Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

After Alves there is no one right now. It is perfectly setup for a clash with Anderson. Thiago does have a good chance at playing spoiler though. GSP's chin is his weakness. When he gets hit it shows, and Alves hits as hard as anyone. He is also probably the only guy in the division bigger than GSP. Too bad his wrestling sucks though. GSP will probably take him down and grind him out. GSP won't be able to clinch with Alves because of his killer Mai Thai. He will have to use more traditional wrestling to get his takedowns.

Alves' wrestling is improving, he stuffed alot of Hughes' takedowns and the couple of times Koscheck tried to take him down he was unsuccessful

whether he can stop GSP from taking him down is another matter though

Edited by StillUnknown

Dude, what?

Did you watch the last matchup between GSP and BJ? BJ picked him apart standing up. He doesn't have sledgehammer/haymaker fists like Serra, but he is very precise with his shots. That's what almost lost GSP the fight before, he wanted to be more on the feet with Penn (which is understandable) and Penn came out with these little laser-like strikes; GSP's face looked like it had gotten hit by a frickin train afterward.

I hope GSP wins, and I'd bet on that if I was a gambler, but to say Penn can't do anything against GSP is insane.

Excuse me?

This isn't about just GSP. There is no chance GSP wins early. ZERO. BJ has never been dropped in a fight ever.

Even if GSP wins, it looks like you are in for a surprise from Penn.

Surprise?

GSP beats BJ 19 out of 20 times that they fight. GSP won the fight before it even began.

1. Fedor

2. GSP

20. Everyone else

Alves' wrestling is improving, he stuffed alot of Hughes' takedowns and the couple of times Koscheck tried to take him down he was unsuccessful

whether he can stop GSP from taking him down is another matter though

You're right. I dogged his wrestling before those fights too. He has improved.

1. Fedor

2. GSP

20. Everyone else

Lol, very nice.

I'm still torn on who is #2 though, between Anderson and GSP. On one hand GSP has definitely fought more top competitors in his weight class but Anderson has finished every one of his fights in dramatic fashion where as GSP has a few more fights go to decision, however GSP's decision wins have been very dominant.

Tough one to call here.

I'll say that if GSP beats Alves, he would definitely be above Anderson in my book.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8101&zoneid=13

LAS VEGAS - Although it flew under the radar for most of the fans in attendance and those watching on television, there was an incident during the UFC 94 main event mega-fight between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn that could land one of St. Pierre's cornermen in hot water.

It seems that at some point between the first and second rounds, a St. Pierre cornerman allegedly applied Vaseline to St. Pierre's back, an infraction of the rules.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flip out. They said that one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on GSP's back... in between one of the rounds, one and two, I think," said UFC president Dana White following the UFC 94 post-fight press conference. "I personally didn't see it, the commission did. And that's about as illegal as you can get... I'm sure the commission is going to deal (with it)."

St. Pierre was clearly wiped down with towels in between rounds two and three, and again between rounds three and four, by a commission official.

White believes - while the allegations are serious and that there should be serious repercussions - the outcome of the fight wasn't tainted by the incident.

"You could have put Vaseline on from head to toe, that wasn't the point, the point was you don't do it. It's illegal. The guy who did it needs to be punished, it's not (St. Pierre's) fault," said the UFC president. "The question is what happens to a guy that does that. You've got to put the smack down on him. He should lose his license.

"I don't think that impacted the fight, I don't."

A representative of Penn's camp informed MMAWeekly.com that they had not yet determined whether to file a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

There was no comment available from St. Pierre's camp or from the Nevada State Athletic Commission at the time of publication.

pretty stupid of GSP's corner, i hope it wasn't Greg Jackson as that would potentially mess up alot of fighters in the future

Edited by StillUnknown

the vaseline on the back would definitely affect the high leg guard that BJ would have tried. but it doesnt determine the punching clinic that GSP put on

I did notice a decline in BJ's guard between round 1 and 2. In round 1 it was way high up on GSP's back, to the point I was worried about a submission. After that round his guard was much lower. It didn't look like he was trying to get it up there and failing, but rather he settled for the lower guard because he was tired.

