Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Campbell Is Patiently Waiting in the Wings

redskinsunshine

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/01/AR2006110103118.html

By Jason La Canfora

Jason Campbell tries not to glance at the game summaries or dwell on the NFL highlights. He tries to avoid the obvious -- that he is the rare quarterback to be drafted in the first round yet never takes a regular season snap, while other young passers are playing regularly around the league. But this week it will be impossible for Campbell to ignore his status.

The Dallas Cowboys, suddenly resurgent behind Tony Romo sits to pee, are coming to town and their approach to the quarterback position and the one Coach Joe Gibbs is taking with Campbell are in stark contrast.

Parcells said of his quarterback change. "You don't like to do things that obviously are going to hurt somebody you like and who had done a good job for you overall, so there was that. But you've gotta do what you've gotta do sometimes, and I just thought maybe we could get a little spark to help our situation a little bit, because it certainly needed help."

Brunell is 14-17 as Washington's starter over three years

Psssst.......it's time!

This is my biggest pet peeve on this message board by a lot.

Dude I love him for what he has done in the past, but enthusiasim starts with the coach. If he got fired up a lil maybe the players would as well. All he does is spout out the same rhetoric every week. If I was on the team and saw Gibbs get pissed in an interview or on the field it would motivate me to do something.

Why do they care right now tough? If they show up to practice and act like they are trying they are working their tails off and fighting their guts out..Gimme a break! I have to look at the pressers and make sure i am watching the right one because of him saying the same stuff over and over. As for Brunell he's done wel, but not well enough. He can't move around in the backfield, he cant make plays on his feet. I honestly believe that Gibbs is delusional if he thinks Brunell will salvage this season. I'm not saying campbell will either, but he could be getting some valuable playing time.

Dude I love him for what he has done in the past, but enthusiasim starts with the coach. If he got fired up a lil maybe the players would as well. All he does is spout out the same rhetoric every week. If I was on the team and saw Gibbs get pissed in an interview or on the field it would motivate me to do something.

Why do they care right now tough? If they show up to practice and act like they are trying they are working their tails off and fighting their guts out..Gimme a break! I have to look at the pressers and make sure i am watching the right one because of him saying the same stuff over and over. As for Brunell he's done wel, but not well enough. He can't move around in the backfield, he cant make plays on his feet. I honestly believe that Gibbs is delusional if he thinks Brunell will salvage this season. I'm not saying campbell will either, but he could be getting some valuable playing time.

I agree. And 4 days off after the way we have played this season, that is rediculous. These guys obviously need some disipline, because the giant contracts they make are not doing it. These are his guys, the ones he picked and traded for. So for Gods sake, light some sort of fire. Please Joe, get pissed about something, PLEASE

Campbell 3rd string? i just don't understand Gibbs logic anymore. If he has some "feelings" for "Mark" ok whatever but you have to at least give your stud QB a chance to get in the game if needed. I am starting to think Gibbs doesn't want to face the criticism if Campbell comes in after his friend "Mark" blows it and leads an impressive comeback.

Gibbs is loyal to his QB we all know that and it was confirmed by Theisman who experienced it.

Gibbs is not going to do anything like Bill Parcell's because they are 2 different types of coaches. Parcell's doesn't care if he hurts peoples feelings because this is the NFL and not Sunday School.

Here is an interesting fact that I found.

Brunell's record from 2001 to present in the games he has started are 28-Wins & 40 - Losses. I never knew this and I have been a Brunel supporter because it really wasn't his fault (or so I thought) but Damn in 6 years you have had a losing record in the NFL.

Yet Campbell's biggest career highlight thus far was the chance to lead the first-team offense for consecutive days in practice during the bye week with Brunell ailing.

"Last year I didn't get anything close to this," Campbell said of the practice time. "This year I got a chance to at least get a couple of days of reps in, and I feel like if my number is called I'm ready. Last week the guys had to get used to me, and this week I can tell it's way better than it was last week. I feel way more comfortable and confident in the plays, and I feel like if I get more reps the sky is the limit."

