Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Jansen done?

D'Pablo

Maybe we should break his thumbs...

effinayy!!

I've posted things similar on multiple occasions. He was wicked last year, what the hell happened?!?!. Hopefully Carlos catches some of the same game that Jansen had last year...or catches some balls...either of which would be OK.

I've done play-by-play analysis of both the Titans and Colts games. One thing that does stick out is that Jansen is really struggling and is the weakest link on the O-Line. I don't know if he's injured or not, but something is wrong with him.

Samuels isn't too bad considering he was facing Freeney which teams tend to double up on for obvious passing plays. Rabach is also struggling a little. Dockery and Thomas appear to be the strength of our O-line.

The whole o-line looks shaky this season. I hate to say but the one who has improved to me is Derrick Dockery. I think this new offense has played a part in the o-line fall back also.

That being said, I think Jansen still is fine. I'd like to see Brunell out of there 1st.

I've been saying this exact thing. Our O-line stinks. Thomas is the only one I would remotely consider keeping. Our whole offensive problem can be traced to this group. Fix this and I guarantee you would see some serious offensive production....even with Scott Brunell at the helm

I'm also sick of hearing how this O-line's not giving up many sacks. Of course they aren't! Brunell keeps throwing it to the water boy

I've been saying this exact thing. Our O-line stinks. Thomas is the only one I would remotely consider keeping. Our whole offensive problem can be traced to this group. Fix this and I guarantee you would see some serious offensive production....even with Scott Brunell at the helm

I'm also sick of hearing how this O-line's not giving up many sacks. Of course they aren't! Brunell keeps throwing it to the water boy

What's wrong with the way Dockery is playing?

What? A thread on the Oline and no one has blamed Brunell yet? OK, well I will. No question speed rushers are able to get around both our tackles. But can you remember the last time Brunell stepped UP in the pocket to avoid the outside rush? I can't. Brunell looks to go backwards or to his left to escape the pocket, often right into the arms of the speed DEs.

Two other things. If your tackles are getting burned, you give them help. Didn't see much of that against the Colts. Secondly, if the speed guys are getting around the edge, you run the ball inside them until they slow up. I saw that exactly once against the Colts.

Lot of valid points here. It is funny how the whole Oline has fallen off this year. Makes me point to the schemes more than anything. And I never thought about how Brunnnel doesn't step up into the pocket anymore. Good point guys. Keep it up. You have opened my eyes to more things than I realized. Seriously.

I point you to this quote by Bill Parcells: “This is Jansen getting pushed back' date='” he says. “He doesn’t look like the player he was a couple of years ago.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/sports/playmagazine/1029play_parcells.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&ei=5094&en=00292a0d8a8a5745&hp&ex=1162008000&partner=homepage

We've all seen him struggle this season and to tell the truth, he hasn't looked all that good in the past two seasons. Should we be concerned at offensive tackle come draft time and FA?

YES As well as the entire O-line.

Jansen and Samuels, as long time skins and especially samuels a player i was hoping to see stay at top notch level and end up a skins hofer are two that i really like and have alot of respect for. But Jansen has had his share of injuries and lets face it as an offensive lineman not many come back once they get the injury bug. Plus they aren't as young as they used to be. The coaches definitely will check that out. If Joe Bugel sees a problem I'm sure he will look at it, and go with the best of what we got, but that's definitely two guys that i would take a good look at when it comes the offseason and at least get the replacement in the system if even as a backup.

Maybe all this has to do with the scheme, they have only been with this offense for a short time.Last year he had two thumbs in casts but looked comfortable, inturn he played pretty well.I think we are all just looking for some one or position to blame for our losses.I just think the offense needs to have a little more time........and a new QB.

I wish Redskins fans would take the blinders off and admit that Samuels and Jansen are both overrated players whose best seasons may very well be behind them. Jansen, 30, and Samuels, 29, have both suffered injuries in consecutive seasons which have required offseason surgery. In Samuels' case he has suffered chronic ankle and knee problems. He is not the same player getting off the ball he was 3 or 4 years ago. In fact a case can be made that his best season was 2001, his second in the NFL and his first pro bowl year.

Jansen suffered the achilles injury in 2004 and rehabbed for a year to come back in 2005. Jansen was never the athlete Samuels has been, #76 has gotten by on smarts and straight ahead power. He has always been vulnerable to the edge rushers, despite the fact that early in his career he had a remarkable string of games in which he was able to neutralize Michael Strahan in his prime.

But the law of diminishing returns is working against these two. Both have major mileage on them and a recent history of accumulated injuries.

Some guys are able to play to 35 or 36 and are still effective. Look at Ray Brown, he was still starting in the NFL at age 38 for the Lions and was perhaps their best lineman that year.

Then you see other guys, our own Russ Grimm included, that were done at age 31 due to all the pounding and wars in the trenches over the years.

Jim Lachey, another great lineman, was felled early in his career by injuries and was also done at 31. Here was a player that in 1991 didn't allow a sack in 16 games playing the blind side for Mark Rypien.

The fact is this line has only good looked under Bugel when they are max-protecting. And to me, that's on Bugel as much as the players. The first year Buges came back, the team give up only less than sack than they did under Spurrier and Helton -- and Spurrier didn't know the meaning of max-protect and had a qb in Ramsey who held on to the ball forever. Last year was better, but they were still max-protecting on almost every play. This year, with Saunders running a more modern offense and not max-protecting, Buges and his linemen are doing a subpar job.

I wish Redskins fans would take the blinders off and admit that Samuels and Jansen are both overrated players whose best seasons may very well be behind them. Jansen, 30, and Samuels, 29, have both suffered injuries in consecutive seasons which have required offseason surgery. In Samuels' case he has suffered chronic ankle and knee problems. He is not the same player getting off the ball he was 3 or 4 years ago. In fact a case can be made that his best season was 2001, his second in the NFL and his first pro bowl year..

You really don't watch the oline do you. Granted Jansen had some problems in Dallas, and against the giants.... but that's itbetter named OLman are having worse seasons than any Redskin OLman... and Samuels???? rated the most efficent blocker by KC Joyner of all lineman. He maintained succesful blocks 94% of the time last year, and never missed a play, and hasn't stepped any this season.

the Skins has not allowed a sack in 4 games this season, and I believe are currently 8th in fewest sacks allowed with 11 (four teams are tied at 10 allowed) and rank 6th in average YPC at 4.6.. only two other teams are listed in the top tean in both catagories (San Diego & surprisingly Green Bay)

You really don't watch the oline do you. Granted Jansen had some problems in Dallas, and against the giants.... but that's itbetter named OLman are having worse seasons than any Redskin OLman... and Samuels???? rated the most efficent blocker by KC Joyner of all lineman. He maintained succesful blocks 94% of the time last year, and never missed a play, and hasn't stepped any this season.

the Skins has not allowed a sack in 4 games this season, and I believe are currently 8th in fewest sacks allowed with 11 (four teams are tied at 10 allowed) and rank 6th in average YPC at 4.6.. only two other teams are listed in the top tean in both catagories (San Diego & surprisingly Green Bay)

Its hard to sack the QB when the offense is mainly 2 and 3 step drops and then dump the ball off.

That is a very misleading stat.

God, this may be the thread nobody wanted to realize.

Good points...but god damn.

So you have a problem with someone bringing up a valid point about the apparent struggles of one player?

Can't wear the rose colored glasses all the time. Even if the truth hurts you gotta face it and address it the best you can.

Archived