Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Randal El summed in with ONE PASS why Brunell should be taken out..

NoCalMike

I gotta agree, Mark played okay today, he wasn't spectacular but he managed the game better, and I think the play calling was much more agressive. I don't think Dallas's D-line had a bead on our plays for very long. However, a win won't quelch the whining until we are back to .500 at the minimum.

Its amazing to me how many Brunell loyalists there our out there when the guy cares about nothing more than his own hide. As he has insinuated through his career in Washington and further evidenced today with his pregame remarks, he is by no means a true Redskin. He doesn't give a damn for the fans or the city of Washington. When you're behind in games in the 4th quarter and continue to throw meaningless dump-offs, thats being selfish...plain and simple. He's more concerned about putting up respectable NUMBERS than putting his neck out on the line for the sake of the team. Notice how he finally ventures some downfield (i.e. "risky") passes when the heat is really going up and Jason is inching closer to the starting spot.

As far as his play today is concerned...yes he did throw some intermediate balls downfield, but his play was still subpar by all standards. There was the bone-head rookie mistake of not jumping on a fumble when he was too clumsy to hold onto the snap in the first place, a severely underthrown deep ball to Lloyd, a Sunday lob in the park to Cooley that nearly got him killed, and a gutless heave into the endzone on a crucial 3rd down when the sticks were 2 yards in front of him.

I realize this rant is likely not to be taken well by others, and rest assured I am ecstatic over today's result, but his pregame comments really pissed me off.

Suspect...

Can't even enjoy a win hours after the game...

:doh:

HTTR

You have to love the wisdom of some of the fans.:cheers:

Give it a rest guys. We won. Mark did fine and played better then probably what people wanted. The only thing I'm even slightly upset about is not being able to punch the ball in from the goal line or the extremely conservative play calling late in the game when we were not in gimme field goal range to take the lead. I'm not going to give either of them too much thought for now and just enjoy that overall, our TEAM (WHICH INCLUDES MARK), played good football and won a tough game.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Hitting a defender's hands does not mean it "should" be intercepted. It "could" be intercepted. If Brunell threw that same pass 20 times, and Cooley and Henry were in the same position those 20 times, Henry comes up with the pick 1 time. Cooley comes up with the catch 10-15 times, and the rest are either drops or passes defensed.

Yea ummm, When the ball is throw directly to a defender, where he has two hands on the ball (the Williams drop and the drop by henry in the endzone) then yea it SHOULD have been picked off...not could have been.

2. Brunell does not have a pager that buzzes him every time a receiver is open. He's gonna throw the ball when he sees the opening. In that play, the pocket had broken down and he was busy trying to buy time. Not to mention he had a defender in his face. Could the ball have been thrown sooner? Yes. Should it have been thrown deeper? Yes. But, most importantly, was the ball that he threw in a position to give Cooley a good chance, despite being on the run and having a lineman in your face? Yes.

No, he gave both Henry and Cooley the same opportunity to get the ball, it was just luck that Cooley ended up with the rock at the end. And even more so, did you see how that ball just floated in the air for like 3 full minutes? Please dont tell me that was a good throw, because it wasnt. (but i am glad it landed in cooleys hands)

3. Plenty of Romo sits to pee's passes hit our defenders in the hands. But, since you are a Brunell-hater, I think you are remembering Brunell's mistakes a lot more clearly than Romo sits to pee's. Romo sits to pee hit Wright in the hands. Springs and Washington also deflected balls with their hands. While I don't agree that all of those "should" be interceptions, the Wright deflection at least "could" have been one. Springs "could" have had an interception on his if he had jumped the route a little earlier.

See the difference is, RW and Henry both had two hands on the ball, and could have caught them if they concentrated. But on the other hand, Springs barely got 1 hand on the ball he swatted away, same with the deflection by wright.

4. So Brunell would be better off without Santana Moss? The Brunell-haters dip to all new lows...

So your telling me you'd rather have the Boonell of two weeks ago where he just stared down Moss every play, rather than a boonell who spreads the ball around (but still sucks anyways)? If Moss were in this game late, Theres no doubt in my mind Boonell would have stared him down and thrown into triple coverage.

Anything else?

See I knew people would misunderstand me because I made this post after a win, but if you saw me in person at a Redskins game and/or at the sportsbar every week, you would know for a FACT, that I am always cheering for the Redskins and every player to do well, it wasn't like I was sitting in the bar with my arms crossed cursing Brunell before he even threw the ball. I simply watch the game, see with my own two eyes what is going on, make an honest observation(s) and keep rooting for the team.

We need to face facts, if Vanderjagt makes the field goal and the Cowboys went on to win, I guarantee the majority of the posters in this thread would be agreeing with me and/or seeing my point of view more clearly. Maybe not agreeing with me 100% but it really shows how a random win, in ANY fashion can cloud the minds when looking at the overall bigger picture of things.

