Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Four Simple Moves to Turn the Franchise Around

SkinsNoles21

1.Bench Mark Brunell, Start Jason Campbell: Everyone knows it, its time to let the kid get a shot. Brunell looks for one wr, one te, and the rbs....Let Campbell air it out, its the perfect time for him to come in and make mistakes, because hell it will still be better than Brunell and the fans love this guy, he will make some mistakes, but he will also make some plays. HE WILL PROVIDE A SPARK.

Look at Tennessee, look at Arizona, and this is Campbell's second year, not his first...put him in, who cares if he doesnt know all 8.72 million plays, Brunell only looks at one guy on every play anyways.

2.Bench Warrick Holdman, Start Rocky McIntosh: For the same reason we need to start Campbell, we need to bring in Rocky. Rookie linebackers play well in the NFL all the time, and Rocky has looked good in any time he has received. Holdman may play solid, but he is not a playmaker, he isnt going to get any better, and what Rocky can provide now, will probably be equal to what Warrick will ever be able to give ever again. Let the guy come in and provide a spark, because that is what this team needs.

3. Fix the Running Back Situation: This is the most baffling of them all. We have three very talented backs. We know Portis is the feature, but who will spell him in the long run? Right now Duckett and Betts are both in the final years of their deal, and if we lose both of them that is rediculous. To fix it RIGHT NOW you sign the RB of your choice to a long term deal, and trade the other one. Hey maybe you could even get a draft pick or two...and with that late round draft pick, instead of picking another fullback, you take a ****ing kicker, and sign him to a 50 year deal...and then after you do that this is what you do with the team.....

4. LEAVE IT ALONE: Bring in the young guys, go with the team you have and no matter how this season plays out you keep it the same for next year!!!!!! Use what few draft picks you have to fill some holes, sign a couple backups or whatever and quit making so many damn changes. I dont even care if they keep Brunell, but keep him as a backup, let him teach Campbell a few things because hes played for a while, he has to know something.

(In the draft you take 2 cbs and some oline)

What is so frustrating is that the talent is there, ITS JUST NOT BEING UTILIZED.

I have two teams...Redskins and Seminoles...they both do the same thing....keep players on the bench, refuse to make obvious changes....(like firing your son the offensive coordinator Bobby Bowden)

This is not a coincidence....Bobby Bowden is 194 years old and Joe Gibbs is 84 years old, they have been around longer than anyone and what they have done the entire time has worked. But the thing is, its not working anymore, and they have to recognize that and be willing to make the necessary changes.

its like that guy you know who doesnt care that disco isnt in style, hes still gonna sport the look. :doh:

:applause: EXCELLENT Post!

No you stick to whatever plan is in place.

Kneejerk over-reactions are not the way.

Dig up the the old posts.

The knock on campbell was that he was as dumb as a lamp-post and was having a hard time learning the complicated offense.

Time, patience, not hurry, kneejerk.

Calm grasshopper.

I understand what you are saying and it would be valid if this team was 3-3 or 4-2, but at 2-4, having just taken an L to one of the worst teams in the NFL and a rookie QB......who cares about patients its time to play the guy with talent.....

All im saying is Vince Young isnt exactly smart either, if campbell is that dumb that he cant step in and play a sport hes been playing his whole life...at least halfway descent....then why do we want him as the future....run the plays he knows, let him grow in the roll...

Agreed. I can watch the game and make my own decision.

Ok great argument.....THEN WHAT THE HELL DO YOU COME TO A MESSAGE BOARD FOR.....everyone can form their own opinion....

some people like to share theres......

And ok I said everyone knows it, but half the threads on this board discuss how horrible brunell is.....I assume the majority of the people want brunell to be benched....so do alot of other people.....I am not wrong, and neither are you....

I say this...

1.Make the change at QB. Brunell can't throw down field, he holds the ball WAY TOO LONG, he stares down his recievers, he throws into quadrouple coverage and throws Interceptions, and he throws it into the dirt. Brunell would not start for 31 other teams in the NFL.

2.Get Cornelius Griffen and Joe Salaviea back with Shawn Springs. Implement Troy Vincent right away. Our defense has not been up to full strength once this season.

