Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Overrated vs Underrated

dmgephart

Ok, i just want to get this off my chest! Am I the only human being on this planet that thinks Tom Brady is way overrated. Everyone talks like Brady such a great QB and he is as good as Peyton Manning. I am so sick of it. Put Brady on another team and lets see how good he is. Great Qbs make there team better, example P. Manning or B. Favre and even venture to say Drew Brees. But what makes Tom Brady so good is a great TEAM, I think he is a product of the team, kind of like all the Running Backs in Denver ( except for Portis ofcourse). And while I am talking about Overrated, what about Trent Green, I really don't think he gets the credit he deserves, I really think Washington should have kept him. But hind sight is 20/20 right. Just my thought for the day! I am sure this will stir up some debate. So let's just ask the question who is the most overrated and underrated QB right now.

I say T. Brady is the most Overrated and T. Green is most underrated

Go Skins!

You think manning does not have support? I think his receivers are better than Brady's by alot. Also the skins did not want to get rid of Green, the ownership change was going on and no one was in charge to OK spending that amount of cash, so they had to let him go.

I'm not saying Manning doesn't have great support, I am just saying if you put Brady on another team would he be as good? Everyone talks about his three SB rings, I think it was the team that won all of those not Brady!!! I just don't think he is as good as everyone says, maybe that goes back to my dislike of Michigan

I'm not saying Manning doesn't have great support, I am just saying if you put Brady on another team would he be as good? Everyone talks about his three SB rings, I think it was the team that won all of those not Brady!!! I just don't think he is as good as everyone says, maybe that goes back to my dislike of Michigan

I think if you put Brady on the Colts they win the Super Bowl last year, this year, and for years to come.

I agree that Tom Brady is overrated.

I think that Peyton Manning makes the colts who they are.

I don't really agree on Trent Green.

This topic piqued my interest as I wrote a paper on underrated vs overrated for a 'sports in the american culture' writing class. Greatest course ever.

Ok, i just want to get this off my chest! Am I the only human being on this planet that thinks Tom Brady is way overrated. Everyone talks like Brady such a great QB and he is as good as Peyton Manning. I am so sick of it. Put Brady on another team and lets see how good he is. Great Qbs make there team better, example P. Manning or B. Favre and even venture to say Drew Brees. But what makes Tom Brady so good is a great TEAM, I think he is a product of the team, kind of like all the Running Backs in Denver ( except for Portis ofcourse). And while I am talking about Overrated, what about Trent Green, I really don't think he gets the credit he deserves, I really think Washington should have kept him. But hind sight is 20/20 right. Just my thought for the day! I am sure this will stir up some debate. So let's just ask the question who is the most overrated and underrated QB right now.

Go Skins!

at least your post is amusing.

did you see the times he threw from his ass on the turf and completed great throws? he is up there in wins and stats every single year, but can you name one of his receivers without looking it up? doubt it. he has great support and great coaches, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't make a qb.

prime example would be terry bradshaw. he had the greatest support in probably all of NFL history, as far as O-Line and receivers go, and his stats were horrific. you still have to be a good qb, no matter who you have.

as for brett favre, what's it been, a decade since he helped the packers with anything?

Go Skins!

You should have kept that on your chest.

The "put beady on another team" argument is ridiculous. He's a great QB on his current team and that's all that matters. The same goes for people who us the "hes a product of the system" agrument.

Name one team that has worse WRs than the Pats. Manning has a future HOFer and one of the best (if not the best) #2 in the NFL. On top of that, until the Pats got Dillon, they didn't have much of a running game either. Brady has done more with less than any QB in football, maybe ever.

Name one team that has worse WRs than the Pats.

Now, you name one team with a better #1/#2 RB combination than that Patriots.

Look it up, Dillon/Maroney are the best two RB combination in the league (coming into this week at least).

I think what the original poster meant to say is that he has had a running game a defense to work with. And, they have had Deion Branch for the past couple of years, he chose to leave.

And, Peyton Manning and his play action set up the run, so don't say that he has a good running game to work with. And don't say that he had Edge all of those years and he was special, because Addai & Rhodes together have comporable stats. And lets not even talk about the Colts' D.

Now, you name one team with a better #1/#2 RB combination than that Patriots.

Look it up, Dillon/Maroney are the best two RB combination in the league (coming into this week at least).

