Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Sonnen must have absolutely zero power. he hit Baker with tons of clean shots from guard and couldn't finish the guy. Baker was clearly out of his league, with only 6 fights on his resume, he should still be on the small shows building his name up. I can't name any one thing he did positive in that fight.

Faber vs. Pulver will be good. Pulver has great boxing and his wrestling is solid. he'll give Faber a test, but i think Faber pulls it out

Yeah Sonnen's ground-and-pound isn't too impressive or Baker just has an iron chin.

I agree about the Faber vs. Pulver. I think Pulver is a good test for Urijah but I expect Urijah to come out of his corner like he was shot from a cannon and make the bout interesting like he always does.

As far as the Cheech Diaz thing goes, I'd side with the CSAC personally. I don't have anything against people smoking weed at all, but I don't think it has a place in sports and this is just the beginning of MMA and the promoting companies are working hard to make the public view MMA as a sport (which it is) and not just people trying to hurt each other in a cage.

If the CSAC were to allow Diaz to fight with his Medical Marijuana prescription it takes away from MMA as a sport IMO.

Nope, not yet, but I'm headed to med. school once I finish my current degree. I've worked with multiple physicians though and am quite familiar with the practice of furnishing medical marijuana cards here in California and yes, I'm very skeptical of Diaz being supplied marijuana for ADD. In fact, I'm very skeptical about these cards in general b/c there is such widespread abuse. I can honestly say I do not know one LEGITIMATE physician who prescribes marijuana outside of the realm of severe chronic pain cases and terminal cancer.

Whatever though, that's obviously my personal bias against marijuana use for psychological issues, especially since there is peer-reviewed scientific literature on the longterm psychosis-inducing effects of marijuana.

Regardless, I fully support the comission's decision to revoke Diaz's right to fight in this event until they have more time to investigate all circumstances surrounding his use of a drug they have banned. If, in fact, they conclude that this is a legit prescription, fine, let him fight, no problem. But I think you are failing to recognize that this is a major grey area among the both the rule-making entities of the MMA world as well as the medical community in general. The commission certainly needs time to investigate this matter and make a sound, well-thought out decision in a matter that is so controversial.

And please, don't give me this poor Diaz is still living at home crap. How long has this guy fought in pro-fights? How many sponsors does this guy have? If he can't move out and rent a frickin' apartment with the money he's made over the past few years, that's HIS fault. I'm sorry, but I just don't have a lot of pity for that argument, especially since one of my friends is a pro-fighter out of Gresham and he's working in WAY smaller shows but has still managed to make it on his own without having to live with his parents.

I know there is a big grey area. I am just sitting at the extreme to keep the discussion up. The commission is an extension of the state, and the state allows medical marijuana. I don't think they should have the right to tell people to not do what their doctors tell them to do (I also take this stance with steroids in sports. I think athletes should be allowed to heal with steroids if it is monitored by a doctor). They should at least let him get tested. Who cares if he has a card? Maybe he hasn't smoked in two years but has the card anyway. He is willing to get tested. That should be all that matters.

Whether he "should" be able to save his money is neither here nor there. It isn't about pity. It is about understanding. Maybe he supports his mom and dad. Maybe he supports his grandparents. I don't know. It isn't my place to. I just know 50 grand is a lot of money that I'm sure was already being spent on training among other things. The commission pulled this out of nowhere (according to Shaw). I guess it depends on who you want to believe.

As far as the Cheech Diaz thing goes, I'd side with the CSAC personally. I don't have anything against people smoking weed at all, but I don't think it has a place in sports and this is just the beginning of MMA and the promoting companies are working hard to make the public view MMA as a sport (which it is) and not just people trying to hurt each other in a cage.

If the CSAC were to allow Diaz to fight with his Medical Marijuana prescription it takes away from MMA as a sport IMO.

Like NBA players don't smoke.......

In Diaz's defense he'll tell you he is the healthiest guy out there. He eats right and moist importantly (to him) he doesn't drink alcohol or take pills. I haven't studied it that extensively, but I'm pretty sure it would be hard to prove that pot is worse for you than alcohol or pills.

:laugh: Cheech Diaz. I'm going to use that one.

Edit: So your advice to Diaz would be to throw the card away and smoke illegally? You shouldn't fault him for taking the legal road and getting a card.

