Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quarterback Controversy

Robbnva

OK can we please stop all of the Mark Brunell/Jason Campbell talk.

OK According to NFL Outsiders Mark Brunell is rated #10 out of all current QB's in the NFL. and as long as he is not making stupid plays (which he hasn't) and we still have a chance at the playoffs (which we do) then Gibbs is not going to take Brunell out of the game. We have O-Line problems, Defensive Problems, and kicking problems. He needs to deal with those 1st.

For all of those people who are begging for Jason to come in. check out these posts from the Dallas Cowboys Board before Romo sits to pee came in and now after he is given the go-ahead for the redskins game

These comments wer before Romo sits to pee came in.

<<if we are going to suck this bad at the qb position; then we might as well get going with the Romo sits to pee project.......at least we wouldn't feel this bad when we lost!

i don't believe that bledsoe gives us the best chance to win, anymore......but this offensive play-calling is atrocious........>>

<<Parcels needs to go and take his roomie bledsoe with him. Jerry, give us a head coach that understands that the quarterback position is the most important position on the team for a reason!!! A head coach that lives in the future not in past. A head coach that will go out and get a good young quarterback and put this team back to what it was in the Aikman days>>

These comments are after he was named the starter for the Redskins.

<<Well, I guess Bill P is calling it a season. He clearly believes this team is not good enough to beat good teams and wants to see what else he has. Whats next>>

<<Did you guys see enough from Romo sits to pee for him to continue as a starter? I didn't. After a 3-2 start, now 3-3 for use the Cowboys to put the ball in a unproven QB-equals giving up the season. >>

SO NOW the comments before Romo sits to pee came in are very similar to what I see on this board - Especially with the plea to the owner to come in and make a change and seee what happens when they got what they wanted. They changed their minds.

STOP BLAMING BRUNELL FOR THINGS THAT ARE NOT HIS FAULT!!

Do I want to see Jason Campbell come in and play? ABSOLUTELY but as long as we have a chance to win the season I trust the Veteran.

3-13-WAS28(13:37) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass short right to C.Portis to WAS 39 for 11 yards (N.Harper, J.David).

Brunell is pressured and dumps it off to Portis who gains yardage on his evasiveness alone but doesn’t convert

3-7-IND43(2:45) M.Brunell pass incomplete to A.Randle El (M.Jackson) [M.Jackson].

Brunell could have taken the hit and gotten the ball off to Cooley for an 8 yard gain

Two receivers on the non-blitzing side (also Brunell’s blind side) were open

3-8-IND9(4:16) M.Brunell sacked at IND 15 for -6 yards. FUMBLES, and recovers at IND 16. M.Brunell to IND 16 for no gain (R.Mathis).

3-8-WAS48(10:50) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass short left to L.Betts to IND 49 for 3 yards (C.June).

3-7-WAS19(6:39) M.Brunell pass short right to L.Betts to WAS 21 for 2 yards (N.Harper) [R.Mathis].

CB Harper peaks into back field and abandons his covered receiver correctly guessing that Brunell would throw to Betts

3-8-IND49(14:23) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass short right to M.Sellers to IND 45 for 4 yards (C.June).

Plays like these are why there is a qb controversy. Please, if you are going to pull up stats, use ones that matter. Being #10 does not help when your team is 2-5.

(All stats and analysis from SC3. All credit goes to him, not me. His post can be seen here:http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177335)

Doesn't really matter what his ranking or rating is - we're 2-5.

That said, we need a winning streak the likes of which we had last year, and Mark was at the helm for that. I'd leave him in for the Dallas game (I'm not ready to give up on the season with 5 losses), but should we lose that one (I give up at 6) throw in Jason to finish out the season.

There... that's all settled.

So the Cowboys are now the benchmark for starting young QBs?

What about the Giants?

What about the Bengals?

What about the Steelers?

What about the Chargers?

What about the Bears?

What about the Patriots?

We're at 2-5, face it, the playoffs are a pipe dream, and even if we DO make the playoffs, how far do you think we'll advance? Is one last, desperate shot at making the playoffs really worth going through an offseason of complete chaos and guesswork as to how Cambell will do in an actual NFL game??? You think it's nuts now, just wait and see if we go on a streak and remain just good enough to make the playoffs until we're eliminated from them in week 17. What then? This season will have been a complete mess and we will have gained absolutely NOTHING.

