Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Jansen done?

D'Pablo

I point you to this quote by Bill Parcells: “This is Jansen getting pushed back,” he says. “He doesn’t look like the player he was a couple of years ago.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/sports/playmagazine/1029play_parcells.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&ei=5094&en=00292a0d8a8a5745&hp&ex=1162008000&partner=homepage

We've all seen him struggle this season and to tell the truth, he hasn't looked all that good in the past two seasons. Should we be concerned at offensive tackle come draft time and FA?

I know it's been a couple of years ago, but an Achilles rupture is a devastating injury. It's quite possible that he's not as quick as he used to be, and maybe that's why he seems to be getting a lot of false starts.

I love the guy, and I hope I'm wrong.

I hate t admit it but I think he is nearing the end of a great career. I'm a big MICHIGAN fan and have always supported Jansen. He has just had some tough injuries to play through, and his play is diminishing. Not his fault, just part of the woes of getting older and the game. Hope he keeps going...

"Couldn't handle"? What exactly does that mean? That he got beat on every play? Every other play? Once a quarter? Once a game? What does it mean?

You guys realize that the Skins have given up a total of 11 sacks this year and that they rank in the top 1/3 of the league here, right? Freeney is one of the best pass rushers going today, period. Osi is one of the best all around DEs in the game. Ware is covered in hype that is apparently pretty well deserved. These guys are all paid a lot of money to get to the QB. It stands to reason that it will happen from time to time and that it will happen against the Skins.

So how do we count this as a win for them or a win for our guys? If they get one sack a game? No sacks? Where is the line? What if brunell rolls out of the pocket and right into the rusher as I saw happen more than once against the Colts? Samuels had Freeney beat cold everytime I saw that happen. Are we counting that against Samuels? What if Brunell holds the ball too long?

Please. This is not football of 15 years ago when the Hogs only gave up 9 sacks on Ryp all year. Back then the sack was cool thing but it was often not the defenses goal...at least not like it is today. We cannot expect the line to keep Brunell in a clean jeresy all game long now. It takes an real effort of the whole offense to do that and right now the offense is not playing together.

Add to that the fact that we are playing from 2 scores behind by early in the second half and you have a huge issue that cannot be blamed completely on the line.

Sorry, but I just don't see this as the problem you guys do and I think you are being way too hard on Samuels and Jansen. In this league, no T is going to be perfect on every play.

only 15 sacks, but how many pressures, hurries, hits? I don't think sacks are a telling stat of that, as we have seen Brunell become hurried, pressured, and hit after throwiing oftentimes, definitely more than 11 times.

I think Samuels can be alright, he kept sucking last weekend though. Jansen, Im not too sure anymore, the telling signs were when he was apparently getting rocked in training camp. I saw rookie Montgomery rock him on one play, I was weary since then.

I've said it dozens of times, but Jansen has looked poor ever since training camp started. Whether his career started an early decline or there's something else going on, he hasn't played up to his standards.

This team has a lot of work to do in the long run. Our o-line isn't ancient, but they are all "veterans", save Dockery who has some years ahead of him. We don't look like a Super Bowl team at the moment (I'd love for a miracle Joe Gibbs stretch run to prove me wrong), so at some point we're going to have to rebuild the o-line, along with our myriad other holes to fill. Good thing we have a full complement of draft picks... (looks around).

our tackles are fine

we need to play to their strengths, and that's run blocking, not keeping them on an island in pass protection the whole game

when you got an elite speed rusher like Freeney, you give Samuels some TE or RB help

Freeney makes all-pro LTs look silly on a weekly basis

if you want something to worry about, worry about our protection schemes that have even Portis saying he wants to stay in more and block

Jansen hasn't looked nearly as good as he did a couple of years ago. I attribute this to the injury, certainly, but also to having a left-handed QB. In addition, Jansen has always been a very solid run-blocker, and an average or slightly above-average pass blocker. This year, as we have had to play from behind so much, the team has had to rely on passing so much, which is not Jansen's strength.

Again, run the damn ball!

What has gotten my attention even more than just Jon's drop off in play, is the entire Oline's drop off in play at times. Maybe it's the new offense or something, but this is not the same oline that was a strength last year. Imho.

What has gotten my attention even more than just Jon's drop off in play, is the entire Oline's drop off in play at times. Maybe it's the new offense or something, but this is not the same oline that was a strength last year. Imho.

I think we are just not playing to their strengths, PCS. What game have they looked best in? My answer would be the Jags game and we ran between the tackles all game long. Since then we have been trying to run everything to the edge (something Portis is complaining about too, I might add) or we have been playing catch up which means throwing the ball.

This line is built to run between the tackles and to pass block mostly off play-action. Running between the tackles sets up the play action pass so Saunders has not been running the plays that give his people the most chance of success.

I understand not wanting the other team to know what you are going to run on any giving play. I also understand not running the same play twice. However, I think there is a lot to be said for everyone knowing that no matter what formation you are in, Portis is going to get the ball, run between the tackles, pick up 3 to 8 yards and then going out there and do it. How demoralizing to know what is going to be run and then not be able to stop it?

I think Saunders is just a bit too caught up in hiding stuff and changing stuff up. Just go with what works.

iam worried more about chris samuels

Chris Samuels has had 10 times the season that Jansen has, what is it exactly about Samuels that has you worried?

Truth is, Jansen was close to dominant with two broken fingers, and something is very very wrong with him.

Either way though, a less than average Jansen is still a slightly above average RT in the NFL.

Not a big deal, we have Todd Wade on the team too to come in if there is really a problem.

Jansen has been a lousy right tackle since 2002.

I think he should be forced to take a massive paycut this offseason or face a June 1st cut. Then even if he does renegotiate his contract, he's still assured of nothing for next year. He should be made to compete for the starting job with legit competition not some college FA longshot.

Jansen has been allowed to coast on his rep from Michigan and his very strong first 3 years in the league way too long by the media and some fans.

Look at the obvious--Al Saunders offenses is very similar to Steve Superior's in the way the qb is protected in passing situations. How often does Saunders leave a te or a back to help the tackleswith backside protection? It's a miracle there haven't been more sacks this year. Saunders floods the field with receivers leaving no one to protect-if you don't get the pass off with a 3 step drop look out.

That said, Jansen has not performed up to anyone's standards this year.

I think we are just not playing to their strengths, PCS. What game have they looked best in? My answer would be the Jags game and we ran between the tackles all game long. .

BS.... go look at the tape. We ran lots of plays sweeping to one side or the other. After a few quarters of doing this the interior lineman of the jags were tired and then we started running up the gut.

Its partly because of this new offensive system, all of our guys have struggled at times except for Thomas. I saw during the preseason that they have 35 different calls during a game, and Casey makes the calls at the line if scrimmage. Thats 35 different things that could be expected of you on any given play, its makes it tough. Not using the preseason to work on these type things has killed our season literally. Not putting all the blame on the offense either, the defense is horrid and they have no excuse, same defense for 3 straight years.

Archived