Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think people forget we were 5-6 after 11 games last year.....

NoCalMike

We did not have the amount of conference losses all of last year that we already have.

This is not last year.

no it's not last year, but the lesson we learned from last season, is never count out a Joe Gibbs coached team :D

and the Giants won the east with 4 conference losses, and 2 division losses.

still lots of football still left to play

Last year our defense was reliable and our offense wasn't learning a new system.

last season our defense couldn't stop the run, and gave up huge run plays (2 two hundred yard rushers) while Griffin was hurt, and a bunch of points early as well, we didn't shut people down until the 5 straight run (the tampa game vs tampa 2 game case in point)

We were shout out by the Giants last season in NY Portis had 9 yards rushing with 4 turnovers. We had given up almost twice as many sacks in the first three games as we have in the first 5 this season

Chris Rock made the joke once: "You can drive a car with your feet. That doesn't make it a good idea."

Yes, the team went on an incredible winning streak last year to make the playoffs. That doesn't mean they should plan for that again.

In baseball, the Astros this year proved that you can only make a desperate charge so many times before you fall flat.

Things were quite a bit different last year. Our team is not playing as well this year compared to last, especially on defense. Our division is far more competitive. This years schedule is brutal. All of that being said, it is a tougher year for all of the NFC teams, no game is a sure win anymore. If we win some division games we will be fine.

We were 5-6 but managed a rarity, which consisted of going from 5-10 wins in the last five weeks of the season, and we still needed our excellent conference and division records to ensure that we came out on top. You can't rely upon that happening every year, or even most years.

We're not out of it by any stretch, but bulldog's right - 8-3 at a minimum is what we need to finish. That's a tall order for any team, much less one that's 2-3 and as schizophrenic as ours is.

Many people are comparing what the end of last season with the current status. When we were 5-6, our defense was less than mediocre, especially against the run. Our offense was up and down. We got shut out and beaten by at least two teams we should have blown out. We were not creating any turnovers.

So far, the defense is better against the run and though it has been weaker against the pass, a major reason has been that Springs has been down. We aren't creating turnovers, but that's no different from last year.

I seem to remember, despite a 5-6 record, every game was a tight close and well-played game, (with the exception of getting spanked by NY at NY). Every game the offense and defense were making plays. Against Denver, KC, San Diego, Tampa, etc, were all really close games that came down to one or two plays. This year, we're basically getting beaten in our losses without putting much of a fight.

Losing to Norv Turner and the Oakland Raiders at home was not a well-played game. Giving up a long run in OT against the Chargers was not playing well, especially since we should have won. We gift-wrapped and handed KC that win, mostly because of idiotic penailties. Our turnover margin was horrible before the win streak.. and so on and so on.

Its only been 5 games.. can we see what this team is really made of before we count them out? Granted, we need to improve. But as someone stated earlier, never count out a Joe Gibbs coached team..

no it's not last year, but the lesson we learned from last season, is never count out a Joe Gibbs coached team :D

and the Giants won the east with 4 conference losses, and 2 division losses.

still lots of football still left to play

I just wish we didn't have to wait until we are 5-6 or 2-3 for the Joe Gibbs magic to kick in.

Its too hard to win on the road in the playoffs, these slow starts kill us because it means if we sneak into the playoffs like we did last year we'll be playing in places like Chicago and Seattle.

Nobody wants to play us in Washington in the playoffs, the two seasons i've been around for that the Skins were in the Super Bowl were both a result of NFC Title games at home.

last season our defense couldn't stop the run, and gave up huge run plays (2 two hundred yard rushers) while Griffin was hurt, and a bunch of points early as well, we didn't shut people down until the 5 straight run (the tampa game vs tampa 2 game case in point)

We were shout out by the Giants last season in NY Portis had 9 yards rushing with 4 turnovers. We had given up almost twice as many sacks in the first three games as we have in the first 5 this season

