Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fans who booed: you embarassed us on national TV

SkinsNumberOne

I agree with everything except for the last paragraph. It was my first game in a long time, and my first of eight this season, but I've been just as frustrated since 1992. Being at the game is such a cathartic experience, and I just let my emotions go wild. Why? Because I'm a Redskins fan, and I've stuck with this team who, since I was eight years old, has been awful. I've supported them through everything, and I continue to, so please don't say that just because you've been more to games that you have more of a right to express yourself; you don't.

As for the rest of you: There's a world of difference between cheering for your team and supporting it. We support our team, but we want to let them know that what they were doing in that game, at times, was unacceptable. We're Redskins fans, and we're honest.

Just to get back to this, I did say that I apologized for being a d--k.

I know we all have the same frustrations, I just want some people to understand how hard it is to shlep to the field, shlep up the ramps, get amped up, let out all that adrenaline, and then see something dissapointing 8 weeks a year, year after year.

Yes, I came off as rude in the last paragraph, but I was saying those of us who are at the stadium week after week should get more rope, I'm saying that there are reasons why we end up booing. It isn't a privelage we've earned, it's a reason that it happens.

With all that said, I personally still think we have a lot to look forward to this year.

We boo the fact that guys like you hype this team up all offseason with mindless banter about how we already won the division because we picked up this guy, that guy, another guy, etc. and AGAIN, as always, come out the losers. Al Saunders offense? Should be great! STINKS. Brandon Lloyd! No touches. Andre Carter! No factor. Adam Archuleta! STINKS! What a joke. Redskins fans do this to themselves EVERY YEAR! Same results. Why stick with Brunell? All IIIIII see is a 36 year old run down QB with no mobility not able to make something out of nothing. I see a 2nd year 1st round QB sitting on the bench and rotting while this team withers away to "probably" 0-2 after the Dallas game. THAT'S why we boo. OK?

Didn't boo, stayed loyal; but dissapointed regardless. You should have seen the look of disgust on my face when so-called fans left before the five minute mark. It was even worse after the last FG by the Vikings (fools were piling out.

Say what you want but they almost won and the real supporters were there until the end. Unfortunately I was at a bad angle with my seats, and thought the last FG was good. If that doesn't ruin your night get off my dick because I don't want to hear it. Skins fan even if they lose every game, just don't expect a ****-eating grin while it's going down.

:logo:

I actually said when your team has a fighting chance of winning, you should not boo. If they sucks eggs, boo away.

You and I actually agree more than disagree probably. I mentioned earlier that I personally would not have booed during the time described before (when Brunell threw the ball away - although many people who were there claim Lloyd was wide open), I just don't have a problem if people choose to boo when it strikes them to.

I honestly feel booing has absolutely no affect on the team what-so-ever. And if it does, I don't want those players on my team.

Hail,

H

Boo. I can't think of anything that will acheive better results than being booed by your fan base, when players or teams cannot back up their talk/hype/salary by their actions on the field. People go to Redskins games to watch their heroes collectively play well. They don't always have to win, but when they do not collectively play up to their ability and talk, fans should express their displeasure. If players and teams want/desire the glory of cheering and adulation, they have to take their lumps too.

If the players and team don't like the immediate negative feedback, then they (and they alone) can fix it. In all my years as a Redksins (and sports fan in general), I have never, ever seen a great play booed by fans of the team/player making it (unless the player cheated or was cheating in some manner).

All offseason, the coaching changes, player acquisitions, and commentary by the players has given the fans the hope and expectation that the Redskins would be a Joe Gibbs team of yore (i.e. a winner).

There are many things wrong with the team that can be fixed, and there are a couple that cannot.

I don't know about Hall, but our kickoff and punt guy has to be replaced. We consistently gave Minnesota decent to great field position. Is it really impossible to find someone that can bury the ball in the end zone on kicks and just skip all the nonsense. Giving Minnesota (or any opponent) 80 yards to go per drive religously would be preferrable to having them start at the 30 or better most of the time. It would also avoid injuries and energy expenditure on the defensive side of special teams. Get the guy who can kick the crap out of the ball and then teach him some finesse later. If you think hard about the game, we would have been in much better position to win the game if we had a better punt and kick-off result (plus I think Pierson P was injured on us defending a kickoff).

We don't appear to have any capable depth on our secondary due to injuries. This put some players in a bad light that are good, but were trying to compensate for others who are substandard (at least during that game).

The running game appeared tentative. I don't know what was going on there, but it wasn't Redskins football most of the time (when Portis wasnt running).

Screens are not effective when people expect them. Way too many screens, no credible downfield attack.

Mark Brunell is failing to see open receivers. I didn't see many quick throws out of a 3 step drop, when we did, we moved the ball better. When Mark takes a deep drop we are in trouble. I expected a quicker passing game based on comments made by the organization and players. I didn't see a lot of it. I also have to agree that Mark B. appears to be trying to "play it smart" vs. "playing to win". I see him smiling after he makes mistakes, and he seems to be enjoying himself all the time. It could be that is his coping mechanism to keep his sanity. However, paired with his smart "don't get hurt, don't take unecessary risks, don't lose the game" behavior, this is putting us in a tough place (like we were last year). I expect the leader to show some passion and desire to win football games, not just talk about it (and I believe that's the definition of a real Redskins football player according to coach Gibbs). Does anyone else notice that Mark is called a "real competitor" by the Coach, and not a Leader or a Winner? Say what you like, but I never heard anyone say that same thing about QB's that win super bowls, or championships, or a majority of their games. Bottom line here is that between Mark and our new Assistant Head Coach-Offense, we better stop relying on the defense to win football games, as that is not a long term approach (to rely on a single aspect).

Injuries are making it tough to play defense. Our boys lack great depth at some positions, and we are in an exposed position there. Right now, it is not possible to lean on the defense for the majority of the game (and expect consistently good results).

and finally, Let's put this all in perspective. The Team isn't playing like a team. There isn't consistent, positive encouragement happening amongs the offensive players as of yet. When I used to watch Art, Gary and Ricky play, they encouraged each other after every play, and the fans bought into that with frenetic cheering. No bounce, no "eye of the tiger", and little results over a period of years will lead to an erosion of cheering. And don't get me started on some of the lame player celebrations when an opponent makes an error either. Thats not a positive thing.

If you don't get passionate, you are not a fan of Football (or much of a player either). While I cannot go to games anymore, due to the fact that I live in Oregon, I spring for satellite coverage, and only my children and neighbors hear my support for and disappointment with players, plays and coaching calls.

I am not down on the season, I have great hopes for the Redskins this year, and am a fan for life. Let's go Skins, and kick some ass this year (especially Dallas butt)

Archived