3-13-WAS28(13:37) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass short right to C.Portis to WAS 39 for 11 yards (N.Harper, J.David).

Brunell is pressured and dumps it off to Portis who gains yardage on his evasiveness alone but doesn’t convert

3-7-IND43(2:45) M.Brunell pass incomplete to A.Randle El (M.Jackson) [M.Jackson].

Brunell could have taken the hit and gotten the ball off to Cooley for an 8 yard gain

3-8-IND9(4:16) M.Brunell sacked at IND 15 for -6 yards. FUMBLES, and recovers at IND 16. M.Brunell to IND 16 for no gain (R.Mathis).

3-8-WAS48(10:50) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass short left to L.Betts to IND 49 for 3 yards (C.June).

3-7-WAS19(6:39) M.Brunell pass short right to L.Betts to WAS 21 for 2 yards (N.Harper) [R.Mathis].

CB Harper peaks into back field and abandons his covered receiver correctly guessing that Brunell would throw to Betts

3-8-IND49(14:23) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass short right to M.Sellers to IND 45 for 4 yards (C.June).

Plays like these are why there is a qb controversy. Please, if you are going to pull up stats, use ones that matter. Being #10 does not help when your team is 2-5.

(All stats and analysis from SC3. All credit goes to him, not me. His post can be seen here:http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177335)

:applause: Great stats. This is what I get so pissed about with Boonell. I know he doesn't make alot of mistakes. I know he has a good QB rating. I know he has a good completion percentage. But when you constantly throw 4 yard dumpoffs on 3rd and long, you don't give your team a chance to win. You should use these stats as your sig.

OK According to NFL Outsiders Mark Brunell is rated #10 out of all current QB's in the NFL. and as long as he is not making stupid plays (which he hasn't) and we still have a chance at the playoffs (which we do) then Gibbs is not going to take Brunell out of the game. We have O-Line problems, Defensive Problems, and kicking problems. He needs to deal with those 1st.

For all of those people who are begging for Jason to come in. check out these posts from the Dallas Cowboys Board before Romo sits to pee came in and now after he is given the go-ahead for the redskins game

These comments wer before Romo sits to pee came in.

<< if we are going to suck this bad at the qb position; then we might as well get going with the Romo sits to pee project.......at least we wouldn't feel this bad when we lost!

i don't believe that bledsoe gives us the best chance to win, anymore......but this offensive play-calling is atrocious........>>

<< Parcels needs to go and take his roomie Bledsoe with him. Jerry, give us a head coach that understands that the quarterback position is the most important position on the team for a reason!!! A head coach that lives in the future not in past. A head coach that will go out and get a good young quarterback and put this team back to what it was in the Aikman days>>

These comments are after he was named the starter for the Redskins.

<< Well, I guess Bill P is calling it a season. He clearly believes this team is not good enough to beat good teams and wants to see what else he has. Whats next>>

<< Did you guys see enough from Romo sits to pee for him to continue as a starter? I didn't. After a 3-2 start, now 3-3 for use the Cowboys to put the ball in a unproven QB-equals giving up the season. >>

SO NOW the comments before Romo sits to pee came in are very similar to what I see on this board - Especially with the plea to the owner to come in and make a change and seee what happens when they got what they wanted. They changed their minds.

STOP BLAMING BRUNELL FOR THINGS THAT ARE NOT HIS FAULT!!

Do I want to see Jason Campbell come in and play? ABSOLUTELY but as long as we have a chance to win the season I trust the Veteran.

:doh: This is where you, Sir, are WRONG!!! Let the following QUOTE from former REDSKIN SuperBowl-WINNING QB Joe Theismann TOTALLY SHRED Your 'Homeristic / Brunell-istic' analogy:

:doh: While quarterback Mark Brunell's numbers are decent enough -- 64.1 completion percentage, seven touchdowns, three interceptions, passer rating of 90.4 -- he has been blamed for the Redskins' sometimes stagnant offense under 2006 coaching addition Al Saunders. Gibbs said Monday he wasn't contemplating any drastic personnel changes, which means Brunell, 36 years old and in his 14th season, won't be benched in favor of Campbell.

