Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The truth about the 12 yard cushion

IChiefLikeCP26

THe problem is you shorten the field for the Offense by giving those cushions. You just keep running slants, and short outs and before you know it you have gone 60 yards. So while argument how often is Carlos Rogers beat, the real question should be: "how many yards does Rogers give up as an Offense makes its way down the field" Those are high numbers and most of us fans know it.

If Springs does the same thing well he does the same thing, but the numbers are larger against Carlos Rogers and Offensive Coordinators are gunning for him..and most fans know that too.

THe problem is you shorten the field for the Offense by giving those cushions. You just keep running slants, and short outs and before you know it you have gone 60 yards. So while argument how often is Carlos Rogers beat, the real question should be: "how many yards does Rogers give up as an Offense makes its way down the field" Those are high numbers and most of us fans know it.

If Springs does the same thing well he does the same thing, but the numbers are larger against Carlos Rogers and Offensive Coordinators are gunning for him..and most fans know that too.

Exaclty! Every time I watch the defense play it looks like the old Prevent Defense that Gibbs used late in games to force the opposition to use more time getting down the field instead of breaking off the big plays. This allowed them to move the ball but it was much slower, but we're seeing this same stuff now all the way through the game. It seems that all season long we have been simply giving up 4-7 yard plays on first and second down and then we wonder why the other team is always sitting there at 3rd and 1. And, yet even then on those short yardage plays what do we see, but 5-10 yard cushions being given! How does this make sense!?

Carlos Rogers is a f%*ing bum

Just like Archuleta is a F*&cking Bum

I am sick and tired of cottling people....These guys take our money and crap themselves on game day....its time to take the gloves off and call a spade a spade

Thank you laxpck! I totally agree we pay adam all the money for what??? to be 3rd string warming the bench??? too much money givin to these guys. Carlos is terrible i know hes young and whatever but there is no excuse to play like that. I say we just put our receivers out there in the secondary. hell it couldnt hurt.

Archuleta is hurt and doesn't deserve his contract.

Rogers plays his ass off, is not even close to a bum....

What exactly is it that you complainers want to see Rogers do? Interceptions? Is that it? WHAT has Los done to be such a goat to you guys?

No he doesn't. Let's be honest here. It all starts with GW but there is no reason these guys can't jam a reciever like someone else stated earlier on. The only reason they wouldn't be "allowed" to is if they were a liability with their lack of speed. So instead, they give up a 10 yard cushion to make short plays easier for the QB(quick dump offs,etc), blitzes ineffective(same reason), no pressure from the DL(same reason). You can't get pressure on a QB when he only needs 1 second to get rid of the ball. Your DBs need to COVER! Not be looking over their shoulder for help everytime they get beat deep. Oh yeah, did I mention the reason why they play the cushion is to not get beat deep? :doh:

Your DBs need to COVER! Not be looking over their shoulder for help everytime they get beat deep. Oh yeah, did I mention the reason why they play the cushion is to not get beat deep? :doh:

Hey, look do you understand how a Cover 2 works? Why Rogers lets WRs run by him? There is so much miscommunication going on in this defense, it behooves all of us fans to just realize it sucks, and non of us really know why.

Rogers hasn't done nearly as bad this year as people think. He just hasn't. He has also done well in this system before.

Rogers hits hard and is responsible for much more tackling than most CBs in the NFL, and for the most part does well taking down RBs. I don't understand the few times cushion has been used, but you will not convince me that Rogers is slow, I've watched every NFL game he's played in since last year at least 2 times, I've seen him run with some of the best recievers in the NFL, and jump passing routes on guys like TO and Torry Holt again and again.

Did any of you hater's hear the most recent quotes from Rogers? They sure sounded stand up to me, in fact he called out himself, his teammates - AND the coaches.

I'm going to stop posting in Rogers threads now, but I'll be back when he is playing better. (Cue jokes on the last comment now)

There are times when Rogers has been beat and it was all his fault. I see cushions all the time from starting corners. Sometimes they put up a cushion when the corner is going to be on an island with a single back or no safety help.

The one where he was beat for the TD was 33% his fault for letting Galloway on the inside for the slant pattern and the other 33% for the blitzers not getting to Gradkowski, and 34% for Greg Williams for making that highly risky defensive call.

Hey, look do you understand how a Cover 2 works? Why Rogers lets WRs run by him? There is so much miscommunication going on in this defense, it behooves all of us fans to just realize it sucks, and non of us really know why.

Rogers hasn't done nearly as bad this year as people think. He just hasn't. He has also done well in this system before.

Rogers hits hard and is responsible for much more tackling than most CBs in the NFL, and for the most part does well taking down RBs. I don't understand the few times cushion has been used, but you will not convince me that Rogers is slow, I've watched every NFL game he's played in since last year at least 2 times, I've seen him run with some of the best recievers in the NFL, and jump passing routes on guys like TO and Torry Holt again and again.

Did any of you hater's hear the most recent quotes from Rogers? They sure sounded stand up to me, in fact he called out himself, his teammates - AND the coaches.

I'm going to stop posting in Rogers threads now, but I'll be back when he is playing better. (Cue jokes on the last comment now)

Ask 35 year old Joey Galloway how fast 25 year old Carlos Rogers is. :doh: And I'm not a "hater". I said at the beginning of the year, the kid is young, and he is being asked to do too much, he will learn. But have you seen progress? I haven't. That's not me hating. I will give him the excuse that he is left out their on an island alot this year because we can't get pressure. I will say that he needs to jam recievers(AND GW better wake up and see this) because this will allow the blitzes to form, the DL to get pressure,maybe, and therefore prevent a guy like Rogers from being on that island. He's an average CB right now and to call him anything else is a stretch, sorry.

Well all I am trying to say is it would help is GW didn't hang him out to dry. I AM BY NO MEANS SAYING ROGERS IS A SOLID PLAYER!!

I am saying, since we don't have a great cover corner right now, which is "the most important part of a GW defense" than we should change our scheme, not hang some guy who is not competant of what you are asking him.

GW needs to re-vamp this defense, HE called for the cushions on 3rd and short, the coaches call the plays, not the players.

Well all I am trying to say is it would help is GW didn't hang him out to dry. I AM BY NO MEANS SAYING ROGERS IS A SOLID PLAYER!!

I am saying, since we don't have a great cover corner right now, which is "the most important part of a GW defense" than we should change our scheme, not hang some guy who is not competant of what you are asking him.

GW needs to re-vamp this defense, HE called for the cushions on 3rd and short, the coaches call the plays, not the players.

I thought GW likes physical corners? Springs and Rogers are both physical corners. Sorry if im not getting something or if my football knowledge is not that great but why do you have physical corners if your not going to bump the receivers at the line? I know they help stop the run, but other than that I really dont understand this space they leave off the receivers.

this argument is so old. los is not a bum

everyone wants him to jam the reciever, but if you jam the reciever and there is no pressure on the qb (we never pressure the qb) the wr will now have a step on you. los never has safety help on his side, thus if he jams, and there is no safety over the top, he will get burned. he's in a lose lose cus if he doesnt jam they throw the slant. they cant throw the slant to springs side because he is playing zone. thats why he got his int this past sunday.

springs gives cushion, but is always in a zone with safety help on his side. why would a qb throw to a side with zone coverage when he can throw to the side with one on one coverage with no safety help (carlos side).

the middle of the field is usually open too because the lb's are blitzing with no results, so if the wr runs in the middle of the field he is usually wide open because los nor springs has any help from the lb's. therefore you must hope the safeties make the tackle, which for some reason doesnt happen this year.

Archived