Watching Penn on his back reminded me a lot of my BJJ instructor. He's a really little guy, no more than 5'5" 165lb. But he's soooo incredibly flexible it's insane. I never came close to submitting him, or even being competitive. Every time I got him on his back, he would squeeze that guard shut tight, and it was impossible to break. After that it was only a matter of time before he would get me in a triangle or something.

You thought it would end early and it lasted 4 full rounds.

I thought BJ was a joke and was totally overmatched, and wouldn't be able to do anything against GSP.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the fight was over quickly.

He may have hung on for a few rounds, but the fight was over in the first minute.

Edited by McD5

I still have Anderson Silva above GSP. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see that matchup!!

Anderson is great, but I think he would have to catch GSP with a fast kick or strike to beat him.

If GSP got in close, or took it to the ground, it would look a lot like last night's fight.

Anderson is great, but I think he would have to catch GSP with a fast kick or strike to beat him.

If GSP got in close, or took it to the ground, it would look a lot like last night's fight.

You act as if catching guys with a kick or a strike is something unheard of. Anderson makes a living doing exactly that. His stand up is far far far far far greater than GSP's. If GSP stands with Anderson, if ANYONE stands with Anderson, it's game over. The man has the best striking skills and knock out power high enough to put people to sleep with less then perfect hits.

That isn't a fight GSP should take... Anderson is naturally 2 weight classes above GSP and has knock out power in both.

He does that and he is probably number one.

Right now I think the four of them are pretty close, but I'd put GSP firmly in 4th. He needs to be the smaller man just once before taking that crown for sure though. Everyone else on the list has done that.

You guys have to think about what "Pound for Pound" really means before you put GSP in with Fedor. GSP can't just go around beating everyone smaller than him and lay claim to being p4p king. Especially when his gameplan is to overwhelm with size and strength.

You act as if catching guys with a kick or a strike is something unheard of. Anderson makes a living doing exactly that. His stand up is far far far far far greater than GSP's. If GSP stands with Anderson, if ANYONE stands with Anderson, it's game over. The man has the best striking skills and knock out power high enough to put people to sleep with less then perfect hits.

That isn't a fight GSP should take... Anderson is naturally 2 weight classes above GSP and has knock out power in both.

I think he is naturally one weight class higher than GSP. GSP walks around close to 190. I don't believe Anderson cuts much weight to get to 185.

I am very disappointed to hear this with the vaseline. If true, whoever did it should be severely reprimanded. I don't care who it was. It could be Firaz, Greg, I don't care.

I really hope it turns out to not be true.

I still think the fight would have gone the exact same way regardless.

This is not the first time too. Sherk complained that GSP was greased up after they fought.

Anderson said in an interview awhile back that he walks around at 210, drops to about 200 when in training, then does a hard cut of 12-15lbs

He also said he fluctuates his weight all the way down to 170 to test his body at different weights. Don't read too much into it.

KO by strike is common. Everyone, especially Silva has a striker's chance.

Imagine GSP on top of Silva.

Game over.

What? I think you need a Silva fight to refresh your memory. Silva has one-touch power and can also out wrestle guys like Dan Henderson. Georges doesn't have 2 or 3 touch power and has to work on the ground for at least a round before wearing guys down.

GSP vs. Silva is a nice-looking matchup but let's not get all crazy and just start crowning St. Pierre just yet.

I am very disappointed to hear this with the vaseline. If true, whoever did it should be severely reprimanded. I don't care who it was. It could be Firaz, Greg, I don't care.

I really hope it turns out to not be true.

I still think the fight would have gone the exact same way regardless.

This is not the first time too. Sherk complained that GSP was greased up after they fought.

nobody's denying the story, and the fact the commission made his corner rub him down with towels after rounds 2 & 3 make me think it was true.

If GSP fought Anderson, his strategy would be exactly like the one against Penn. If GSP gets him down, he wins the fight.

Only thing is to get him down he will try and clinch against the cage. You don't want to be clinched with Anderson against the cage.