Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post-game thread: Skins at Colts

Art

If I recall correctly, Gibbs stuck with Mark Ripien for a long time eventhough he was playing poorly in his final year. I remember the same cries to bench him when he fumbled away games, but Gibbs stuck firm. That year ended in the playoffs when he botched a handoff against TB. A game that looked like we were going to win, if I remember correctly. He has always been reluctant to change his QB in midstream and therefore, I don't believe he will do it. (barring injury) Right now the defense has given up and I think it is because they know that they have no offesive support. Put in Campbell and it will spark the whole team. We unfortunately won't see this until next year.:helmet: :2cents:

If I recall correctly, Gibbs stuck with Mark Ripien for a long time eventhough he was playing poorly in his final year. I remember the same cries to bench him when he fumbled away games, but Gibbs stuck firm. That year ended in the playoffs when he botched a handoff against TB. A game that looked like we were going to win, if I remember correctly. He has always been reluctant to change his QB in midstream and therefore, I don't believe he will do it. (barring injury) Right now the defense has given up and I think it is because they know that they have no offesive support. Put in Campbell and it will spark the whole team. We unfortunately won't see this until next year.:helmet: :2cents:

Gibbs finished coaching in 1992. We didn't play Tampa in the playoffs until 1999 when Norv was the coach.

No way Gibbs benches Rypien in 92 after the year he had in 91.

When was the last time the defense forced a turnover?

Its one thing to be swiss cheese out there against Manning, its completely something else to have not forced a turnover in at least three games. The last turnover I can remember was Jacksonville, and that was on a muffed punt when the guy was actually down.

Seriously, when was the last time?

The defense is too busy chasing guys down from behind to knock the snot out of anybody and get a loose ball. There haven't even been any fumbles and the DB's are never even close to make an Int even though Springs could have had one tonight if he hadn't been clowned.

Maybe it was SF in 92. The hole was huge and all you saw was Mark putting the ball on the Byners hip. If you remember that season Mark stunk the place up and it was our defense that kept us going. I agree he was great in 91 but the following season he was a different player. We were 9-7 that year and could have easily missed the playoffs. My point is that Gibbs sticks with his QBs. Theismann was the same way. If you saw him, he got happy feet and felt the rush everywhere and hurried throws. If not for his injury he probably would have had a very bad year ( I am only speculating). I hope he reconsiders but I remember the first time around with Gibbs and the one thing I do remember, besides the glory, was that he stayed the coarse. This made him both great, but on some days, not so great. :2cents:

2-14 That sounds about right. But hey if we play the Browns the rest of the season. We should be able to win atleast one game... Oh wait we lost to a 0-5 team..

I think all the changes and additions in the off season was too much for our players.

Here's to next year and Brunell's retirement party..

Here is the place to cry away the tears, or, well, cheer about our win. For the record, there's no way we lose this game. We're banged up and can't quite find ourselves, this is all true. Brunell suffers when his feet or legs hurt, this is all true. But, none of it matters. Just like I had a feel for the Norv Turner years, this team has developed a feel. It always responds in games like this, when it has sucked it up, people are writing it off and suddenly, the rise up and bite ya.

I'd put money on it and you can tell me how much I'd have won after the game when someone opens this up for chatter.

Be glad I saw this after we went to St. Elmo's. :)

I actually thought during the first half that we had a fightin chance...but oh well...that went right out of the window shortly into the 2nd half...I hate that we lost...but I will never give up on the Skins...I will enjoy the rest of the football season...I love this game!...I love it more when we win tho..lol...Anyhoo...thank God for the bye..I need the rest...and...

:cry:

Don't you wish that Gibbs had 1/10 the emotion after that loss that Denny Green after the loss to the Bears?

I think that we will make it back to the super bowl very soon but this just isn't our year. I'd be more positive to see this as a rebuilding year than a continuation of a flawed system.

If I were the coach, I would take the remainder of the season to see what I truly had to work with...kinda like an early preseason. That way, when the offseason rolled around, I would know what moves we needed to make.

I think that if things didn't change soon for this team, for better or worse, this team will tear itself apart.

Here is the place to cry away the tears, or, well, cheer about our win. For the record, there's no way we lose this game. We're banged up and can't quite find ourselves, this is all true. Brunell suffers when his feet or legs hurt, this is all true. But, none of it matters. Just like I had a feel for the Norv Turner years, this team has developed a feel. It always responds in games like this, when it has sucked it up, people are writing it off and suddenly, the rise up and bite ya.

I'd put money on it and you can tell me how much I'd have won after the game when someone opens this up for chatter.

Is this Art or Sonny Jurgenson? George Michaels? :laugh:

When he said saunders uses the short passes to help Brunnell but if you keep doing that in the 2nd half the defense will stack the box and it wont work anymore.

So If Troy see's the problem then why cant Saunders. If Brunell cant make the throws downfield then why bother playing at all.

:yes: .... works AGAINST our running game also.

I still love Coach.

but the problems ARE coming from the coaches.

AA get's beat.... looks lost.... The coaches approved the pick-up.

Ryan Clark.... gone. coaches allowed him to leave and OVERPAID AA (now we're stuck with Juwan Howard, I mean AA)

TJ Duckett.... gave away a 3rd round pick.... he's suited up, what 2/ 3 games???? played 2 plays today... LATE in the 4th qtr????

starting Warrick Holdman????? gets beat every play. for 3 seasons?????

