Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Four Simple Moves to Turn the Franchise Around

SkinsNoles21

1.Bench Mark Brunell, Start Jason Campbell: Everyone knows it, its time to let the kid get a shot. Brunell looks for one wr, one te, and the rbs....Let Campbell air it out, its the perfect time for him to come in and make mistakes, because hell it will still be better than Brunell and the fans love this guy, he will make some mistakes, but he will also make some plays. HE WILL PROVIDE A SPARK.

Look at Tennessee, look at Arizona, and this is Campbell's second year, not his first...put him in, who cares if he doesnt know all 8.72 million plays, Brunell only looks at one guy on every play anyways.

2.Bench Warrick Holdman, Start Rocky McIntosh: For the same reason we need to start Campbell, we need to bring in Rocky. Rookie linebackers play well in the NFL all the time, and Rocky has looked good in any time he has received. Holdman may play solid, but he is not a playmaker, he isnt going to get any better, and what Rocky can provide now, will probably be equal to what Warrick will ever be able to give ever again. Let the guy come in and provide a spark, because that is what this team needs.

3. Fix the Running Back Situation: This is the most baffling of them all. We have three very talented backs. We know Portis is the feature, but who will spell him in the long run? Right now Duckett and Betts are both in the final years of their deal, and if we lose both of them that is rediculous. To fix it RIGHT NOW you sign the RB of your choice to a long term deal, and trade the other one. Hey maybe you could even get a draft pick or two...and with that late round draft pick, instead of picking another fullback, you take a ****ing kicker, and sign him to a 50 year deal...and then after you do that this is what you do with the team.....

4. LEAVE IT ALONE: Bring in the young guys, go with the team you have and no matter how this season plays out you keep it the same for next year!!!!!! Use what few draft picks you have to fill some holes, sign a couple backups or whatever and quit making so many damn changes. I dont even care if they keep Brunell, but keep him as a backup, let him teach Campbell a few things because hes played for a while, he has to know something.

(In the draft you take 2 cbs and some oline)

What is so frustrating is that the talent is there, ITS JUST NOT BEING UTILIZED.

I have two teams...Redskins and Seminoles...they both do the same thing....keep players on the bench, refuse to make obvious changes....(like firing your son the offensive coordinator Bobby Bowden)

This is not a coincidence....Bobby Bowden is 194 years old and Joe Gibbs is 84 years old, they have been around longer than anyone and what they have done the entire time has worked. But the thing is, its not working anymore, and they have to recognize that and be willing to make the necessary changes.

its like that guy you know who doesnt care that disco isnt in style, hes still gonna sport the look. :doh:

The TEAM problem is more complex than you are making it out to be.

1. Jason Campbell. Will he really provide a spark or play better? Says who? Just perhaps he will play as poorly as 18 other NFL QBs rated below Mark Brunell.

2. Holdman is every body's whipping boy....yet he is a leading tackler on defense. He was #1 in the number of tackles going into the Titans game. Holdman is not the reason we are losing games. And again....Rocky has done what to make you think he will do any better and NOT make mistakes?

3. Fix the running back situation. Again....that is not the problem. Try telling the 5 over rated offensive lineman to get off their collective butts and make a few holes for the runners. Portis is one of the finest running backs in the game but even he can't run if surrounded by defensive players.

4. You contradicted yourself so many times I have no clue what your point is.

The one thing we agree on is this team has far too much talent to play the way they are playing. You can do all the coaching you want but until the players decide they really want to win, not much is going to change. The players have to go out and make plays. No one or two players is causing this team to lose. Breakdowns are occurring all over the place and far too frequently.

It's up to the players to turn things around. Either they keep playing like a bunch of fat, overpaid midget football players or they show up with some pride and play like NFL football players.

Remains to be seen which will show up in Indianapolis.

I agree with most of it, except Brunell..with exceptions.

If the O Line gets better and can protect the QB leave Brunell in.

If they leak like a sieve put in Campbell, we will need that extra dimension of mobility.

START MCINTOSH! NOW!

RUN THE DAMN BALL! (Make a commitment!)