3.Draft or sign some depth at CB in the off season as well as offensive line. Just make sure if it's a free agent their not 36 years old like Brunell. He has no skills left.

And keep the rest of the team together to keep the chemistry right. The biggest mistake in the offseason was letting Ryan Clark go. We're paying for that now.

4.Mix the play calling up. And use TJ Ducket and Mike Sellers in short yardage situations.

My 4 simple things.

Release Kenny Wright.

Release Ade Jimoh

Release Carlos Rogers

Release Mike Rumph

That's right. I would have released them on Monday. Go sign some free agents and see if you can find a diamond in the rough. Id rather loose to the Colts 65-0 with the chance of developing some good players, than sit and watch a bunch of no talent clowns get torched up and down the field.

People need to stop and realize that our focal point on offense is clinton not Mark Brunell.

Therefore we need a QB who sets up the offense best for CLINTON , not an offense that sets up best for Mark Brunell.

As long as the middle of the field is a no go the line will be stacked and the run will suffer.

It has been happening for 3 years. Yes Clinton had a good year last year, but is it even close to what he proved he was capable of when in Denver? No.

Look at the production of Clinton compared to Reuben Droughns after they left Denver, The drop off for Clinton is much worse.

I cannot blame Clinton, I never did even in 04, I enjoy the flexibility in schemes that the Skins have shown to incorporate Gibbs' old runs.

But the FIELD HAS NO BALANCE. Clinton will forever be tripped up 5 yards downfield at best.

We have one of the best (very) young RBs in NFL history, and he is being wasted.

Also, FREE TJ DUCKETT!

I understand what you are saying and it would be valid if this team was 3-3 or 4-2, but at 2-4, having just taken an L to one of the worst teams in the NFL and a rookie QB......who cares about patients its time to play the guy with talent.....

All im saying is Vince Young isnt exactly smart either, if campbell is that dumb that he cant step in and play a sport hes been playing his whole life...at least halfway descent....then why do we want him as the future....run the plays he knows, let him grow in the roll...

We are getting closer in thinking. Although I think someone like Young has a 50/50 shot at getting it done so fast. Way too early to tell.

Vince is just now playing, teams dont know how to defend him yet. They have no pro film on this guy yet.

But this is the Pro's. They will get a handle on Young soon and lock him down. Its just a matter of time. If Vince is still playing good after opponents have a good 3-4 games worth of nfl film on him, then I will applaud him.

My whole thought process on campbell right now is....

2-4 is not a lost cause yet. If we didnt show the sparks of life like did in the Jacksonville game, I would probably think different

Campbell is having a rough time learning the offense according to info about a month or so old.

Brunell isnt winning games for us but he isnt losing them either like a Drew Bledsoe 3 INT type of game.

I want Campbell to succeed, but I also dont want to blow his confidence. Confidence is everything to a QB especially a rookie.

If we can make it thru the season with Brunell, get to the playoffs or clsoe, then I'll be happy. Campbell can get a full training camp as the clear #1 and come out smoking next year.

Remember this team still has the potential (potential) to go to the Superbowl.

Injuries, bad schemes, new offense, and emotion is what is holding us back.

4 things don't need to be changed here, its only 2:

1. Run the GOD DAMN BALL! 14 carries for Portis against the worst run defense is disgusting it actually makes me sick to think about. He averaged 4.3 ypc and had 2 tds on all of that limited running. THAT SHOULD RING SOME FRICKING BELLS!

2. The D needs a couple more stops on 3rd down. Only a few more so that the offense can get back on the field and develop some rythym. For the guy who called to release CR. Thats complete and utter BS. CR has great coverage ability but hes severely lacking in adjusting to the ball when its in flight. Every time the receiver catches a pass CR is right there in position to make a play but he always seems to falter in that area. CR is obviously more comfortable in the #2 slot as exhibited last year when he played great down the stretch. When springs takes over at #1 slot it will push CR back to his regular position and allow him to feel comfortable. GW can then implement is full gameplane since he has SS back in the line up. I'm not expecting SS to tear it up right away against the COlts but I am expecting a pretty big postive impact on the D since one of their leaders is back.

