Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Departed

mhd24

Was a great movie. I caught the 7:00 pm flick tonight. Incredible flick. I have not seen a better movie since LA Confidential.

SPOILERS

Why did'nt Leo just go straight to Dingman (Wahlberg) after he found out that Damon was the rat. He would have ended up with a different fate.

the movie was GREAT! it gets kind of confusing in the beginning b/c i felt like there was an overwhelming amount of characters introduced but one all that went by I LOVED IT.

SPOILER question!!!

Question tho... why did digma kill sullivan anyways? Was he upset he got the chief killed? b/c he did it hitman style which to me looked like he was somehow connected back to the mafia leader.. anyways i hope i just didn't spoil it for people

I think Wahlberg's character killed him because he did kill the Chief and the fact that he knew Damon's character was the rat the entire time and that was the only way he could get back at him. There were some confusing moments in the film and I think if you see it again it'll anwser some questions. I figured Sheen's character was going to be the other man working for Nicholson who was in the police force and hoping that wouldn't be the case. Wahlberg was great in that movie and still a very underrated actor. Hell they were all great.

the movie was GREAT! it gets kind of confusing in the beginning b/c i felt like there was an overwhelming amount of characters introduced but one all that went by I LOVED IT.

SPOILER question!!!

Question tho... why did digma kill sullivan anyways? Was he upset he got the chief killed? b/c he did it hitman style which to me looked like he was somehow connected back to the mafia leader.. anyways i hope i just didn't spoil it for people

Ya know thats a good question. I was thinking that maybe somehow she got in contact with Wahlberg's character?? It may of been something else that was left for us the audience to figure out. We were made to believe that she would've exposed Damon's character but that Wahlberg got to him first.

AWESOME MOVIE!!!

Another spoiler question...

The envelope that Bill gave to the phsychiatrist (I have trouble remembering their names). She never opened it...?

Spoilers.................

Dignam killed Sullivan because he was fired from the force. Since he wasn't a cop anymore he couldn't bring Sullivan in and have anyone believe him. It'd be a game of he said/he said and who would they side with? Sullivan, cause he's already the hero.

Then again, Dignam had to have proof of Sullivan and Costello were in cahoots because...........

The envelope that Bill gave to the phsychiatrist (I have trouble remembering their names). She never opened it...?

She opened the envelope, it's how Dignam found out that Sullivan was the rat.

Remember the shrink only found that Sullivan and Costello were together because she opened up the letter that was for Sullivan.

The letter in the yellow envelope that Bill handed to the Shrink was important because it told her who she could go to. Remember Sheens character was dead, Dignam was his only contact in the force who knew the ins and outs of his mission. The Shrink had no interaction with Dignam, so we're lead to believe she didn't know who he was. The letter told her to go to him.

How he disposed of Sullivan was up to him.

GREAT movie...Scorcese never disappoints.

This is basically what Miami Vice wishes it could have been. What an amazing friggin' movie. Lately, I haven't been impressed by too many flicks. Whew... This one takes the cake, though. Like someone already stated, instant classic.

*pseudo-spoiler* BTW, those kills shots were like something out of a videogame. Everyone got it in the head, except for Sheen. All I could think was, "Yet another frag!"

Best movie of the year.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Technically, Sullivan said on the phone to Bill that "Dignan resigned", which he did actually threaten to do earlier, so I don't think he actually got fired - which leads me to believe that the hit at the end was motivated by the contents of the envelope, rather than retribution for getting fired.

• 2 weeks later...
AWESOME MOVIE!!!

Another spoiler question...

I have talked with people about this scene and I have been told by a few people that in the envelope are pictures of Leonardo’s character as a child that he has left, they are the only are possessions that he owns that have any value. Someone told me that in Internal Affairs, which has the exact same plot, you see that pictures are in there. Don’t know if it is right or not because of course we never see but it kind of makes sense. They have that weird connection about photos/childhood (he puts her picture back on the wall at her apartment) and it fits into the plot. If you remember at one time he is sitting looking at pictures of himself while drinking after the death of the police chief. While drinking and looking at the photos he then gets that call from Matt Damon’s character and freaks out in his house. He throws the pictures that he was looking at in an envelope I think and then into his bag. Those could have been what was in the envelope.

• 2 weeks later...

Good lord this movie was good.

Spoiler...........

I thought that the envelope would have contained a way for the shrink to make the connection with marky mark. (Sorry, he'll always be marky mark to me.) Unless DiCaprio somehow got ahold of Marky Mark to tell him who the rat was, MM never would have known to kill Matt Damon. That just seemed like it made the most sense to me.

BTW- Was anyone else shocked as hell when DiCaprio got killed? I thought I was going to swallow my coke cup.

**SPOILERS**

Good lord this movie was good.

Spoiler...........

I thought that the envelope would have contained a way for the shrink to make the connection with marky mark...

It did. Since Billy makes no known effort to contact Marky Mark (or even the Funky Bunch) after he discovers Colin is the mole, the only logical conclusion is that the envelope contained instructions to find Dignam and give him the evidence that Colin was the mole. I'm sure the envelope contained those pics of himself as a kid that he was looking at too, so she had some proof that he even existed (so their kid would have some idea of who his/her daddy was). And remember how he told her not to open it unless something happened to him. The reason he didn't just go tell Dignam right away is because he wanted to settle the score with Colin himself, and get his identity back.

• 2 weeks later...

SPOILER

Just saw the movie loved it from start to finish. To throw some new thoughts out there that no one has touched on yet. I thought the music score was incredible, and the accents were pretty damn good too. I know it wasn't much work for Damon but the rest of the cast deserves credit for never letting that become an issue.

I agree with a few of the other posts in that I believe the Envelope was given to Matt Damon's wife (DiCaprio's lover), for her to know the truth and find Wahlberg. I also think that would explain how he got into Damon's apartment with no sign of forced entry. She seemed more in love with Leo than Damon so I could easily see her sliding a key to Wahlberg to make the hit.

Also, something I thought I saw coming that well....didn't. A sequel or drawn out story line. I thought the whole shrink getting pregnant was going to be an issue because I think the kid was probably Leo's. It only seemed logical, and when her and Damon first got together she basically referenced the fact that he wasnt too effective in the sack (while they were having breakfast "it happens to a lot of guys"). While, Leo had no problem making her toes curl.

I have a few more questions and issues....hopefully we can get more people talking about it now that its been out for a while.

Great friggin movie

Archived