Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fans who booed: you embarassed us on national TV

SkinsNumberOne

I was especially proud of one Skins fan, who was hanging over the tunnel entrance with his son at the end of the game. He reached down and patted Hall and Brunell as they came off the field, and gave them some encouragement. That was really nice to see, and I wish we all had that kind of class. I guarantee players note that kind of thing and it means something to them. And what a great example to set for your son or daughter.

'We'll get 'em next week guys!!'

Thank you Tarhog.

Booing breeds nothing but distrust between the players and the fans. If the players think the fans will turn on them in an instant, what motivation do they have.

Every fan likes to think players are "doing it for us" or that they are "representing our city" but how can you expect them to play for something that is so unsupportive that it would boo them in the FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON! Christ, its not like we were down by 20 points and getting blown out.

The game was well played and very competitive. I dont think there was a sack the entire game by either team. There were no turnovers. I think by the end of the season people will be talking about how good the Vikings O-line is...I certainly underestimated them a little.

There are some kinks certainly, as there would be in any opening game but in my mind, the team has done nothing that would constitute them getting booed. At the end of last season when the playoffs were a distant and fading hope, the support of the fans at FedEx and across the US helped our team to 5 straight wins and a trip to the playoffs. The players loved playing for us and for each other and I guarantee it wasnt because they were happy with the lack of encouragement they recieved from each other and us.

How ugly is it that in such a short time the attitude has gone from encouragement to discouragement in the mind of some fans? Are they so fickle that at the slightest sign of trouble they would rather jump ship and swim until the leak was clogged rather than stay and help clog the leak?

Booing your own team is pathetic IMO, sorry if you feel otherwise. No one wants to stay in a relationship where they feel unappreciated and not trusted and players are no different.

But keep booing if it makes you feel better, our players will be out there for a paycheck instead of you soon enough.

Hail!!

I don't buy the 'it takes time to gel excuse about the offense. Didn't Minnesota install a new offense?

The problem is Brunell is your 'Don't lose the game" type QB and not a 'win the game" type QB. If the defense plays great we will win some games otherwise it will be like the vikings game.

I haven't read all of the posts, but I just want to say that we have to stretch the field more if we want more success. It looked to me that Minnesota didn't think we could throw deep and they had 7-8 guys in the box every time. That to me is why I'm starting to question Brunell somewhat. Also I think it was more the guys he threw to last year and the plays they made....then it was Brunell's throwing last year. It seems to me that instead of trying to make plays (like he did in the final minute) he's trying to just not make mistakes. I'd rather have a 300 yd day with 3tds and an interception, then a 150 yd day with no tds and ints. I hope Brunell starts playing to make plays or I will start talking about playing Campbell.

They were probably getting tired of Brunell's "smart" passes out of bounds. For crying out loud, TAKE A CHANCE BRUNELL!!!

So whats better, throwing a pass out of bounds "smart passes" as you say or getting a pick by throwing a bad pass into a crowd? Now I do think he needs to spread the ball around and get Cooley and Lloyd involved more but don't take a dump on the guy for making a good choice and protecting the ball by throwing it away.

People who boo their team when they still have a fighting chance to win are bad fans. Plain and simple.

There are situations when it is inappropriate to boo, i.e. after a few failed third down conversions in the middle of the third quarter. I've never understood people who do that.

However, some of you act as if it's your child climbing up the rock wall, and when they only make it halfway and start crying, you go, "it's okay son! Maybe next time!" This is NOT the case. There is absolutely nothing wrong with voicing your displeasure. Anybody who says that they clapped and hollered when John Hall missed that field goal is LYING. If I were there, I would have booed until I passed out from a lack of oxygen.

EDIT: I didn't see this discussed, but I did think it was embarassing that during the pregame, our fans showed America how NOT to carry out a moment of silence with their inappropriate screaming. :doh:

']Agreed. The fans were pretty fickle last night' date=' and you know it had to have some effect on the players.[/quote']

Silly me I thought it was the vikings o-line, d-line, qb and receivers that were affecting the players. I know now it was my fault.

I said the same thing during the game, with certain choice words added of course. Booing our own team is worse than all the rapidly multiplying chicken littles out there, be it on the boards or on the radio.

I wore my gameday hat and my new "F Dallas" shirt today and shrugged off everyone who questioned me with pure optimism.

I booed at my TV screen when Frost made that god-awful punt.