Betts is great....before contact..this is football (READ:lots of contact)

Duckett's vision isn't the best..b/c he hasn't played much..in the last couple years..there is some tread on those tires

And of course fill the obvious gaps VIA THE DRAFT..DT, CB, O-LINE (broken record here)

The sad part is that when the new offense was coming i figured it would take a full year to click regardless of the similar numbering system. Getting ALL the starters together with the right timing, learning the playbook, not practicing the playbook in pre-season, and of course barring injury takes time.

Now that its almost to late...its time to take it old school. Counters, and Gut with play action with 3 WR sets to protect the QB.

You know Redskin Football..

Jason Campbell. Will he really provide a spark or play better? Says who? Just perhaps he will play as poorly as 18 other NFL QBs rated below Mark Brunell.

To me, this is the most nauseating thing about the whole Brunell saga. Brunell's QB rating is a complete ILLUSION. Anyone actually watching the games can see that. He has the highest percentage of his yardage coming from YAC in the NFL! And many of his completions 'downfield' were garbage time when we were already beaten.

But all that matters is the almighty QB rating, right?

Someone said it best: Mark Brunell can make all the throws that dont matter. He can complete 8 yard passes when its 3rd and 12 and he can throw garbage-time passes into prevent defenses. Beyond that, he is generally limited to screens, swings, and dumps. He does occasionally have a decent pass downfield, but they are few and far between.

End of the line is that Brunell is not playing anywhere NEAR as well as his QB rating would indicate!

Ok im not talking about our onfield production at running back, im talking about the fact that we have a running back who we traded a draft picks away for in TJ Duckett and that fact that he isnt even getting a sniff of the field. betts or duckett need to both play or one has to go......the other we need to sign to a long term deal to spell portis....is that hard...no, it is smart.

Im getting really tired of disembodied text on the internet telling me what I think and know.

what does that even mean. Everyone everwhere tries to tell you something. Its up to you decide what you want to believe and not believe.

The overall feeling i get from this board is that Brunell should ride the pine.

If you dont agree, you dont agree....but im not forcing anything upon you im giving you an option.

The TEAM problem is more complex than you are making it out to be.

1. Jason Campbell. Will he really provide a spark or play better? Says who? Just perhaps he will play as poorly as 18 other NFL QBs rated below Mark Brunell.

2. Holdman is every body's whipping boy....yet he is a leading tackler on defense. He was #1 in the number of tackles going into the Titans game. Holdman is not the reason we are losing games. And again....Rocky has done what to make you think he will do any better and NOT make mistakes?

3. Fix the running back situation. Again....that is not the problem. Try telling the 5 over rated offensive lineman to get off their collective butts and make a few holes for the runners. Portis is one of the finest running backs in the game but even he can't run if surrounded by defensive players.

1. Brunnel isn't a play maker and to make things worse he has complete tunnel vision now and only looks for Moss. Now, before you try to say other recievers aren't getting open, you may want to explain the last 2 throws to Moss in the Titans game when he was surrounded by 3+ defenders leading to 1 ball intercepted easily.

2. Holdman is a joke, actually watch him play during games, see where teams run the ball and the result. The giants just exploded on his side every single run for huge yardage. Thinking about actually watching that dreaded titans game again to see how aweful he was alone in that game but simply, he can't shed blocks and he sure can't tackle to safe his life.

3. Going to speak on a different issue about running backs, unless Portis goes for a huge gain and seriously needs a break, man up and stay in the damn game already, stop being a wuss.

4. That point blank enough?

If you take away the millions of Screen passes that pad Brunells QB rating I'm sure there wouldn't be 18 guys rated below him right now

I'm sure Jason Campbell can throw a damn screen pass just as well as Brunell can

The spark I think he will provide is the Ability to get the ball over the top

He can also make plays with his LEGS

Why not give him a shot??

I could throw a sideways screen pass in the NFL.

I can run backwards and toss the ball over the defenders head short of the line.

I can heave the ball into quadruple coverage

I can (I'm left handed) roll left and smartly throw the ball away.

I can focus on moss to make outstanding catches and moves.

= I can have a 88% passer rating...

