Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Jansen done?

D'Pablo

I have come to the conclusion that either Jansen is in grotesquely bad shape or his career really is done. Anyone else see that bull rush that made him look like a football sled? I used to love the guy, but when we can't rush worth a damn to the right side of the line, that's on him. He chronically gets beaten in pass rush situations and barely gets any push in the run game. No more defending him.

If it's not Brunell, it's the offensive line. If it's not the offensive line, it's the offensive playbook that Al Saunders brought in... Really, it's probably a mix of all 3 but I do think our offensive line gets beat often. They get beat around the corners by DEs and they get beat by linebackers coming up the middle to blitz.

I wish Redskins fans would take the blinders off and admit that Samuels and Jansen are both overrated players whose best seasons may very well be behind them. Jansen, 30, and Samuels, 29, have both suffered injuries in consecutive seasons which have required offseason surgery. In Samuels' case he has suffered chronic ankle and knee problems. He is not the same player getting off the ball he was 3 or 4 years ago. In fact a case can be made that his best season was 2001, his second in the NFL and his first pro bowl year.

Jansen suffered the achilles injury in 2004 and rehabbed for a year to come back in 2005. Jansen was never the athlete Samuels has been, #76 has gotten by on smarts and straight ahead power. He has always been vulnerable to the edge rushers, despite the fact that early in his career he had a remarkable string of games in which he was able to neutralize Michael Strahan in his prime.

But the law of diminishing returns is working against these two. Both have major mileage on them and a recent history of accumulated injuries.

Some guys are able to play to 35 or 36 and are still effective. Look at Ray Brown, he was still starting in the NFL at age 38 for the Lions and was perhaps their best lineman that year.

Then you see other guys, our own Russ Grimm included, that were done at age 31 due to all the pounding and wars in the trenches over the years.

Jim Lachey, another great lineman, was felled early in his career by injuries and was also done at 31. Here was a player that in 1991 didn't allow a sack in 16 games playing the blind side for Mark Rypien.

bulldog,

I am curious as to what your opinion is of both Dockery and Rabach?

BTW, I 100% agree with what you said about Jansen, but not entirely with regards to Samuels.

I haven't seen enough games to make a judgement on him. But if it is indeed a problem I dont' understand why he's not able to fight back from it. Flozell Adams is playing much better after a slow start coming back from his injury. Getting beat is one thing. Getting beat to give up a big play to the D is another. How's it look there?

Do you realize the Betts has rushed for over 100 yards the last two games? If your OL is bad, that does not happen. They are not great pass blockers, but they are not bad. Teams are blitzing them because they are not afraid of us making any plays down the field, and other teams have been successfull w/ blitzing. Teams will continue to blitz until we make enough plays down the filed to stop them.

I think he is done, but samuels is a great Run-blocker, but nobody in our o-line can learn how to pick up a blitz..

Samuels is our best Lineman. After Randy Thomas nobody else even comes close. As long as the threat of a running game is there Samuels was steamrolling guys left and right. He had a bad game in Dallas and an awful game in Indianapolis but most OTs struggle against Demarcus Ware and Dwight Freeney...

Samuels is our best Lineman. After Randy Thomas nobody else even comes close. As long as the threat of a running game is there Samuels was steamrolling guys left and right. He had a bad game in Dallas and an awful game in Indianapolis but most OTs struggle against Demarcus Ware and Dwight Freeney...

It's funny you should mention Thomas as one of our best lineman... I distinctly remember him getting beaten badly on a stunt. His man stunted right into a barrage of blockers and was effectively taken out of the play. This stunt confused Thomas so much that he just stood still for awhile, making room for a blitzer. I don't think Thomas has played poorly, but he isn't playing up to last year's level.

Jansen, though, is done. I can't say it enough: We can't run to the right side at all! Those of you claiming that our O-line is okay because Betts got 100 yards rushing are delusional. Every rush that gained yards went to the left side, no matter if it was a draw, counter, stretch, etc... Moreover, our pass protection was swiss cheese, blitz or no blitz.

Yeah Jansen has played hurt most of the last two seasons I think. And unlike the hogs of old (see Joe Jacoby) Jansen still isn't as shutdown. This is why I suggested maybe drafting a high quality center for next year so we could rotate our linemen and keep them fresh

Archived