:mad: "Joe Gibbs is very, very loyal to aging quarterbacks," Theismann said. "I was a beneficiary of that loyalty. In 1985, I was playing really badly, and he had every right to pull me. But he didn't. They're having problems integrating a new philosophy, and with Mark at quarterback, it's been difficult."

:cheers: And... Jason Cambell is VASTLY SUPERIOR as an NFL QB than Tony 'Homo', 'er, Romo sits to pee. Please...

Well considering this was Romo sits to pee's first game we will see what the Dallas fans say. As for that,

His stats were very good considering his team was behind when he came into the game...16 of 27, 3td/3int (one of the INT's was a tipped ball by his own player, and the other two were based on inexperience) and his QB rating was 89.4, oh yeah he had 262 yards and four passes of over 20 yards!!!!! All this in 2 quarters...

Did I mention, Campbell is BETTER than Romo sits to pee!!! Enough said. and good post JWB

When will the Brunell Lovers and Apologists get it through their thick heads that we don't care about his stats or mediocre performance, or the fact that the team's record isn't entirely his fault. The D sucks, yes, we know, and that's fine. The bottom line is that this team isn't going anywhere WITH or WITHOUT Brunell, so we might as well get Campbell a TON of EXPERIENCE if we're going to end up with the same record anyway. At least that will help next year. Playing Brunell now does not help next year.

The season IS over. We just went 2-5 over the easiest part of our schedual. Our D is not goint to keep us in close games like it has the last 2 years. Need to look forward to next year.

Honestly, do you really think we are going to win out against:

11/5vs. cowboys.gifCowboys1pm ET FOX 11/12@ eagles.gifEagles1pm ET FOX 11/19@ buccaneers.gifBuccaneers1pm ET FOX 11/26vs. panthers.gifPanthers1pm ET FOX 12/3vs. falcons.gifFalcons1pm ET FOX 12/10vs. eagles.gifEagles1pm ET FOX 12/17@ SAIMARKC2222.jpgSaints1pm ET FOX 12/24@ rams.gifRams1pm ET FOX 12/30vs. giants.gifGiants8pm ET

We might beat Tampa. MIGHT. But it's in Tampa, so I really doubt it. We probably lose to Dallas after the bye. The Panthers, Falcons, Saints, Eagles, Rams and Giants might all be going to the playoffs. We need to go 9-1 to have a realistic chance to make the playoffs. How realistic is that? Think last years run was nice, we need to DOUBLE it to go. This ship is sunk. Lets see what we have, and what we dont.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

When you have open receivers, but choose to dump the ball off well short of the first down, that qualifies as a mistake. Missing open receivers is a mistake. Afraid to take shots down the field is a mistake. The very least that MB could do is to give the receivers (other than Moss and the check down) a chance to make a play on the ball.

:doh: This is where you, Sir, are WRONG!!! Let the following QUOTE from former REDSKIN SuperBowl-WINNING QB Joe Theismann TOTALLY SHRED Your 'Homeristic / Brunell-istic' analogy:

:doh: While quarterback Mark Brunell's numbers are decent enough -- 64.1 completion percentage, seven touchdowns, three interceptions, passer rating of 90.4 -- he has been blamed for the Redskins' sometimes stagnant offense under 2006 coaching addition Al Saunders. Gibbs said Monday he wasn't contemplating any drastic personnel changes, which means Brunell, 36 years old and in his 14th season, won't be benched in favor of Campbell.

:mad: "Joe Gibbs is very, very loyal to aging quarterbacks," Theismann said. "I was a beneficiary of that loyalty. In 1985, I was playing really badly, and he had every right to pull me. But he didn't. They're having problems integrating a new philosophy, and with Mark at quarterback, it's been difficult."

:cheers: And... Jason Cambell is VASTLY SUPERIOR as an NFL QB than Tony 'Homo', 'er, Romo sits to pee. Please...

We have no idea how Camobell will look as an nfd qb.

