Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The truth about the 12 yard cushion

IChiefLikeCP26

I have seen a lot of people ripping Carlos Rogers for his 12 yard cushions. I have yet to see anyone rip Shaun Springs for the exact same thing!

After the Philly game, GW in his postgame interview was asked about the cushion, and he said he would talk to Carlos about it.

Fast forward to last game...SAME CUSHION, and Springs gives the same too.

This leads me to the real truth!

This is what Williams defense is calling for. If Springs gives the same cushion, and they were supposed to correct this...it seems very eveident that this is what Williams wants them to do.

Maybe he is scared that the DBs will get burned deep or something but please stop ripping Rogers for this, its obviously something the coaches can see, and didn't see a need to fix...

Yeah but no one picks on Springs as much as they do Carlos. He is ALWAYS giving up first downs. Springs has a reputation of being a "better" CB unlike Carlos.

carlos gives the cushion more often and teams are keying in on it

with short hitches,in's,and any other short quick route they can run.

It is possible that Springs is in different coverage than Rogers. It is possible that Rogers has help deep and is therefore suppossed to be on his man, while Springs has some LB help underneath, but has no help deep. What I do know is that teams do not continually throw in front of Springs for first down. It seems teams now have a simple rule on 3rd and less than 6: Find Carlos and then throw the ball in front of him.

I would love to know if anyone has ever seen one of the redskins cornerbacks actually jam somebody? Is that just outlawed in GW's (so-called) defense?

I would think that a good jam and tight coverage could be helpful in trying to force the QB to hold the ball longer, maybe helping our inept D-line get a pass rush...

But what would I know?

^^^Bingo. Jam the receiver and knock them off their routes. $10 says if Carlos had jammed Galloway he wouldn't have burned him on that touchdown play. If it's Gregg's idea to give that cushion, he needs to be fired(obviously not only for that reason lol). I'm not even kidding. This is one of the most glaring problems with our defense.

Sometimes you can give a cushion, like on 1st & Ten, however the problem is one short down situations like 3rd & 3, if the CB is playing 5-8 yards off the line, then when the ball is snapped, the WR will always be able to make the 1st down catch, with minimal defenders in his way.

If the cushion wasn't Willams call, why does Springs give the same cushion on the same plays, and also why hasn't it been corrected?

He shouldn't be fired for this but come on...

a good jam would help out, but so would only giving say 7 yards, which is still plenty if getting burned is their worry.

Yeah but no one picks on Springs as much as they do Carlos. He is ALWAYS giving up first downs. Springs has a reputation of being a "better" CB unlike Carlos.

Right, since Springs had a PI in the endzone and got straight leveled by allstot. :rolleyes:

While I like how our offense is young (aside the o-line), we really have little to no youth on defense aside from Carlos, Taylor, and Rocky.

.........This leads me to the real truth!...............

My God Man, you've done it. Everyone, come, listen, he's found the TRUTH, for the love of all humanity, the TRUTH has finally been unveiled. My good man, the TRUTH shall set you free.

jk man, trying to have some fun this morning :D

Two things... did you see the replay of the Galloway touchdown? The endzone replay shows GW chucking his clipboard as soon as Galloway catches the pass. Clearly, GW is as frustrated as we are.

Second, you just can't play bump and run coverage without a pass rush. GW is trying to play bend, don't break defense right now... because he can't get a pass rush even when he blitzes 8 guys... and he definitely can't get a pass rush from the front four.

It's a pick your poison situation for the D coaching staff right now.

This is what Williams defense is calling for. If Springs gives the same cushion, and they were supposed to correct this...it seems very eveident that this is what Williams wants them to do.

I've been thinking that this may indeed be the case, the only problem is that opposing coaches keep throwing toward Carlos' side, and he keeps giving up major chuncks of yargage, he also seems to be out of position an awful lot. Springs doesn't seem to be giving up nearly as much as Rogers has been.:2cents:

its funny how we weren't calling for G. William's head for the past two seasons. I do agree, in that i think that the corners should jam, it does throw off the timing of some of these routes. I think we give Springs a pass because he has made some plays. C. Rogers on the other hand seems to get beat regardless. It doesn't matter if he jams or if he gives a cushion - slant routes, comeback routes, go routes. It doesn't matter with this kid. But the problem really is the front seven. If you can't get pressure with your front four, that will make even a probowl secondary average. Secondly, if your second line of defense (the linebackers), can't tackle or make plays on the ball then you are pretty much doomed. This is the reason why it appears that S. Taylor is not having a good season. He's basically called on to do everything (Run Support, Cover 2, man to man on recievers, blitz)... how many holes does he have to fill?

Doc Walker, mentioned last week that he talked to a number of players off the record about whats going on this season. And the ALL confessed that its not the coaching at all. They said that the coaches prepare them well during the week in film and practice, but they are simply not getting it done. That right there should tell us alot.

I think Springs is guilty as well. The entire defense is playing afraid. Afraid to make a mistake and it is this very tentativeness that ends up in countless mistakes. It's the old Sean Taylor philosophy (though, he's a bad example this year) If you are going to make a mistake, make going full-speed all out. This year, they're playing like everybody's better than them. Roger's quote about how he's not good enough and no one can keep up with Galloway is the problem. He's lost faith in himself. He's going to have to be rebuilt.

Archived