Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES COVERAGE: Joe Gibbs' Press Conference 11/20/06

JimmiJo

Joe Gibbs' Press Conference

11/20/06

:helmet:

Greetings!

I am here, ready to hang on every word and nuance from our coach. I saw that someone asked about some big announcement today. Apparently this came from Howard Bryant's blog. While Howard is but two seats from me currently, I am heard nothing myself...

Stand by...

I’m not really sure what we learned today. Gibbs came out and had that look as if he wanted to announce something. Instead we heard that ‘this game is kinda where we are, and that it’s not where we want to be. Further, if that’s the case on Wednesday we will decide that if this is where are, and this is where we want to be, how do we get there?’

My friends, I am not the smartest man around, so forgive me while I figure out exactly what that meant…

I am being a little facetious, but only a little. I think it meant that after a review the next day or so, the coach is going to chart a new course for the team that will hopefully get them going in the right direction. What this portends specifically, I guess we will find out Wednesday.

Gibbs gave Jason Campbell good marks on the game, citing two “outstanding” throws – the throw to Thrash (I believe) with a defender pulling him from behind, and the touchdown to Yoder. His praise is still very much tempered for Campbell.

When asked specifically what, beyond Jason Cambell, should fans take encouragement from in terms of developing players or improving areas of the team, the coach answered that ‘The Fans’ are what is encouraging about this team (he obviously did not see some of the comments in this very thread…). As much as I love the recognition, I think it was a poor answer – because it was not an answer. This is the second time I’ve heard him asked this question in spirit. I doubt it will be the last.

Gibbs was pressed on the poor play of the defense, but would cite nothing specifically in terms of what the real problems are. I thought Joseph White from the AP did a great job following up on the defense by setting up the question by pointing out Gibbs’ own comments, specifically the positive comments Gibbs has shared with members of the 30th-ranked defense – with the logic being ‘if these guys are so great, why are you ranked 30th?’ Gibbs again gave us very little in his answer.

I appreciated last week’s presser because with the Campbell move to starter Gibbs announced something, an action to hopefully correct the direction of the team. Today however, he was back to what we had been seeing in the weeks prior to last – answers that tell us little. I’m not suggesting that Gibbs should be obligated to share all of his thinking with the press, but there is a part of me that remembers a Doc Walker rant on the radio following the loss to the Titans saying that “it is time for some frank dialogue.”

I think there were good questions today. I didn’t get any in, as the ones I had were asked early in some form or fashion.

Im listening to the guy checking the mic... haha let's see if I can hear you... Yell something out.

The voice you heard was from the boom mic operator. I have actually been called on once to do a mic check. I cannot tell you how exciting that was.

Ok, not really... :)

Archived