The difference between you and I is that I realize the season is over. If the season is over, there is no reason to have brunell in there. I don't blame him, but he better not be starting going into next season after we go 5-11 this season

That is the difference, I am a true fan who no matter what is optimistic our team can turn it around. You are a Homer fan who once the going gets abandon the team. We started out poorly last year and made it to the playoffs and I think that we can do it again. If the redskins loose 2 more games then you can say the season is over. Many teams make it into the playoffs with an 11-5 record and most even make it with 10-6. Especially with the NFC east it will be a tight race for 1st. The way that the rest of the league is playing a wild card spot could potentially go to a 9-7 team (although highly unlikely).

Have Hope

:dallasuck

Start a thread to tell us to stop making threads on a subject.....

Word of the day is OXYMORON.

:rotflmao:

Lets be honest here...most of those throws could be made by a decent high school QB. It isn't hard to throw a 2 yard screen pass to someone wide open on 3rd and long. So yes his comp % is good as is his QB rating, but so what? He isn't producing and he isn't utilizing all of the weapons we have on offense. He isn't a downfield threat and other teams know it. And yes he does make mistakes...like missing wide open receivers downfield and instead throwing to a quadruple covered Moss when there was still plenty of time to get into FG range. Not exactly "super smart" play there.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think our playoff aspirations this year are pretty much done...seeing as how we are going into the harder part of our schedule and are 2-5. Put the kid in and see what he can do. Is he going to be a Super Bowl QB his first game? Of course not, but he will be getting the experience necessary to lead the team next year.

Unless Brunell starts again next year. :doh:

Would you expect any DIFFERENT comments than the ones you posted - here or on the Cowboys board? Those are football fans my friend. They won't ever change.

You might want to forward those comments to Gibbs just in case he was thinking of starting Campbell. That will surely change his mind. :doh:

That is the difference, I am a true fan who no matter what is optimistic our team can turn it around. You are a Homer fan who once the going gets abandon the team. We started out poorly last year and made it to the playoffs and I think that we can do it again. If the redskins loose 2 more games then you can say the season is over. Many teams make it into the playoffs with an 11-5 record and most even make it with 10-6. Especially with the NFC east it will be a tight race for 1st. The way that the rest of the league is playing a wild card spot could potentially go to a 9-7 team (although highly unlikely).

Have Hope

:dallasuck

haha... i'm not turning my back on anyone. i think that's pretty ridiculous to assume that i've turned my back on the team b/c i dont think they'll make the playoffs. i'm just being honest.

Oh, and at the age of 27 now, i've had season tickets for three years in my own name, and i can't afford them. I go to every game at 4 hours before kickoff and wait to get into the parking lot. there is nothing fair weather about me b/c i'm saying that we arent going to the playoffs.

finally, it doesnt matter how many more games we "loose" or even how many more we "whine" we are not going to make the playoffs this year b/c realistically we arent going to WIN more games than we LOSE.

haha... i'm not turning my back on anyone. i think that's pretty ridiculous to assume that i've turned my back on the team b/c i dont think they'll make the playoffs. i'm just being honest.

Oh, and at the age of 27 now, i've had season tickets for three years in my own name, and i can't afford them. I go to every game at 4 hours before kickoff and wait to get into the parking lot. there is nothing fair weather about me b/c i'm saying that we arent going to the playoffs.

finally, it doesnt matter how many more games we "loose" or even how many more we "whine" we are not going to make the playoffs this year b/c realistically we arent going to WIN more games than we LOSE.

Being a Season ticket holder has no bearing on how big of a fan you are. I am also a ticket holder, at the games 4 hours before, and all that just like you. I know people who have redskins season tickets who are Steeler fans and Packer fans just because they love football. How can you say there is no way we aren't going to win more games than we lose? Can you predict the future?

Any given game anything can happen and the redskins can run the table on the rest of the season if they tried hard enough and had enough heart.

I could give a **** about what dallas fans feel ... we need to make a change JC is not Romo sits to pee.

Nobody knows what JC is until he plays. A lot of people have given up on the team and say the playoffs chances are gone, but Gibbs doesn't believe that. In all of his years as a coach I am sure he has seen things that were improbable and as a coach if you give up on your team they will give up on you. I can't wait to see Jason Campbell play and part of me wants to see a change now just like the rest of the people on here, but I respect what Gibbs is doing and I support him and the team.

Archived