Ok we are killing this kid. Could it really hurt them to have let him get some reps in with the first team using the Redskins offense? It just makes me sick to my stomach to think how much talent he has and how we gave up so much to get him then don't even let him practice our own offense, letalone actually get in a game. After one week of practicing with the first string he is feeling much more confident and in stride; imagine if he had been switching on and off with Brunell every practice. Some people say "well he isn't used to the system maybe". Um, no ****. Perhaps thats because they don't let him practice it. Sitting on the sidelines watching with a clipboard in your hand isn't going to do nearly as much as actually playing it. It is amazing to me that Gibbs thinks he can learn so much by just watching. Someone please stop the insanity!

:cuss:

Ok we are killing this kid. Could it really hurt them to have let him get some reps in with the first team using the Redskins offense? It just makes me sick to my stomach to think how much talent he has and how we gave up so much to get him then don't even let him practice our own offense, letalone actually get in a game. After one week of practicing with the first string he is feeling much more confident and in stride; imagine if he had been switching on and off with Brunell every practice. Some people say "well he isn't used to the system maybe". Um, no ****. Perhaps thats because they don't let him practice it. Sitting on the sidelines watching with a clipboard in your hand isn't going to do nearly as much as actually playing it. It is amazing to me that Gibbs thinks he can learn so much by just watching. Someone please stop the insanity!

:cuss:

First off you nor I have any idea about how much talent he has. Did you even bother to read the article? Hes getting reps in practice.

The Good thing about this sunday is that we either win or Campbell starts the next Game. With all of Gibbs Loyalty to Brunnel thus Far there is no way in heaven nor hell that hell try sticking with mark if we loose.

Because if we loose to dallas (which i think we wont)....it would have to be because of the QB position.

Our D is almost Back to Full strength and i see them bringing it on sunday.... so its all on Marks shoulder this week.

I see it as a win win situation for skins fans

First off you nor I have any idea about how much talent he has. Did you even bother to read the article? Hes getting reps in practice.

Watching him play at Auburn and watching during the preseason shows me some of the talent he has. Obviously, Gibbs thought the same thing or he wouldn't have given away so much to land him in the draft. Did I bother to read the article? Seeing as how I put in a direct quote from it, yes I did. Did you? Have you been following recent reports? He took snaps for one week while Brunell was sitting out.

Yet Campbell's biggest career highlight thus far was the chance to lead the first-team offense for consecutive days in practice during the bye week with Brunell ailing.

"Last year I didn't get anything close to this," Campbell said of the practice time.

:rolleyes:

Watching him play at Auburn and watching during the preseason shows me some of the talent he has. Obviously, Gibbs thought the same thing or he wouldn't have given away so much to land him in the draft. Did I bother to read the article? Seeing as how I put in a direct quote from it, yes I did. Did you? Have you been following recent reports? He took snaps for one week while Brunell was sitting out.

:rolleyes:

I could care less what he did at Auburn. That doesnt mean a damn thing in the pros. And what did he do in pre season?

we are all patiently waiting for him to take the feild as our new leader.

i wonder how much/$ brunell is making this season. i bet at least 5-10 mil.

and to think we have some of the best playmakers in this league. and we could not get into the postseason because our HC has a woody for a washed up QB.

i want to hear what excuse these MB supporters will come up with next.

the whole super smart thing is totally blown outa proportion.

sbb

I could care less what he did at Auburn. That doesnt mean a damn thing in the pros. And what did he do in pre season?

So you just throw out the fact that you were completely wrong about the taking snaps thing. So be it. Guess who cares what players do or how they handle themselves in college ball. COACHES. How exactly do you think they evaluate talent...have them fill out a form that tells them to rate themselves on how awesome they are? Of course a players stats, etc from college ball don't necessarily translate into an NFL caliber QB but watching what they do, how they handle themselves, and a million other tiny details is how coaches decide who they believe will make it in the pros and who won't. Are they always right? Of course not. There are many intangibles, but it has always been said of Campbell that he has a lot of raw talent and athleticism; it just remains to be seen if he can meet the mental and pressure challenges of the NFL. That moves us right into your second point. In preseason play, while certainly not perfect, Campbell made some beautiful throws, had good pocket presence and poise, and didn't panic (read: Collins, Todd). Given the limited amount of real practice he has had that isn't too bad. This is why I am upset that he doesn't get more time practicing our own offense.

Archived