1.Bench Mark Brunell, Start Jason Campbell: Everyone knows it, its time to let the kid get a shot. Brunell looks for one wr, one te, and the rbs....Let Campbell air it out, its the perfect time for him to come in and make mistakes, because hell it will still be better than Brunell and the fans love this guy, he will make some mistakes, but he will also make some plays. HE WILL PROVIDE A SPARK.

I agree, I think after the bye week would be a good time to put JC in, and let him learn, this season is over. I doubt he will play better than Brunell though, and will make alot of mistakes. That and lets face it, fans here will turn on you in a heartbeat. He might be getting run out of town with one bad play.

Look at Tennessee, look at Arizona, and this is Campbell's second year, not his first...put him in, who cares if he doesnt know all 8.72 million plays, Brunell only looks at one guy on every play anyways.

2.Bench Warrick Holdman, Start Rocky McIntosh: For the same reason we need to start Campbell, we need to bring in Rocky. Rookie linebackers play well in the NFL all the time, and Rocky has looked good in any time he has received. Holdman may play solid, but he is not a playmaker, he isnt going to get any better, and what Rocky can provide now, will probably be equal to what Warrick will ever be able to give ever again. Let the guy come in and provide a spark, because that is what this team needs.

I agree, except with Holdman playing solid. I think he has been very bad on a not so good defence. ****, Posey is better than Holdman.

3. Fix the Running Back Situation: This is the most baffling of them all. We have three very talented backs. We know Portis is the feature, but who will spell him in the long run? Right now Duckett and Betts are both in the final years of their deal, and if we lose both of them that is rediculous. To fix it RIGHT NOW you sign the RB of your choice to a long term deal, and trade the other one. Hey maybe you could even get a draft pick or two...and with that late round draft pick, instead of picking another fullback, you take a ****ing kicker, and sign him to a 50 year deal...and then after you do that this is what you do with the team.....

Well, we are not going to be able to deal either guy. The trading deadline just past. Wouldnt have mattered anyway. Both are in the last years of their deal, and are going ot be unrestricted free agents at the end of the year, so no one would trade even if we were not past the deadline. We just lost a 3rd rounder for no reason. Stupid front office move.

4. LEAVE IT ALONE: Bring in the young guys, go with the team you have and no matter how this season plays out you keep it the same for next year!!!!!! Use what few draft picks you have to fill some holes, sign a couple backups or whatever and quit making so many damn changes. I dont even care if they keep Brunell, but keep him as a backup, let him teach Campbell a few things because hes played for a while, he has to know something.

(In the draft you take 2 cbs and some oline)[/quote

Have to agree with this somewhat. We ahd good chemisty the last 2 years, but we have none now. Some of the gusy we lost might not have been big names, but they sure worked well here. I'd much prefer to pay our guys, not guys coming in, unless we really need to address a problem. We went overboard with the wideout situation this year, and could have kept our secondary intact. I thik our O-line needs help. It's overpaid and they cant block. Corner is a mess. I think we need a real middle linebacker, Marshall was alot better at OLB.

What is so frustrating is that the talent is there, ITS JUST NOT BEING UTILIZED.

I have two teams...Redskins and Seminoles...they both do the same thing....keep players on the bench, refuse to make obvious changes....(like firing your son the offensive coordinator Bobby Bowden)

This is not a coincidence....Bobby Bowden is 194 years old and Joe Gibbs is 84 years old, they have been around longer than anyone and what they have done the entire time has worked. But the thing is, its not working anymore, and they have to recognize that and be willing to make the necessary changes.

its like that guy you know who doesnt care that disco isnt in style, hes still gonna sport the look. :doh:

I feel your pain.

2. Holdman is every body's whipping boy....yet he is a leading tackler on defense. He was #1 in the number of tackles going into the Titans game. Holdman is not the reason we are losing games. And again....Rocky has done what to make you think he will do any better and NOT make mistakes?

He's the six tackler on the defense. I mean, he's a linebacker. Shouldn't he get a fair number of tackles?

And at no point this season was he leading the team in tackles.

I don't know why people keep making up stats when they are so easy to find.

