Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is a little fight in camp a good sign?

TheShredder

Years ago WESTBROOK kicked STEPHEN DAVIS' ASS IN CAMP, most action and contact Westbrook had in his career

:laugh:

I think a little fight between the Defense and Offense is to be expected. Especially in training camp when 90% of the time your going at each other rather than an opposing team.

As long as it doesn't start a rift between players it is good. In the past some coaches were known to have a veteran start antagonizing another into a fight as a motivational tool. It can motivate a whole position group, OL or DL as an example as well as giving the team something to talk about. I could see Parcell's using this to divert attention from TO.

Was there a fight with Jansen...? I missed the story??

Yes Jansen and rookie Kedric Golston mixed it up 2 days ago.

Fighting is something that happens at every camp and as long as it stays on the field and not the sidelines or locker room then coaches don't mind, as it is part of training camp. Now if there was two or three fights a day then we would have chemistry problems.

I don't think fighting among team mates is every really a "good" sign... but some coaches used to believe it showed competitive spirit.

usually it is just a frustrations related event, and means nothing good or bad... unless it was former Raider Romonowski that was involved in the fight, and someone might get injured.

No. Punching someone in the head who is wearing a Riddell is never a good sign. ;)

Especially when one of the guys tossing punches has two screwed up thumbs. I would characterized this as a sign of a man already taking too many blows to the head!

That said, reports by those in attendance (including Ryan O'Halloran of the Times and Jim Ducibella of the VP) say that this wasn't anything near a fight, and the entire skirmish was over in less than 3 seconds. I think some in the press are making a bigger deal out of this than they should. Even Larry Michael appeared to play it up on a much larger scale than the incident deserved.

stop.... this thread is ridiculous...cant beleive u started a thread about a training camp shoving match

Why not? Sure, it's not overly important in the overall grand cosmic scheme of all things NFL and the Washington Redskins.

But it's still training camp. And the question, Jansen's "shoving match" aside, is a legitimate one. Football is an emotional and physical game. Players' pride and even livelihood are on the line.

It sounds like the consensus is that fights (short lived and confined to the field) are to be expected. But is there a consensus that it's a good thing? It's a topic worth some discussion.

Why not? Sure, it's not overly important in the overall grand cosmic scheme of all things NFL and the Washington Redskins.

But it's still training camp. And the question, Jansen's "shoving match" aside, is a legitimate one. Football is an emotional and physical game. Players' pride and even livelihood are on the line.

It sounds like the consensus is that fights (short lived and confined to the field) are to be expected. But is there a consensus that it's a good thing? It's a topic worth some discussion.

Thanx Larry, took the words out of my mouth. It isnt a rediculous thread because some people (myslef included) had not heard about it yet. That makes this thread informative, something AQQ's post could not accomplish. :doh:

For the record, Westbrook sucker punched Davis...he did not kick his ass.

:laugh: - Are we making escuses for Stephen now! I think that we should call that the epitome of "ass whoopings", or refer back to the Forrest Gump movie when he gave that extreme activist a lesson from touching Jenny!

Training Camp scuffles between Offensive and Defensive Linemen are fairly common, especially when one guy is a vet and another is a rookie. In this instance the guys were protecting teammates on their side of the ball. I think that's ALWAYS a good thing.

John Jansen may have been a little frustrated and decided to take his ire out on Reed Doughty, a rookie who Big John obviously felt had no business trying to take some of his frustrations out on fellow vet and Offensive player Mike Sellers. Kedric Golston took exception to Jansen verbally abusing his fellow rookie and defenseman, hence the scuffle.

Rookies will always take offense to Vets' verbal, and sometimes physical, abuse. Vets feel they need to make sure Rookies know their place. Sometimes, it simply goes overboard. That, my friends, is Training Camp football. Afterwards, it becomes the job of coaches to make sure it stays an isolated incident and doesn't boil over. Looks to me like, once again, the coaches did their job.

:laugh: - Are we making escuses for Stephen now! I think that we should call that the epitome of "ass whoopings", or refer back to the Forrest Gump movie when he gave that extreme activist a lesson from touching Jenny!

:doh: It is obvious that you're not sure what you are talking about. A sucker punch and slapping a guy when he is down after said sucker punch does not constitute an ass whooping anywhere, except maybe on the first grader playground.

Archived