Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What I hope our coaching staff looks like in 2 years...

D'Pablo

Note that I am not calling for anyone's head on our current coaching staff. Gibbs is eventually going to leave, and I'd like for these guys to take over-

Head Coach: Gregg Williams (Say what you will about the defense this year, but this guy is a motivator. He will get the best out of our team. Also, having a current coordinator take over will help a lot in our transition period.)

Offensive Coordinator: Russ Grimm (He'll keep us playing Redskins football, and also get the best out of our O-line.)

QB Coach: Mike Kruczek (He's from DC and the former O-coordinator for the Cardinals. The Cardinals, however, suck, and he got fired. Kruczek is not at fault, though, because the passing game was amazing under his watch.)

OL Coach: Ray Brown (He is a Redskin and will continue the legacy of Buges. Also, in a pinch, he could probably step in and play for injured linemen.)

RB Coach: Earnest Byner (He turned Clinton Portis into a power back. Nuff' said.)

WR Coach: Stan Hixon (This guy has been amazing, although it doesn't show. Our receivers run crisp routes and regularly get open. He turned Moss into a pro-bowler.)

TE Coach: David Johnson (The current TEs coach at Georgia. He has turned out some serious talent at this position: Randy McMichael, Ben Watson, and Leonard Pope. He is also from around this area... His hometown is Pittsburgh, and he went to school at West Virginia.)

Defensive Coordinator: Jerry Gray (It was tough picking between Gray and Blache. I think that Williams's loyalty lies with Gray, and they both believe in the same kind of defense, pressure.)

DL Coach: Cary Godette (He is the sole reason Rutgers is being mentioned with perennial college football powers. Just look at the upset of Louisville. Last year, while he served as the defensive line coach, Rutgers produced the most sacks of any team in the country. The guy has been around the NFL, too, having worked recently with the Panthers and Dolphins. Both teams have incredible defensive line play.)

LB Coach: Dale Lindsey (Throughout his stints in DC, this guy has never had amazing talent to work with outside of Marcus Washington. He has made a bunch of hard-nosed players out of scrubs, though. Antonio Pierce, Chris Clemmons, Derek Smith, and Lamar Marshall come to mind. Elsewhere, we can credit him with developing Brian Urlacher and Junior Seau.)

Safeties Coach: Steve Jackson (He stays because Williams and Gray will want him around.)

CB Coach: Darrell Green (Do I really need to say anything? He basically spent the latter part of his career bringing up Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot. I just hope he wants to join the coaching ranks. Williams should get on all fours and beg him to join us.)

Odd men out-

Greg Blache: His unit has never been able to get consistent pressure. He also probably wouldn't want to stay after being passed over for Gray.

Al Saunders: His play calling sucks. The guy was swimming in talent over in KC and St. Louis, but can't get it done with the scraps we got here. Not a good coach to rebuild with.

being an aussie i dont get to hear much of what goes on behind the scenes exceptthru posts like this one, I totally agree with the appointment of Mr Redskin to the corners coaching position, how could one pass on the best that has been for the last 2o years. thanks for the insight into coaching positions

I'm concerned about Gregg Williams as head coach. Right now, his defense isn't playing very well. Why would you give him a promotion, given that the part of the team he oversees right now is underachieving? And, as Monkart says, will we have a GM in place to assemble this group?

Note that I am not calling for anyone's head on our current coaching staff. Gibbs is eventually going to leave' date=' and I'd like for these guys to take over-

CB Coach: Darrell Green (Do I really need to say anything? He basically spent the latter part of his career bringing up Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot. I just hope he wants to join the coaching ranks. Williams should get on all fours and beg him to join us.)

[/quote']

There's little to base this on, but I don't think Darrell would make a good coach. His on-field experience is unequaled by any CB, but he has no coaching experience and I don't think his demeanor is an asset as far as coaching is concerned. I think Darrell is too nice to be a good coach. Just about every coach I've seen who has been successful has a little bit of "a-hole" in him, and I don't think that's the case with DG. Examples? Bart Starr (HOF QB, terrible coach); Art Shell (HOF OL, terrible coach).

Not a popular thing to say, I realize, but I think it's the truth.

I'm concerned about Gregg Williams as head coach. Right now, his defense isn't playing very well. Why would you give him a promotion, given that the part of the team he oversees right now is underachieving? And, as Monkart says, will we have a GM in place to assemble this group?

