Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's The Size of the Dog In the Fight

bulldog

there may be some fight in this dog, but it is a small dog and it tires out fast.

that's the 2006 Washington Redskins.

the Redskins are 2-5 and have failed to answer the bell in the second half of their games this season save the JAX contest:

1. Leading Minnesota 13-6 at halftime lost - 19-16

2. Leading Tennessee 14-13 at halftime lost - 25-22

3. Close game to Giants 6-3 at halftime - lost 19-3

4. Leading Indy 14-13 at halftime - lost 36-22

So, the half time adjustments are not being made.

Who is at fault? Should Gibbs be handling the adjustment? Should Saunders?

What about our secondary coach?

I want to see so many changes.......I am not sure one or two will help.

Then, if they make wholesale changes........will we have to start all over? Can the season be saved?

Blondie

Interesting stat, but it doesn't tell us anything.

Tells us a lot, and blondie nailed it.

We're not a 2nd half team.

We don't make adjustments at the half. We let the other team dictate how the flow of the game will be and we react to that.

It's nice to say you lead at the half, but thats typically mentioned when you blow it in the 2nd. And teams that aren't 2nd half teams usually aren't playoff teams.

That is pretty telling (even if a couple of the scores are incorrect...the idea is valid).

We have NOT been a second-half team in Gibbs' second tenure. Even last year during our 6-game run, we jumped out on teams and held on with exceptions being the Arizona and Philly.

For some reason, Joe's magically halftime adjustments have not been here during his second run with this team.

That is pretty telling (even if a couple of the scores are incorrect...the idea is valid).

We have NOT been a second-half team in Gibbs' second tenure. Even last year during our 6-game run, we jumped out on teams and held on with exceptions being the Arizona and Philly.

For some reason, Joe's magically halftime adjustments have not been here during his second run with this team.

OK.........the question I have to ask is this: Is Gibbs making the adjustments or is it Saunders?

Blondie

Then, if they make wholesale changes........will we have to start all over? Can the season be saved?

Blondie

Blondie---------------The season can be saved.............

hierarchy

is the word,

critical pedagogy

is the result

We don't make adjustments at the half. We let the other team dictate how the flow of the game will be and we react to that.

It's nice to say you lead at the half, but thats typically mentioned when you blow it in the 2nd. And teams that aren't 2nd half teams usually aren't playoff teams.

You're confusing cause and effect.

Prior to this season Gibbs was 111-16 (Reg Season and Post Season) when leading at halftime.

This season he's 1-3.

His worst record prior to this season was in 1988 when he was 3-2.

Times they are a changing. :(

The "H" word would apply here; Gibbs is the GM Coach, Sauders has the 700 page play book.

Blondie

Well, Blondie, there's certainly a lot to take in about these Redskins. My guess is that it's not yet time to make wholesale changes. We'll come back from the bye week healthier, because the Eagles and either Pukes/Giants lose--we don't slip in the division (especially since we already occupy the bottom), and we have an extra week to get in tune.

The players and coaches still believe...no one is laying down.

And then we get the Pukes @ home!!

I trust that Gibbs will dig into the issue we're having and make some critical adjustments. Hope is not lost yet for 2006, atleast not for me.

there may be some fight in this dog, but it is a small dog and it tires out fast.

that's the 2006 Washington Redskins.

the Redskins are 2-5 and have failed to answer the bell in the second half of their games this season save the JAX contest:

1. Leading Minnesota 13-6 at halftime lost - 19-16

2. Leading Tennessee 14-13 at halftime lost - 25-22

3. Close game to Giants 6-3 at halftime - lost 19-3

4. Leading Indy 14-13 at halftime - lost 36-22

I agree with you, but I think today's halftime lead was a mirage. The offense only scored a TD because ARE gave them great field position and they got bailed out by a huge defensive penalty. They needed those gifts -- the offense never did anything else all day. The garbage-time TD doesn't count for anything except fantasy football points.

The Skins were thoroughly outclassed today. It was not a real contest. Once the Colts decided they wanted to play some football, they quickly and easily dismantled the Skins. It frankly didn't look like they broke a sweat in the second half while they ran circles around the Skins.

OK.........the question I have to ask is this: Is Gibbs making the adjustments or is it Saunders?

Blondie

I honestly don't know. However, halftime adjustments don't have to be specific playcalls. They can be ideals or philosophies which would fall on Gibbs. If he noticed something to attack during the first half, he should be able to tell Al at halftime.

Also, even in 2004 and 2005, we tended to fizzle more often than not in the second half. Just some I can remember off the top of my head:

Oakland (2005)

San Diego (2005)

Cleveland (2004)

Baltimore (2004)

Dallas (2004)

Those were all games where we led at halftime or later and we lost...there are also some games where we really lost momentum only to cling to a W:

Tampa Bay (2004)

Tampa Bay (playoffs 2005)

Seattle (2005)

Basically, I don't remember so many close calls/losses by Gibbs teams when they've had control of the game at the half or later...

I think we just have all the wrong players on our team now. It doesn't help that most of our expectations were pretty high after what we did last year.

We should have just stuck with Ryan Clark, signed some depth at CB, and called it a day for the defense.

Offense wise, I think we have too many play-makers and not enough role players. Trying to feed the ball to 5 guys is too complicated right now, especially considering Brunell doesn't see down the field.

Regardless, you can chalk this year up as a rebuild into nothing because we made big mistakes in free agency.

TD that's because he ain't what he used to be. It's really that simple.

It pains me to think that...but the evidence is starting to make it tough for me to continue giving the benefit of the doubt!!

I want so badly for Gibbs to pull us out of this...but more than anything, I just want the Skins to find a way out of it at any cost!

Afterall, I'm a Gibbs fan because of the Skins, not the other way around. But I'm not happy about the possibility that Gibbs might not be able to do it. :mad:

Blondie

Tough question without really knowing exactly how these 2 work together. We do know that Al calls all the plays and Joe makes the close calls and all that. But is part of the deal with Al include autonomy in running the offense? Does Joe let Al know what he thinks may work and Al has the ability to overule based on that? Or does Joe tell Al what he thinks will work and Al tries it? Hard to say. My guess, is that no matter what, Coach Gibbs may take a bit more of a lead in things after the bye.

Gibbs has little or nothing to do with failure to convert 3rd downs and sloppy defense. That falls on our two "associate head coaches" but moreso on the players themselves. Playcalling only goes so far.

The only area where I see Gibbs underperforming is in his specialty, finding character players and motivating them. We have great momentum in the first quarter and near the end of the fourth in most of our games, we need to figure out how to maintain it all game consistently like we did vs Jax.

Maybe we should bring some of the special-teamers into the rest of the game, they have been our one solid all season.

It doesnt appear that we are doing anything at halftime. However, it seems to me our opponents have made adjustments on offense and defense.

I agree. It looks like we simply just try to "ride it out" in the second half instead of identifying what was working and what else might work given how the opponent played the first half.

Back in the day, you could almost always count on a stop (defense) or points (offense) during the first possession of the second half.

can someone tell me who JROCK is??? is ti TJ???

Blondie

I just want to see Gibbs call the plays again. I feel the players believed in him last year, but all of that is gone this year.

Gibbs probably doesn't think he should do it what with Al's reputation.

Archived