That aint what its about. Other than Gibbs (me two weeks ago) and 1 or two odd people.. its written on the visiting teams wall... MVP of the other team: Mark Brunel.

Clock Management, Not running Sellers/Portis/Betts 10 more times a game.

2. Holdman is every body's whipping boy....yet he is a leading tackler on defense. He was #1 in the number of tackles going into the Titans game. Holdman is not the reason we are losing games.

Have you ever watched Highway 57 during a game? It looks like he's playing in rollerskates. He might be making tackles, but that does no good when they're 7 yards downfield. How many game-changing plays has he made? Tackles for losses? Those mythical turnovers that everyone says really exist? Oh and btw....Archuleta was the leading tackler before the Titans game and still is....not that that's saying much either.

Here's what I think needs to happen:

1. Get the defense healthy so it can execute the GW game plan.

2. Stay with the smashmouth running game. Let the big guys up front go man on man and run right at the defense. Pound the ball.

3. Put the QB in the game that gives the team the best chance at winning. I think if that were Jason Campbell, he would be starting. Unfortunately, I think Brunell is the best we have right now.

4. Make sure the coaches never, ever consider advise offered by fans on a chat line.

1) I could live with Campbell taking over, but there is no guarantee how he will play....but Brunell is on the downslide

2) I would imagine that GW would at least be subbing Rocky in at some point if he was better than Holdman, and he hasn't been....

3) Yes - Run More

4) Your most valid point - we need consistancy for a couple of years for the team to start playing as a team...

I like MB and have for a long time. But I'm afraid the game has started to pass him by. We need to have a QB to step up and make games winnable when the rest of the team stinks. I think Todd Collins needs to be the quarterback for now and take all 700 pages of the playbook on the field with him to see if it works with the talent we have. Work in Jason Campbell and let him get comfortable. If Indy whips up on us next week, then its time to play for next year. Do it now and not in the first three games of next year. Run the ball with Portis, Betts and Duckett every game until the right combination evolves and deal with the left outs after the season. Game situations is the time to analyze and what better time to do it than now?

The one thing we agree on is this team has far too much talent to play the way they are playing. You can do all the coaching you want but until the players decide they really want to win, not much is going to change. The players have to go out and make plays. No one or two players is causing this team to lose. Breakdowns are occurring all over the place and far too frequently.

It's up to the players to turn things around. Either they keep playing like a bunch of fat, overpaid midget football players or they show up with some pride and play like NFL football players.

Remains to be seen which will show up in Indianapolis.

That's WHY I want to see JC out there. I believe hE can go out and make plays. Kid won alot of games in college and is used to finding ways to win. Let the future play.

]']you make it seem as if Campbell is a guaranteed thing. it'll be hirst first game' date=' and he'll undoubtedly make mistakes. how well do you think we'll react when he has 3 interceptions?[/quote']

So what should we do...keep him on the bench for ever so he never makes mistakes and that way we wont get mad at him. That is rediculous....not to mention who the hell cares Brunell makes a mistake constantly.

Fire the damn coach already ... and start over!

This right here is exactly what is wrong with the Redskins organization...dont fire everyone and start over, we do that every two years and looks where it gets us. The talent is there the coach is there, make changes regarding who is on the field....and stick with it..

Give me a break with this fire Gibbs nonsense......

what does that even mean. Everyone everwhere tries to tell you something. Its up to you decide what you want to believe and not believe.

The overall feeling i get from this board is that Brunell should ride the pine.

If you dont agree, you dont agree....but im not forcing anything upon you im giving you an option.

Actually hes right.

Stop talking for other people.

You should replace we with me.

You are wrong

So what should we do...keep him on the bench for ever so he never makes mistakes and that way we wont get mad at him. That is rediculous....not to mention who the hell cares Brunell makes a mistake constantly.

No you stick to whatever plan is in place.

Kneejerk over-reactions are not the way.

Dig up the the old posts.

The knock on campbell was that he was as dumb as a lamp-post and was having a hard time learning the complicated offense.

Time, patience, not hurry, kneejerk.

Calm grasshopper.

Archived