A Carter?????

change of entire offense?????????

little to no deep pass routes???????????? wr's aren't even running farther than 15 yds?????????

o-line getting beat..... all across the board????? both tackles are frequently looking at the play.... instead of blocking?

penalties?????????

We can't blame LaVar for being out of position?????

as I said.... I love Coach....

but, Things are what the are.

For nearly a month I have written that this sinking ship is, in fact, Joe Gibb's problem to solve. He is one of the four or five greatest coaches in NFL history but the way he decided to run the 2007 team has resulted in a comedy. He looks and sounds irrelevant to the rubber-meets-the-road issues and seems to be coaching vicariously through his senior executives on offense and defense. Not one sickness in this team has been resolved and the weaknesses have become more glaring. The single most disappointing element is that Coach has exhibited none of the decisiveness required of him or any other leader. I did not expect this. His team needs a general instead of a grandfather. I recommend he leave town tomorrow, meet with objective friends like Vermiel and others for 48 hours, talk the Skins situation through, and come back with plan that may or may not include the present cast of characters.

All I have heard for the past several weeks is the lack of consistency on offense and defense... There are many valid points that are made in defense of this argument including the addition of Randle El, Lloyd, Archuleta, Carter and others... A team needs cohesiveness in order to be successful and the addition of new talent and a new offensive system on top of it has led to the inconsistency...

I dont think its a lack of coaching... Lord knows we pay top dollar for coaches... And I cant blame Dan Snyder... Being a season ticket holder I am pained any time I find myself defending Snyder but in this case you cannot blame him... There is no questioning his desire to win... He has given the keys to the franchise to Coach Gibbs and has also given him the checkbook... Snyder isnt the one encouraging Gibbs to go after big names because if that were the case wouldn't we have been in the TO sweepstakes?

The problem in my opinion is two-pronged... Our Quarterback does not fit our new offense and our players are not intuned enough with the playbook, on both sides of the ball, to execute it perfectly... Unfortunately, barring some help from the division and a complete 180 in team performance, this season is a wash... I dont think the blame can entirely fall on Mark Brunell but it is time to see what kind of player Jason Campbell is... Because Al Saunders offense isnt going anywhere and this kid is supposed to be our future... Id rather lose with Campbell than with Brunell at this point

A final note: I like the additions of Lloyd and Randle El... The lack of production from Lloyd can be attributed to the lack of downfield passes... Lloyd does not work well in space like Moss or Randle El do, he is the type of reciever to stretch the field, make the tough catches and attack the ball in the air... Not to mention the fact that he is still a young kid, at the age of 25, and is only going to get better... Archuleta unfortunately has been a bust, so far, and Andre Carter has been slightly disapointing although he has had some flashes of the player he was in San Fran 3 years ago... I love this team and I will live and die with them...

-Hail!

This team needs to get it together, since it seems more and more obvious that the REDSKINS are not going to win many games this year, can you guys at least suck it up and play well and beat Dallas at Home. :helmet:

If this team is to ever play like they should, if this team is to ever play well for

4 quarters, then it should be against Dallas.

If this team can't play with PRIDE, PASSION, DETERMINATION,WILLPOWER,

and DESIRE against Dallas in two weeks then I hate to say it but I give up on this season.

When he said saunders uses the short passes to help Brunnell but if you keep doing that in the 2nd half the defense will stack the box and it wont work anymore.

So If Troy see's the problem then why cant Saunders. If Brunell cant make the throws downfield then why bother playing at all.

Thats what I'm saying why not put in Jason Campbell, they say he is the future well the future needs to start now:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

For nearly a month I have written that this sinking ship is, in fact, Joe Gibb's problem to solve. He is one of the four or five greatest coaches in NFL history but the way he decided to run the 2007 team has resulted in a comedy. He looks and sounds irrelevant to the rubber-meets-the-road issues and seems to be coaching vicariously through his senior executives on offense and defense. Not one sickness in this team has been resolved and the weaknesses have become more glaring. The single most disappointing element is that Coach has exhibited none of the decisiveness required of him or any other leader. I did not expect this. His team needs a general instead of a grandfather. I recommend he leave town tomorrow, meet with objective friends like Vermiel and others for 48 hours, talk the Skins situation through, and come back with plan that may or may not include the present cast of characters.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!

I'm going to do something I've never done, and that's post on a positive note after a loss like the one we took against the Colts. Of course, last week's game against the Titans, was just plain unacceptable and embarassing. This week, sure we lost..but we lost against a 5-0 team, the way we have been playing, I didnt expect us to play as well as we did against the Colts. I assumed it would be an annhialation (sp?). But I must say, Moss, Randle El, Betts, Portis and even Brunell had their moments where I actually thought we could beat the Colts. Great plays were made by the Skins' but it didn't match up with the even better plays by the Colts.

Now is the time to see what Campbell's got to offer, we are only 2 games behind Philadelphia (yes I know that means nothing in football as it would in baseball) but we might be down, but we certainly aren't out. At least not in my book. Peyton Manning and the Colt's are a great team, and a tough team to beat, especially when we play them on the road. So as much as I could place blame on this person or that person for losing this week, I won't because they played with heart, they didn't give up, and we put up a decent fight against Indy. I do think drastic changes need to be made, like maybe making the offensive plays a little less difficult for Brunell to remember (700 pages??! Come on!) But again, maybe it's time for some changes..maybe a bye week is what we need to regroup, re - strategize, and come up with a new "battle plan". We are going to need something positive to come out of the bye week, Next Up: Cowboys @ home.

Archived