As for Brunell, I wouldn't boo him but I was pretty close the other night. He threw away too many passes and wouldn't take a chance until the last possible second.

Brad Johnson took big risks with his passes and jump balls, Brunell sent one risky pass to Moss. He doesn't look like he trusts himself enough to take the big risks, he needs to work on that.

A QB could have a 100% pass rating if they throw the very few absolutely safe passes, and no turnovers come easily when there are no risky passes thrown.

He shouldn't get booed, but he needs to trust himself and his recievers a lot more to get this offense really rolling.

We have the highest payed coaching staff, paid big bucks on free agents and have a 700 page playbook...to get owned like that is just disgraceful and they deserved to get booed. I wonder what Minnesota's payroll is? The fact is, is that we are not a very good team...we have no depth, no special teams, a so so QB, no pass rush, weak corners. Its going to be a long season guys.

Dan

This is not a good team....It is basically the same exact team that went to the second round of the playoffs a season ago. Winning a playoff game on the road with our number 2 receiver out the second half of the season, a back up guard and a nicked up secondary. OWNED!! The Raider got owned last night, we owned the Niners last year. In no way did we get owned. Better third down defense and we convert one more of those red-zone trips and we win the game. Logic and a realistic perception of reality, you have neither.

I was especially proud of one Skins fan, who was hanging over the tunnel entrance with his son at the end of the game. He reached down and patted Hall and Brunell as they came off the field, and gave them some encouragement. That was really nice to see, and I wish we all had that kind of class. I guarantee players note that kind of thing and it means something to them. And what a great example to set for your son or daughter.

'We'll get 'em next week guys!!'

I guess I am a horrible fan and person then. Im sorry but I dont think many on the team deserved encouragement. Good deads deserve reward.

The team doesnt look much different then last year, and people know/see it. The well get em next week has gottin old long ago. Especially after all the hype the organization put out there.

Our qb still concentrates on one receiver %80 of the time. Only one rb that has shown to be reliable for good results. Defense still having a problem against the run and lil depth at Cb makes our pass D look worse then last year. We still have a problem with close games, and obviously still have dont have very good kicker when it comes down to it.

Imo the same issues from last year are still showing and more apparent. Maybe Im jumping the gun a bit, however eventually you have to start worrying about now and not "Next week".

Those of you saying its just one game, better not complain one d*** bit if we miss out on the playoffs because of 1 loss.

Guess they booed because they paid a very high price to see what is supposed to be a SB contender loosing a home game vs a team that was supposed to be weaker. Plus after bringing in high-priced players and coaching staff they were expecting nothing less but a win.

Fans are easy to figure out. Do well, they cheer. Do poorly, they do not cheer. Frustrate them and they boo.
:applause: :notworthy That should just about sum it up, and my exact feelings at the game.Now I did not boo the team, I booed the ref for not calling unnessesary roughness on the Vikings for that uncatchable ball at the end of the game.

But I was very frustrated at the end of the game, and understood why people booed.

If they would have put as much effort as booing into cheering when defense was on the field, we would have been ok.

How anyone can say that place was loud is beyond me.. Once, maybe twice the place lit up.. that was it..

Was everyone trying to be quiet because Tom Cruise was in the house?

Say what you want, but I was more disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm of the crowd.

And yes, I was right in front of the owners booth, 15 rows back from the field.

What in the hell did you expect, a standing ovation? Look, Redskin fans are pretty smart when it comes to football. If we see something that is obvious and it persists, we're going to let them know. How else are you going to show your displeasure, write a letter to Joe Gibbs?

I was at the game and I didn't boo. I said a few choice words, which made the "boo" tame in comparison, but if people want to show their frustration and that's the only way the team is going to know how we feel, then so be it.

There's only one way to get rid of the Boos and that's by playing the way Joe Gibbs and the fans expect you to play, with passion, execution and a mistake free game. I hope to see an improved, all around team on Sunday night. Hail!

EDIT: I didn't see this discussed, but I did think it was embarassing that during the pregame, our fans showed America how NOT to carry out a moment of silence with their inappropriate screaming. :doh:

Yeah, I noticed that too and wasn't too pleased with that.

And furthermore, can Washington Redskins fans please stop chanting "OHHHHHsss" during our National Anthem? I know the stadium is in Maryland, but this is WASHINGTON not BALTIMORE! Not to mention the disrespect it shows for our National Anthem.

I cringe every time I hear that.

Hail,

H

Archived