I think this is a very good point. MMA is trying to get more of a foothold in the mainstream sports world and controversies like this can hinder this process. I love MMA and want to see it become more mainstream, but I honestly think the lack of recognition of the seriousness of the issue by state commisions could delegitimatize the validity of this sport in the public's eyes...which is one of the reasons I support the comission's ruling.

I think this is a very good point. MMA is trying to get more of a foothold in the mainstream sports world and controversies like this can hinder this process. I love MMA and want to see it become more mainstream, but I honestly think the lack of recognition of the seriousness of the issue by state commisions could delegitimatize the validity of this sport in the public's eyes...which is one of the reasons I support the comission's ruling.

That might be our biggest disagreement.

I say screw the public eye. I don;t care if the sport gets more mainstream. The owners of the UFC just made the billionaire list. There is plenty of money being made. If the mainstream doesn't want to watch, it is their loss. MMA needs to worry about the sport and its' fighters, not what the perception of the sport is.

It is the worry of what the mainstream would think that is keeping knees to a grounded opponent and kicks to the head out of the sport. Another mistake.

That might be our biggest disagreement.

I say screw the public eye. I don;t care if the sport gets more mainstream. The owners of the UFC just made the billionaire list. There is plenty of money being made. If the mainstream doesn't want to watch, it is their loss. MMA needs to worry about the sport and its' fighters, not what the perception of the sport is.

It is the worry of what the mainstream would think that is keeping knees to a grounded opponent and kicks to the head out of the sport. Another mistake.

1. Well, I can tell you that the owners of the UFC and it's president do want the sport to become more mainstream according to interviews they've given.

2. Huh? Kicks to the head are illegal? As far as I know they are legal unless we're talking about a grounded opponent.

1. Well, I can tell you that the owners of the UFC and it's president do want the sport to become more mainstream according to interviews they've given.

2. Huh? Kicks to the head are illegal? As far as I know they are legal unless we're talking about a grounded opponent.

1. Of course they want more money. That doesn't mean their number one priority should be getting more fans.

But I like a ot of fringe sports so I don't see it as a big deal. It is like when someone tells me they should make soccer goals bigger so more American will watch. It isn't even worth responding to.

2. Yeah, I was talking about grounded opponents.

Like NBA players don't smoke.......

In Diaz's defense he'll tell you he is the healthiest guy out there. He eats right and moist importantly (to him) he doesn't drink alcohol or take pills. I haven't studied it that extensively, but I'm pretty sure it would be hard to prove that pot is worse for you than alcohol or pills.

:laugh: Cheech Diaz. I'm going to use that one.

Edit: So your advice to Diaz would be to throw the card away and smoke illegally? You shouldn't fault him for taking the legal road and getting a card.

My advice to Diaz would be stop smoking all together or stay out of the ring. I'm not saying pot is worse for you than pills or alcohol but they all hinder your performance and any true athlete would be better off avoiding these things when they are training/competing

Oh man, have you heard the interview Diaz did on Beatdown radio a few months back? Jesus they asked him one question about weed and he went off for about 30 minutes and wouldn't even let the radio guys talk! :laugh:

No matter how you look at it he's serious about weed.

Exactly.

He can, and is willing to. Thats why this is so stupid. Read the story before you call him out.

I did, and I don't believe Diaz or his representation.

The simple fact is, marijuana has already cost him a win once. You'd think the genius would have decided by now that marijuana is not worth his career. Instead, he gets a license because he has ADD? :rolleyes: :doh: Most (EDIT: Many, I shouldn't say "most") fighters are idiots I suppose, but some are bigger ones than others.

I did, and I don't believe Diaz or his representation.

I don't see where you can dispute any of the claims made by Diaz or his representation. Please show me what it is you don't believe. Here is where I call into question the commission.

From the article:

"Completing paperwork on March 10 in the Los Angeles offices of Dr. Richard Gluckman --" Gluckman is the commission Dr.

Then the commission says:

"...you have to tell them way ahead of time, not three days before the weigh-in or the fight," Garcia said

Diaz went to the commission doctor and gave full disclisure on March 10th. The commission (the dr. is part of this) waited to look into it until yesterday "3 days before the weigh-in" That isn't Nick's fault. He did right by them.

If the commission said that they needed more time than 18 days (March 10th-fight day) then that would be a different story.

Here's what I laugh about, dude could do cocaine thursday and pass a test saturday after the fight, smokes a joint, he's ****ed.

