Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting Boswell dig

Riggins Seventy Chip

Did anyone else catch this? Sorry if this has already been posted.

From Boswell's column today:

The Redskins' defensive secondary -- almost as vulnerable in the past -- also made progress. Vernon Fox, picked up off the street in August, proved that a Washington safety can play an entire game without letting a receiver get behind him. Amazing things happen when the play develops in front of you. You can see what's happening and react -- even intercept a pass, as Fox did.

I see this as a dig against Steven Jackson's coaching, wanting the safeties to be more aggressive. Anyone else see it the same way?

I see this as a dig against Steven Jackson's coaching, wanting the safeties to be more aggressive. Anyone else see it the same way?

I see it more as a slap at Archuletta's worthless ass

Absofu*kinglutely is it a dig at Steven Jackson's coaching since he is the reason that the safeties haven't been able to make big plays. He deserves any criticism he gets for messing up the 1st half.

In light of what I've read in Tom Friends piece I'd take it more as a dig against Gregg Williams. It was him that had a hardon for Archuletta thinking that he'd be able to employ a scheme with Sean Taylor on one side and baby Taylor on the other.

Sounds familiar doesn't it? Kinda like the brain dead scheme of not having your best corner matchup with the opponents best receiver.

I know we all love the 'Skins, and we annoint as "genius" every coach we have (or like). But let's get serious, folks. Grown men running around in shorts, slapping one another on the behind, playing a kid's game, these are not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. Sure, one or two are brilliant, but most copy one another. They get so caught up in themselves, and in their "genius" label, that they really cannot think creatively for themselves. Most are copycats. GW is stubborn. He refused to change, until it finally dawned on him that his schemes were leading this team into last place. Sadly, I fear his changes are too little, too late.

Everyone on the list knew that AA was not right for this team. Having two S. Taylors would not be a strength for this defense. We needed a cover safety, like Ryan Clark. Not only to cover deep, but also to cover for ST. I figured we overpaid for AA, since we were unsure what and how ST's legal problems would be resolved. If ST went to jail (like mano of us feared last spring), then AA would have been a brilliant move. But Hey, the grass is always greener.

:(

I know we all love the 'Skins, and we annoint as "genius" every coach we have (or like). But let's get serious, folks. Grown men running around in shorts, slapping one another on the behind, playing a kid's game, these are not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. Sure, one or two are brilliant, but most copy one another. They get so caught up in themselves, and in their "genius" label, that they really cannot think creatively for themselves. Most are copycats. GW is stubborn. :(

I've always wondered this too. Are these guys really that good or is it just that most smart people never even try to get into coaching? Williams does seem to be a little too fond of Buddy Ryan as well. I know Gibbs hated that guy with a passion but Williams runs a defense like he did and is somewhat similar and refuses to change when things don't work for most of a season.

"Most of these sports writers are just idiots.... They take what we allready know... and beat it to death.... they just make things worse.. most of them I think

Hey Boswell "Tell me something I dont know... !!!!!!!!!!1"

I have to disagree. Boswell is an insightful writer who almost always has something interesting to say. I don't understand why you would say "they just make things worse." That is nonsensical.

Archived