I think what the original poster meant to say is that he has had a running game a defense to work with. And, they have had Deion Branch for the past couple of years, he chose to leave.

Man, can you pleeeease pass me some of the weed you have been smoking, because I could sure use a hit :D

So tell me then, when he won the SB in 01, who were his receivers and RBs??? I'll tell you. . .

RBs. . .

Antoine Smith

JR Redman

Kevin Faulk (although he was used sparringly)

WR

Troy Brown

David Patten

Fred Coleman

Charles Johnson

TE

Jermaine Wiggins

He was on his OWN 20 yard line with NO time outs left, and those were the weapons he had to use. Yes, I repeat, THOSE were his "weapons". he drove down the field and wont the FRICKIN SB with that roster of weapons. Are you KIDDING me???? Overrated??? WTF???

And, Peyton Manning and his play action set up the run, so don't say that he has a good running game to work with. And don't say that he had Edge all of those years and he was special, because Addai & Rhodes together have comporable stats. And lets not even talk about the Colts' D.

Payton Manning has had a hall of fame receiver, and a hall ofg fame RB EVERY SINGLE YEAR he has been QB!!!! Look it up :doh:

Marvin Harrisson

Reggie Wayne

Edgerin James/Marshall Faulk

What does he have for it? A losing record in the playoffs :doh: What is Brady's record in the playoffs? 10-1 :doh:

Overrated, what a freaking joke.

If you want to make yourself look like a fool, just take a big crap in the middle of I-95 and start rolling around in it. . .but even then you wouldn't look as ridiculous as you do right now :laugh:

Here is one more link for you to digest. . .yes, it is a comparison of Brady and Manning, and it should open your eyes up.

What separates Tom Brady from Peyton Manning? Everything you need to know was highlighted in the annual AFC-NFL all-star scrimmage called the Pro Bowl.

Manning was spectacular in Honolulu, in a game that means nothing. He completed 6 of 10 passes for 130 yards and three touchdowns, earned the game’s MVP honors, became just the first player in 21 years to win the regular-season and Pro Bowl MVP awards in the same season and padded his Pro Bowl resume with his 9th, 10th and 11th all-star game touchdown passes.

Brady, meanwhile, appeared bored and disinterested during the two drives he played in the Pro Bowl. He said all the right things during the week, but clearly did not care about being in Honolulu. It showed during the game. Just seven days removed from his third Super Bowl-winning performance in four years – a game in which he posted a 110.2 passer rating against a defense that featured three Pro Bowl defensive backs – Brady played his single-worst statistical game of the season. He completed just 4 of 9 passes for 48 yards with an interception by Philly defensive back Lito Sheppard -- a full week after it would have counted. Brady’s 21.8 passer rating in the scrimmage was the lowest he’s posted in his entire career.

Manning’s passer rating of 143.8, meanwhile, made the Pro Bowl the third best statistical game of his record-shattering 2004 season.

Of course, Manning apologists will look at this as a sign of his greatness. The Cold, Hard Football Facts point and laugh, fully aware that greatness rears its head not in the Pro Bowl scrimmage, but in the do-or-die pressure of playoff football.

Brady’s brilliance in the postseason pressure cooker and Manning’s brilliance in the meaningless Pro Bowl scrimmage provide a perfect case study in the differences between the two quarterbacks. So, too, do these two recent postseason performances:

Brady

In the AFC title game, on the road against 16-1 Pittsburgh, in a hostile environment, against the No. 1 rated total defense and scoring defense in all of football, against a team that did not lose a single home game all season, with wind chills hovering near 0, in a contest in which his team needed him the most, Brady played his very best game of the season. He completed 14 of 21 passes for 207 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions. New England won, 41-27. The Patriots scored more than that only once (42 vs. Cleveland in December) since September 2001. It was the most points Pittsburgh surrendered since September 2003. Brady’s 130.5 rating was his highest since a 38-7 win over Buffalo back in November 2002. Brady, of course, did all this following a night in which he lay ill in his hotel bed, with a temperature of 103 and IV needles stuck in his arm.