It's like the Ravens of 2000, their QBs were Tony Banks & Trent Dilfer, I seriously doubt that just because they were winning games, the fans could careless about the play of the QBs, I am willing to bet that there were plenty of folks upset about what they saw at the QB position.

My point is, yes we won, and I am celebrating like the rest of you, however just like you look at the positives after a loss, you have to go back and review the game tape of wins and see where the weak plays were coming from, and if you are asking my honest opinion, Brunell was rather weak overall, and he furthered the argument in my mind that he is a QB that can throw short to intermediate accurate passes, but doesn't have the arm to move offenses downfield when behind in the 4th quarter, or any quarter for that matter. Let me repeat, why is it ACCEPTABLE for a QB at the NFL level not to be able to throw deep passes with accuracy? How is that not something every STARTING QB on an NFL roster should be able to do?

Dangit, you've already begun to suck away my post-win bliss. You've had 2 weeks to complain, gripe and moan. I truly believe that you love this team, but your depressive manifestations are preventing you from enjoying the win. There will be plenty of time to complain about what could be better. But right now, what could be better than a Redskins win over the boys???

You're a fan

Your team won against their rivals

It was captured on video

Rejoice

See I knew people would misunderstand me because I made this post after a win, but if you saw me in person at a Redskins game and/or at the sportsbar every week, you would know for a FACT, that I am always cheering for the Redskins and every player to do well, it wasn't like I was sitting in the bar with my arms crossed cursing Brunell before he even threw the ball. I simply watch the game, see with my own two eyes what is going on, make an honest observation(s) and keep rooting for the team.

We need to face facts, if Vanderjagt makes the field goal and the Cowboys went on to win, I guarantee the majority of the posters in this thread would be agreeing with me and/or seeing my point of view more clearly. Maybe not agreeing with me 100% but it really shows how a random win, in ANY fashion can cloud the minds when looking at the overall bigger picture of things.

It's like the Ravens of 2000, their QBs were Tony Banks & Trent Dilfer, I seriously doubt that just because they were winning games, the fans could careless about the play of the QBs, I am willing to bet that there were plenty of folks upset about what they saw at the QB position.

My point is, yes we won, and I am celebrating like the rest of you, however just like you look at the positives after a loss, you have to go back and review the game tape of wins and see where the weak plays were coming from, and if you are asking my honest opinion, Brunell was rather weak overall, and he furthered the argument in my mind that he is a QB that can throw short to intermediate accurate passes, but doesn't have the arm to move offenses downfield when behind in the 4th quarter, or any quarter for that matter. Let me repeat, why is it ACCEPTABLE for a QB at the NFL level not to be able to throw deep passes with accuracy? How is that not something every STARTING QB on an NFL roster should be able to do?

No, you need to face the facts. Brunell is an above-average starting NFL QB. We've been saying it for 2 or 3 weeks now: if the defense steps up, Brunell can win games for us. And what do you know? We see some improvement on defense, and suddenly we catch a W. The unfortunate reality is, no matter how good your QB is, you are not going to win many games with the #29 defense in the NFL.

Call it a "fluke" win. Call it what you want. All I know is that there have been several gripes against the defense this year, and one of them is that they don't come up with turnovers. Well, there you have it. They finally got a turnover, and it ended up with us winning the game.

And you're right, it is definitely unacceptable for a QB at the NFL level to not be able to throw the deep ball.

No, you need to face the facts. Brunell is an above-average starting NFL QB. We've been saying it for 2 or 3 weeks now: if the defense steps up, Brunell can win games for us. And what do you know? We see some improvement on defense, and suddenly we catch a W. The unfortunate reality is, no matter how good your QB is, you are not going to win many games with the #29 defense in the NFL.

Call it a "fluke" win. Call it what you want. All I know is that there have been several gripes against the defense this year, and one of them is that they don't come up with turnovers. Well, there you have it. They finally got a turnover, and it ended up with us winning the game.

And you're right, it is definitely unacceptable for a QB at the NFL level to not be able to throw the deep ball.

peyton manning is above average Mark brunell is average

Well I absoluetly CANNOT STAND the fact that Brunell is still our quarterback because I think he is a huge liability.

With that said. Brunell played a solid game. He didn't win it for them but he did what he had to do. He may even have a had a better game if Cooley made that catch which he should have cause we would have had some major momentum and it woulda given brunell more confidence to throw to the middle.

Brunell did a good job of hitting those intermediate routes which I have been begging for him to throw all year. He did that today and it provided a lot for our team. The biggest play for us this game was BRANDON LLOYD's BLOCK on whoever cornerback was in his face cause without that Portis doesn't get into the endzone. HATS OFF TO B LLOYD!