I don't mind that youth movement all that much.

I think we need to keep the team intact as much as possible (including coaches).

Then we should add line depth over the next couple drafts so that we have some young guys who can step in since both our lines are aging...

All in all, if we can get Campbell some experience, infuse the roster with some talented youth (over the next couple years), and get the coaches to stick around so that our players can run the same scheme and the newcomers are coming into an established scheme, we'll be fine.

Look at Philly, NE, Denver, etc...they are teams that have stuck together (for the most part) and been running the same offense/defense for years...that's why they win year in and year out.

]']you make it seem as if Campbell is a guaranteed thing. it'll be hirst first game' date=' and he'll undoubtedly make mistakes. how well do you think we'll react when he has 3 interceptions?[/quote']

i mean sure well be mad, but that comes with the terriroty...he will make mistakes.....but thats why if we lose against the Colts...we will see Campbell...

The TEAM problem is more complex than you are making it out to be.

1. Jason Campbell. Will he really provide a spark or play better? Says who? Just perhaps he will play as poorly as 18 other NFL QBs rated below Mark Brunell.

As countless others have pointed out...how bad could Campbell possibly be? Our offense has shown that you can put up decent looking passing stats (but no points) without EVER throwing the ball more than 10 yards. I honestly believe that Mark Brunell is the worst starting QB in the NFL right now. The success of Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, (Vince Young?), and countless other young QBs has shown that these new guys can play. Meanwhile, our handpicked (remember what we gave up for him?) QB of the (future?) remains on the sideline.

Campbell has been learning for so long and everyone says he's not ready, but what exactly is he not ready to do? Run to the sideline and throw the ball out of bounds? Force the ball to Moss in triple coverage? Throw 2 passes in 5 games to Brandon Lloyd who has to be getting single coverage? Throw screens and five yard dumpoffs? I don't buy it.

2. Holdman is every body's whipping boy....yet he is a leading tackler on defense. He was #1 in the number of tackles going into the Titans game. Holdman is not the reason we are losing games. And again....Rocky has done what to make you think he will do any better and NOT make mistakes?

If Holdman was ever leading the team in tackles its because teams know that he sucks so bad that they can run right at him every play. Its embarassing for any player (especially a LB!) when you get run over by Travis Henry twice in one game.

3. Fix the running back situation. Again....that is not the problem. Try telling the 5 over rated offensive lineman to get off their collective butts and make a few holes for the runners. Portis is one of the finest running backs in the game but even he can't run if surrounded by defensive players.

This couldn't be more wrong. The OL played great against the Titans. Brunell had all day to throw and still couldn't do anything. Portis didn't get enough carries to produce the yards. It wasn't the OL it was the playcalling and the QB against the Titans.

I think if it was just these 4 changes, the coaching staff would've seen it already. If it was easy as this, then we should wave the magic wand and "poof" all of our trouble would be fixed. I don't drink the coaches Kool-Aid and I know that they know there are problems, but I don't think it's that easy of a fix.

"Brunell isnt winning games for us but he isnt losing them either like a Drew Bledsoe 3 INT type of game."

Brunell doesnt throw 3 picks because hes too scared to throw it to anyone.

No he isn't throwing games away at all. Sunday vs. Tennesssee, he threw into single coverage to someone other than Santana Moss

1.who cares if he doesnt know all 8.72 million plays, Brunell only looks at one guy on every play anyways.

HAHAHAHA. taht is so true. even if what they are saying about JC is true, what does it matter. this old asss weak assss overpaid hoorendous QB , brunell only looks for one guy. surely, we';ve seen brunell display all 700 pages of saunders playbook. now that i think about it more, it is pathetic that JC isnt in there. we've probably seen no more than 10 different calls all yr long. so sad.

I disagree with this post 100%.

Making more changes will not solve anything. Gibbs already made changes by hiring Al Saunders, and bringing in the guys he did this year.

We need to stick with what we have right now. Period. As soon as this team learns to play together, we're going to be scary good. And not with Jason Campbell at the helm. Not yet, anyways.

Once the season is over, then I will be screaming for Jason Campbell, but until then I'm supporting Brunell.

Archived