I agree bubba. I'm going to say this and this is the last time I'm going to say this. Before the season I had us 3-2 at this point. We aro only 1 GAME OFF THAT MARK!!!!!!!!!!!. If portis was 100% in the Vikes game. We would have punish the Vikes and we would be 3-2 and we would not have this wide spread panic that we have. I am listening to the sports talk radio shows and reading post on this board. And people are ready to jump of a bridge. This team is not as bad as its record. We have a tough First half schedule. We will steel a game on the road to a team we are expected to loose and then we will be on track. Look at the teams in our division. Look at ther schedule. Giants and Eagles schedule are just brutal. Our tough games are at home. We play well at home. CHILL OUT!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish we didn't have to wait until we are 5-6 or 2-3 for the Joe Gibbs magic to kick in.

Its too hard to win on the road in the playoffs, these slow starts kill us because it means if we sneak into the playoffs like we did last year we'll be playing in places like Chicago and Seattle.

Nobody wants to play us in Washington in the playoffs, the two seasons i've been around for that the Skins were in the Super Bowl were both a result of NFC Title games at home.

Well, 5-6 is MUCH worse than 2-3. Fact is, a 12-4 team probably goes through a 2-3 stretch. Heck, I've seen 12-4 teams go through 0-4 stretches.

In 5 games, the 2003 (went 14-2) Patriots were 3-2 being shut out by the 6-10 Bills and to the Redskins who would go 5-11 while two of their wins came on just two plays.

BTW, the Redskins were 3-2 after 5 that year and were only two plays away from being unbeaten at that point. In 2001, we went 0-5 to start and ended up 8-8 while the year before we started 3-2 and ended up with the same record. In 1996, after 5, we were 4-1 (only 1 play away from being undefeated) and ended going 5-6. Which would be worse, going 3-2 and finishing with an 8-3 or better run or starting 4-1 and finishing with 3-8 or worse run?

More history, in 1981, Joe Gibbs started 0-5 then went 8-3 and missed the playoffs by a mere 2 plays. In 1982, we were crushed by the Cowboys at RFK but came back to win the SB. We were the first team in SB history to come from behind! The next year, I believe we were one of the first teams to actually lose an opener and get to the SB. In 1988, we became the first team to overcome a 10-0 deficit to win the SB.

Looking at our schedule, most of our tough games are in FedEx. The New York Giants still have to play Dallass twice, us once (at FedEx) and Philidelphia. They are certain to lose at least two of those. Dallass plays us at FedEx and we still have Philidelphia twice. I like our chances to pull off the division.

1.)Not a sham but I think we definately over achieved and may have lucked up a bit to finish 10-6 considering we were 5-6 at one point.

2.)Your sarcasm is neat but wrong. This is a case of numbers lying. We were definately not the 11th best offense from week to week, there were several games where we were one of the worst offenses in the league.

Being the 11th best offense in the league dosen't mean much when one week you put up top 5 numbers then the next you put up bottom 5, i'd say consistancy is what they strive and we were anything but that.

3.)There were plenty of games where both players you mention were healthy and we looked just as bad as we did in the playoffs.

You acting as if the playoffs was the first time all year the offense looked terrible.

1) Which 2 December losses would have made you feel better about our 10-6 record because we went 7-4 after 11 games instead of 5-6? Would you have felt better if we went 10-1 and dropped the last 5?

If that happened, would you say we were a 10-1 team that had 5 games of bad luck? Nope, but you have no problem saying we were a 5-6 team that had 5 games of good luck.

2) That's the way stats go. The Chiefs got 446 yards and 45 against Houston, but then they only got 285 yards and 10 points against Denver. That's how they lead the league in offense last year. They beat up the weak teams, so it could make up for not doing as well against the better teams. Everybody does it.

We had one of the hardest schedules last year, so it's not like we padded our stats against weaker teams.

3) How many is plenty? 8+ games? You aren't trying to define our season based on something that didn't happen a majority of the time. Are you?

Archived