I understand what you are saying but, you can't deny what he has done the previous two seasons. From what we know of him he is very intelligent, an awesome communicator, and knows how to get the most out of his players. The thing that i'm confused with is the personell. What i mean is that, with players like AA, A. Carter, and Holdman. Where they brought here under G. William's call? Or is this the scouting department's responsibility? I'm still baffled about that. But, as far as a head coach i think he will be great, we just need a new scouting dept. and an actual GM.

I don't want Williams as HC; he stunk in Buffalo. I think Grimm will either be an HC by then or at least OC in Pittsburgh' date=' if Whisenhunt leaves.[/quote']

Yeah, Billicheck also stunk in Cleveland as HC. Now look at him, he's now a lock for the Hall of Fame. I'm not going by that.

Hire Gregg Williams as HC and he can give DC title to one of the existing defensive coaches. He could have multiple co-DC or assistant DC titles for all I care.

On Offense try to keep Saunders but let him hire whoever he wants for his assistant coaches. The only change he should make is to put a greater emphasis on ball control to help the team as a whole.

Continuity will help.

There's little to base this on, but I don't think Darrell would make a good coach. His on-field experience is unequaled by any CB, but he has no coaching experience and I don't think his demeanor is an asset as far as coaching is concerned. I think Darrell is too nice to be a good coach. Just about every coach I've seen who has been successful has a little bit of "a-hole" in him, and I don't think that's the case with DG. Examples? Bart Starr (HOF QB, terrible coach); Art Shell (HOF OL, terrible coach).

Not a popular thing to say, I realize, but I think it's the truth.

I'll agree with you on Bart Starr, but Art Shell is one hell of a coach. Wherever he coached, the O-line play was great. Not to mention he got a raw deal in Oakland his first time around. The guy deserves our respect. Btw, what do you think of Tony Dungy? He's a nice defensive-minded guy, and I think he is doing alright for himself. In #28's case, we'd only be asking him to train our corners. Like I've already said, he already has a pretty good track record with this (Bailey and Smoot).

As for the guy that was harping on my choice of excluding Blache, I'm not saying he is inept at his job. He will be the odd man out, though. Gray is Williams's hand-picked man. It only makes sense. Also, as good as we are against the run, our D-line sucks against the pass. Instead of having to manufacture pressure, it would be nice to naturally produce it with our front four. Godette has experience in this department. He is a college coach that is not currently bound by overseeing or play-calling responsibilities. Trust me when I say I'd rather have this guy.

i stopped short at gregg williams for head coach ..... his defense this year is proving him to be average or even below average , and check his record as head coach in buffalo ..... not good why would it be any different here? if gibbs cant do it with this lineup we have and even the OC we have , then no way is gregg williams gonan do it

I'll agree with you on Bart Starr' date=' but Art Shell is one hell of a coach. Wherever he coached, the O-line play was great. Not to mention he got a raw deal in Oakland his first time around. The guy deserves our respect. [/quote']

Art Shell was a good OL coach, but he's a joke as a head coach. His record sucks and he looks like he's daydreaming on the sidelins. I've seen Oysters with more personality. Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. Shell gets more credit as a HC than he deserves. Look, if he was such a great coach the first time around, someone else would've hired him and Al Davis would'nt have had to "settle" for him as his coach. He wasn't the 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice. he got it because no one else wanted it or him.

QB Coach: Mike Kruczek (He's from DC and currently the O-coordinator for the Cardinals. The Cardinals' date=' however, suck, and he'll likely get fired along with Dennis Green. Kruczek is not at fault, though, because the passing game has been amazing under his watch.)

.[/quote']

Kruczek was fired in Arizona. He'd be available.

Art Shell was a good OL coach, but he's a joke as a head coach. His record sucks and he looks like he's daydreaming on the sidelins. I've seen Oysters with more personality. Sorry, I have to disagree with you there. Shell gets more credit as a HC than he deserves. Look, if he was such a great coach the first time around, someone else would've hired him and Al Davis would'nt have had to "settle" for him as his coach. He wasn't the 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice. he got it because no one else wanted it or him.

What's your basis for "sucks"? In his first go-around with Raiders he had a 54-38 record. I think the fact that he wasn't hired around the league as a head coach is more an indictment of hiring practices in the NFL, up until recently anyway. Moreover, Shell was the first Black head coach. That says something about his capabilities. It's tough to get a position as the first of anything. My final point is this: We all knew the Raiders would suck this year, but he has them fighting and moving up. They beat a desperate defending Super Bowl champion a week ago.

Archived