coaching. You're killing us with some of these HORRIBLE personnel decisions and trading a HIGH 3rd rounder for a RB that gets 2-3 carries a game and will be gone in a year.

The players get the credit when they win because the majority of fans and the media have no concept of what goes into coaching, gameplanning, calling a game, etc... The players are also the face of the team that the fans generally attach to much more than the coaches and owner.

When a team loses the coaches get the blame because of that attachment I just talked about. People don't like to blame their "friends" when things go wrong, so they blame the coaching staff that they generally don't relate to as closely as they do with the players.

The job of a coach is two-fold. First, it's to be a Teacher. To teach the players the playbook, the plays, and the techniques necessary to ensure that the player can carry out his assignments on the field as close to perfectly as humanly possible. The second job of a coach is to be a Supervisor/Boss for the players. They need to be able to praise or discipline the players when they succeed or fail, and to make that praise or discipline mean something to the players. Unfortunately in this day and age or guaranteed signing bonus money, the salary cap, and the NFLPA being as strong as it is, it's nearly impossible for coaches to really discipline/punish players who fail to perform on the field. Even benching a player means little to many of them, since they still get their paycheck whether they play a single down or not.

I really see no level of consequence for NFL players who fail to live up to their abilities in this day and age. In the days before the salary cap they'd lose their starting job, or possibly even get cut if they didn't play up to expectations. Nowadays the NFLPA won't even allow a team to put an underperforming or disruptive star player on the inactive list without making a Supreme Court case out of it.

It is the job of the coaches to put the players in a position and mindset where the players are scared to fail. Where they want to give everything they've got on every single play because they know if they don't, they may not get another chance to be on the field, or they may pay monetarily for their failures. Unfortunately nowadays that is an incredibly difficult thing for coaches to do in the NFL.

Does that explain it a little better for you?

Archived