Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there a fundamental reason why our defense is struggling?

Skins Addict

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It's simple. Talent.

With Griff out and big Joe hurting, our defensive line is mediocre at best.

With Rogers out and Springs working himself into shape, our secondary is Sean Taylor and a bunch of guys who are borderline NFL players. Adam Archuleta is simply terrible.

Williams has been able to hide a lack of talent for two years but the talent is now just too thin at every position.

Losing Clark in the off-season didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but in retrospect, it was probably the "tipping point." We got just a little bit worse in talent, but the talent gap is now too much to overcome with schemes.

I said roughly in this order: injuries, poor tackling, big yardage, Vinny, and this poll is stupid.

I think the biggest issue is that we have big injuries not just to starters but also to the more capable backups. We also let go a few good players who might have stepped up to fill in. All of the other failings we have tie into these two issues. We did try to address depth in the draft, making some decent acquisitions but no one could have predicted the cornerback situation.

I thought we looked pretty good at run-stopping yesterday before we became resigned to losing in the third quarter. We also managed to get some nice pass rushing although that only ended up pissing off Manning and totally backfired in the second half.

It's simple. Talent.

With Griff out and big Joe hurting, our defensive line is mediocre at best.

With Rogers out and Springs working himself into shape, our secondary is Sean Taylor and a bunch of guys who are borderline NFL players. Adam Archuleta is simply terrible.

Stole what I was thinking!!!Lack of talent at corner man do we need some help in the secondary.Plus we need to take a long look at our front line can't generate a breeze much less a sack!!!!

Some of these replies are funny. LOL

Anyways... so far the #1 reason is "Poor tackling".

It appears that the Redskins organization has gone full circle in terms of tackling ability. If I remember correctly, the Spurrier teams couldn't tackle worth a ****. I vaguely remember the D constantly getting torched by the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys, often due to mistackles. Then in 2004, when GW took over, the tackling was near perfect and our D was the best I'd ever seen. Then last year, the tackling wasn't perfect, but the D was still pretty damn good. But this year, starting in pre-season, every game has players just bouncing off our defenders and tons of wiffs. It reminds me of the pre-GW days.

In 2004 and 2005, you knew what you'd get from the D - They would play solid, and all the pressure was on the offense. Being a Skins fan, I took pride knowing that our defense was top notch and would keep us in every game. But this year, there is nothing to be proud of.

Archived