Manning

In the AFC divisional playoffs, on the road against 14-2 New England, in a hostile environment, against the No. 2 scoring defense in all of football, against a team that did not lose a single home game in two seasons, with snow blowing across the field, in a game in which his team needed him most, Manning played his very worst game of the season. He completed 27 of 42 passes for 238 yards with one interception. For the first time in a season in which Manning set an NFL record with 49 touchdown passes, he failed to find the end zone even once. It was the fewest points Indy scored since a 41-0 loss to the N.Y. Jets in, of course, the 2002 playoffs. It was the fewest points New England surrendered since December 2003. Manning’s 69.3 rating was his lowest in any game since, of course, his last playoff loss, a four-interception performance against New England in the 2003 AFC title game.

In other words, back when the opponents were tough and the games counted, Brady stood head and shoulders above Manning and above the football world.

In three playoff games, Brady was flawless. Literally. He went through an entire postseason without an interception – a postseason that included games against the top two scoring defenses in the NFL. His cumulative postseason passer rating of 109.4 (55 for 81, 67.9%, 587 yards, 5 TDs/0 INTs) was his best in any three consecutive games he played all season. Brady, in other words, elevated his performance when the games counted most.

In his fifth NFL all-star game, Manning was virtually flawless. He’s thrown a Pro Bowl-record 11 touchdown passes. The second-best Pro Bowl quarterback has thrown just seven touchdowns. Manning, in other words, has elevated his performance when the games counted least.

Of course, the meaninglessness of the Pro Bowl failed to register with ESPN’s mental midgets – Joe Theismann, Paul Maguire, Mike Patrick – who announced the game. Early in the scrimmage, ESPN showed a picture of Tom Brady standing on the sidelines.

“Tom Brady’s never thrown more than 28 touchdown passes in a season,” said Theismann. “For Marino and Manning, that’s just half a year.”

“They’re just getting warmed up,” joked the slob Maguire, who couldn’t resist worshipping at the altar of meaningless Manning performances.

It would have been entertaining television – if Theismann and Maguire didn’t sound so stupid. Marino, of course, played 17 years in the NFL and is the all-time league leader with 420 touchdown passes. Yet he threw more than 28 touchdown passes just four times, and only once in his last 13 years in the NFL. Manning, meanwhile, has thrown for more than 28 touchdown passes three times in seven years – 33 in 2000; 29 in 2003 and 49 in 2004.

Manning was worshipped following his 29 touchdown passes in 2003. In fact, he won regular-season co-MVP honors and led an offense that people said couldn’t be stopped. But Brady, according to the likes of Theismann and Maguire, is a statistical nobody after throwing 28 touchdowns twice in his first four years as a fulltime player and winning three Super Bowls.

Consider this: Brady has averaged more than 24 touchdown passes per season in his first four years as fulltime player. If he plays as long as Marino and keeps up this rate, he’ll finish his career with 388 touchdown passes. That would place him second on the all-time touchdown list. Marino averaged 24.7 TD passes per season. Brady averages 24.2 touchdown passes per season. Not bad for a guy who doesn’t put up big numbers.

As for Manning, maybe someday he will bottle his Pro Bowl magic and twist off the cap when the games actually count. Until then his lofty numbers in the Pro Bowl, or his six TD passes against an overmatched Detroit team in midseason, merely make a mockery of his postseason ineptitude. Expect his bottle of Pro Bowl brilliance to collect dust with all the other empty honors that sit on Manning’s mantel.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=109

Now put down the beer, get off of your sister, wipe the Payton sanchez from across your upper lip and go bug someone else about how Jesus and Ghandi were overrated :doh:

Wow, not really a debate, more of a Brady is the greatest and manning sucks thing but what the heck! With all of your statistics maybe Brady isn't overrated, but like I said maybe I think this because I don't like michigan! But anyway I just wanted to see what everyone else thought! So I guess I will go find someone to bug about Ghandi being overrated.

Wow, not really a debate, more of a Brady is the greatest and manning sucks thing but what the heck! With all of your statistics maybe Brady isn't overrated, but like I said maybe I think this because I don't like michigan! But anyway I just wanted to see what everyone else thought! So I guess I will go find someone to bug about Ghandi being overrated.

If you can point out where someone said Manning sucks you maybe on to something. Nobody here thinks Peyton sucks, but everybody here (besides you) realizes Brady is a winner - pure and simple, the guy wins. He won in high school, he won in college, and he wins in the NFL. If that's being overrated, overrated is a very nice thing to be - and I hope that one day Jason Campbell is very, very, very overrated.

Just for you:

jmkfbcbradypass041898.gif

Archived