Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Burning The American Flag

InsaneBoost

Just curious of what you all think, I am against burning it by far, I mean, your in the country that gives you one of the biggest chances of freedom, and you burn it because you disagree with what someone did or said. I mean, im the type to open up a can of whoop ass on a person burning it.

Just was wondering whether you thought:

Yes its okay to burn it

No its not okay to burn it

Please vote, thanks!

A while ago I looked into the Marines... They actually asked that, and before I could answered the recruiter said "That's OK. I fought for that and all the other freedoms Americans enjoy everyday." Coming from a Marine it should hold some credibility, but I totally disagree. Anything that disrespects this country and/or what we stand for is wrong. No way in hell it's OK. Further more, not only is it a slap in the face to America, it's a slap in the face to our past/present/future soldiers who live and die(d) for this country.

No - it's not OK, and its totally unacceptable

A while ago I looked into the Marines... They actually asked that, and before I could answered the recruiter said "That's OK. I fought for that and all the other freedoms Americans enjoy everyday." Coming from a Marine it should hold some credibility, but I totally disagree. Anything that disrespects this country and/or what we stand for is wrong. No way in hell it's OK. Further more, not only is it a slap in the face to America, it's a slap in the face to our past/present/future soldiers who live and die(d) for this country.

No - it's not OK, and its totally unacceptable

That marine gets it. We need a lot more people like him.

This country stands for freedom of speech, freedom of speech in this country means that you can do anything as long as it does not incite violence, it also means that you have the rights to do things which others may consider "unpatriotic" or disgusting, therefore the values that flag stands for would actually be harmed if people were not allowed to burn the flag.

I don't like to see it, but yes it should be allowed, just think how you would feel if the USA suddenly changed dramatically, became something other than a democracy, and you weren't allowed to voice your protest

I can't see myself ever burning the flag of my own country; I don't see what it achieves. It seems kind of hypocritical to me to burn the flag and then continue to live here.

Having said that, I think anyone who thinks that burning the flag should be outlawed does not have any idea of what the flag represents. Freedom makes this country great, not the other way around.

They burn flags all the time.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/faq/disposal.shtml

Question:

I recently took a Flag Etiquette Quiz at another site. One of the questions concerned proper disposal of the American flag. The question was "How should you dispose of a U.S. flag that's beyond repair?"

Options were 1) Burn it 2) Shred it 3) Give it to your local government or American Legion Post to dispose of

The quiz gave the correct answer as "You should give a flag that's beyond repair to your local government or American Legion Post to dispose of." But my local government would not accept our old flag. What should I do to dispose of an old flag?

USA Flag Site Answer:

Their answer came from an incorrect interpretation of this sentence at the Federal Citizen Information Center of the U.S. General Services Administration (the GSA):

"American Legion Posts and local governments often have facilities to dispose of unserviceable flags."

While that statement is true, it's also true that they often have neither the facilities nor the knowledge. Furthermore, many municipalities have contacted USA Flag Site for what they should do with unserviceable flags. The only definitive answer is found in the US Flag Code. TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 8(k). It states:

"The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"

You can find a good copy of the entire US Flag Code at the Legal Information Institute, Cornell Law School

USA Flag Site provides the high points of American Flag etiquette in a more user friendly format on our Flag Etiquette page.

While we simply cannot respond personally to every inquiry, we'll try to add the most common questions and answers here. If you have suggestions, comments or questions for us, we'd appreciate your dropping us a note by clicking here.

If you'd like to spread the word and help others find USA Flag Site, you can link to us from your web site.

I was raised not to worship graven images... so, burning the flag is not the same as burning the country. Still, I wouldn't burn a bible, torah, or our flag (as a statement of protest) It's a vile act, but like others have said, if you support AMERICA then you put up with the freedoms of expression that are ugly as well as beautiful.

1) One of the things that makes this country great, is that people can burn the flag.

2) Anybody who does, just lost my attention and my support.

(In most cases. Yes, as pointed out above, it's possible to respectfully burn the flag. There was also a case on here, a while back, about a civics teacher who burned one in front of his class, and in his case, I'd say he wasn't disrespecting it, he was respecting the principals it stands for. (By demonstrating that one of the principals it stands for is the freedom to burn it.) But burning one as a publicity stunt for a rock band or a political protest: They've got the (legal) right, but they're (ethically) wrong.)

as my junior year of high school teacher said "I got no problem with burning a flag, just, don't burn the one hanging off my house. "damn it, what the F are you doing lighting something on fire soo close to my house, it could burn my house down!""

Anyways, I don't care if people burn a flag, it pains me to see a US or Indian flag burned, I wouldn't do it, but, it doesn't really hurt me or my nation. I mean, when I see footage of flag burning, I just think "let them have their fun, if they think that is gonna stop us or make us weak, they are dead wrong".

This country stands for freedom of speech, freedom of speech in this country means that you can do anything as long as it does not incite violence, it also means that you have the rights to do things which others may consider "unpatriotic" or disgusting, therefore the values that flag stands for would actually be harmed if people were not allowed to burn the flag.
So if you burn the flag and I kick your butt, does that mean it should be illegal because it incited violence? Because it surely would.

Flag burning? That's a hell of way to create change.:doh: I vote NO! I say ignore the people who do this instead of making it news and they will stop.

Bingo. Anyone who burns a flag is pretty much a clown. Doesn't mean it should be illegal. Doesn't mean you should feel free to assault the idiot.

Just means they are an idiot.

"And if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow."

So if you burn the flag and I kick your butt, does that mean it should be illegal because it incited violence? Because it surely would.

No. You would be charged with assault and rightfully so. Zguy, you have to ask yourself, "is the punishment worse than the crime? Is flesh worth more than fabric?" The answers are yes and yes.

Some Muslims get violent over symbolic gestures. It's idiotic. Life is worth more than symbolism. That is part of what separates us from them IMO, well, at least me from them.

rickmonday-flag.jpg

The Greatest Play in Baseball "In 1976, baseball player Rick Monday stopped a flag burning during a game in Los Angeles. Rather than stand around waiting for somebody to pass a law or amend the Constitution, Monday simply snatched the flag from the desecrators. Rick Monday proved you don't need the government or a law to do the right thing." - Richard Rongstad. The Greatest Play in Baseball. Listen to recording of the radio broadcast of Rick Monday saving the flag, plus comments from Rick Monday, Tommy LaSorda, Steve Garvey. More Flag Burning Quotes

Archived