But lets not be baised here people. Brunell made some extremely poor decisions. He threw that TD pass to cooley way too late giving Henry more than a fair chance of intercepting yet Cooley made the most amazing take away while still maintaining position and staying in bounds. Also, on the most INFURIATING play of the game for me, Brunell decided to run laterally against the line of scrimmage instead of picking up two yards when there was miles of open field ahead of him to take two steps and dive just so he could get the first down. Instead he continues to run laterally and forces a very bad pass forcing lloyd to break up a sure int for the cowhumpers. Yay B lloyd again, he is my mvp for the game. Also the play where he tried to run with the football instead of falling on it.

Other than that Brunell played well. If he plays like this again and the D does just a little more than it did today then I think we have a decent shot at the eagles next sunday.

Also im extremely happy portis got 20+ carries. Too bad it came against the 4th ranked run defense.

Well I absoluetly CANNOT STAND the fact that Brunell is still our quarterback because I think he is a huge liability.

With that said. Brunell played a solid game. He didn't win it for them but he did what he had to do. He may even have a had a better game if Cooley made that catch which he should have cause we would have had some major momentum and it woulda given brunell more confidence to throw to the middle.

Brunell did a good job of hitting those intermediate routes which I have been begging for him to throw all year. He did that today and it provided a lot for our team. The biggest play for us this game was BRANDON LLOYD's BLOCK on whoever cornerback was in his face cause without that Portis doesn't get into the endzone. HATS OFF TO B LLOYD!

But lets not be baised here people. Brunell made some extremely poor decisions. He threw that TD pass to cooley way too late giving Henry more than a fair chance of intercepting yet Cooley made the most amazing take away while still maintaining position and staying in bounds. Also, on the most INFURIATING play of the game for me, Brunell decided to run laterally against the line of scrimmage instead of picking up two yards when there was miles of open field ahead of him to take two steps and dive just so he could get the first down. Instead he continues to run laterally and forces a very bad pass forcing lloyd to break up a sure int for the cowhumpers. Yay B lloyd again, he is my mvp for the game. Also the play where he tried to run with the football instead of falling on it.

Other than that Brunell played well. If he plays like this again and the D does just a little more than it did today then I think we have a decent shot at the eagles next sunday.

Also im extremely happy portis got 20+ carries. Too bad it came against the 4th ranked run defense.

^^^ example of a rational Brunell-hater. These guys are extremely rare. My hat is off to you, although I disagree on a couple of points:

1. That Bloyd block was ****ING AMAAAAAZING. That I agree with.

2. That pass to Cooley was good enough to give Cooley a good chance. Cooley is a tight end. He should win jump balls against cornerbacks. Brunell threw it late because he was buying time, as the pocket had collapsed. He threw it as soon as he could, and he had a defender in his face. Not a great play, but definitely not a bad one. Cooley made a nice catch on a ball that I would expect him to catch 50+% of the time.

3.Trying to "run with" the fumble rather than falling on it. I havent watched the play again, but the impression I got was this: Rabach snapped the ball before Brunell was expecting it. Brunell couldn't react in time to catch it. I don't think it was reasonable to expect him to just be able to fall on a ball like that. The ball bounced off him and got away from him.

4. The Bloyd deflection where Brunell could ahve run for the first down was a bad play. I'll admit that. I guess Brunell must have forgotten it was 3rd down. Bad play.

There was an obvious emphasis on pushing the ball down field today. Probably mandated by Gibbs/Saunders to some degree, after the bye week evaluation. We had some success with it. And looked like a real offense. Posing an actual threat over the middle.

Can Brunell continue to push the ball downfield as the season continues? Its not his "comfort zone", we know this, and I agree they did look like "risk" passes on the part of Brunell.

I don't feel that Brunell can fit the ball into those small windows consistently enough. The defenders will continue to get there hands on the ball and some of those will end up as interceptions if Brunell is mandated to push the ball downfield in the coming weeks.

3.Trying to "run with" the fumble rather than falling on it. I havent watched the play again, but the impression I got was this: Rabach snapped the ball before Brunell was expecting it. Brunell couldn't react in time to catch it. I don't think it was reasonable to expect him to just be able to fall on a ball like that. The ball bounced off him and got away from him.

What he was referring to was after Brunell lost the snap, he got two hands on the ball and could have fell on it but he tried to run with it and lost the ball in the process. :dallasuck

NOCALMIKE--I completely agree you with--I actually posted something very similar in the Brunell Appreciation thread a little while ago. I am as happy as anybody else about the win but come on guys.....Brunell is killing us!!!! Most of his "success" today was luck or play it safe calls where he couldn't screw things up.

Archived