And you can drink as much as you want also. Drinking increases the size of the liver and makes it vulnerable to more danger if hit. I'm not sure marijuana has any effect on the actual fight itself. Though the Nevada Commission will tell you it is a performance enhancer :doh:

I don't see where you can dispute any of the claims made by Diaz or his representation. Please show me what it is you don't believe. Here is where I call into question the commission.

From the article:

"Completing paperwork on March 10 in the Los Angeles offices of Dr. Richard Gluckman --" Gluckman is the commission Dr.

Then the commission says:

"...you have to tell them way ahead of time, not three days before the weigh-in or the fight," Garcia said

Diaz went to the commission doctor and gave full disclisure on March 10th. The commission (the dr. is part of this) waited to look into it until yesterday "3 days before the weigh-in" That isn't Nick's fault. He did right by them.

If the commission said that they needed more time than 18 days (March 10th-fight day) then that would be a different story.

I seriously doubt the commish is "out to get" Nick Diaz. Why have other fighters had medical licenses and fought, yet Diaz supposedly did everything he was supposed to? I believe certain things will come to light in the near future, and they will not provide argument on Diaz's behalf.

That being said, let's suppose he did do everything properly. Why is he still smoking weed? Why can't he lay off of it? How stupid is he? Does he really have ADD? Did his mommy not hold him close at night and sing him nursery rhymes?

Okay, okay, I don't know where I'm going with this. Truth be told, I think Nick is a punk, and so is his punk little brother. they come across as douchebags, and I have no doubt that they are, in fact, douchebags. That being said, I can't argue that he's a good fighter.

And you can drink as much as you want also. Drinking increases the size of the liver and makes it vulnerable to more danger if hit. I'm not sure marijuana has any effect on the actual fight itself. Though the Nevada Commission will tell you it is a performance enhancer :doh:

I think it is just silly. Just like I think it is silly that atheletes in other sports are test for marijuana. It is really more about a set of morality rules as opposed to performance.

I seriously doubt the commish is "out to get" Nick Diaz. Why have other fighters had medical licenses and fought, yet Diaz supposedly did everything he was supposed to? I believe certain things will come to light in the near future, and they will not provide argument on Diaz's behalf.

That being said, let's suppose he did do everything properly. Why is he still smoking weed? Why can't he lay off of it? How stupid is he? Does he really have ADD? Did his mommy not hold him close at night and sing him nursery rhymes?

Okay, okay, I don't know where I'm going with this. Truth be told, I think Nick is a punk, and so is his punk little brother. they come across as douchebags, and I have no doubt that they are, in fact, douchebags. That being said, I can't argue that he's a good fighter.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out.

He hasn't quit weed because it is a part of his lifestyle and he doesn't see why he should give it up. I guess he is an idealist. He wants his cake and wants to eat it too. I like that about him.

I agree that the Diaz bros are probably douchebags, but I love the way they fight (Nick more than Nate. Not sold on Nate yet), and they should be allowed to do so whether they smoke weed or not. Especially if they test clean for each fight.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes out.

He hasn't quit weed because it is a part of his lifestyle and he doesn't see why he should give it up. I guess he is an idealist. He wants his cake and wants to eat it too. I like that about him.

I agree that the Diaz bros are probably douchebags, but I love the way they fight (Nick more than Nate. Not sold on Nate yet), and they should be allowed to do so whether they smoke weed or not. Especially if they test clean for each fight.

just to throw my 2 cents in here..Nate is like a spider monkey. He is like BJ Penn with those legs but 6 feet taller..

just to throw my 2 cents in here..Nate is like a spider monkey. He is like BJ Penn with those legs but 6 feet taller..

Errr,ummm, comparing Nate to BJ is a bit of a stretch. BJ will destroy you on the mat or standing up. Nate will catch you with a sub. And I'd take BJ on the mat over Nate any day. Obviously Nate is real young, but I still don't think he's shown anything even close to enough to make the comparison to even a young BJ.

Nick showed up at the press conference and it sounds like he was kind of sane.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=12018

"I just feel like everybody in the state of California who has a legal cannabis club card should be able to have their choice," said Diaz, who will compete on EliteXC's June 14 card. "The way I see it is, [it's] one alternative to Ritalin or anti-depressants or something like that. I'm not going to take carcinogenic chemical drugs."

And Shaw talked more about it:

"Nick Diaz (Pictures) was the single first fighter that was medically cleared and had every medical in from the EliteXC side. He had all his medicals in," said Shaw, refuting Garcia's claim that the information was not received in time. "He did them roughly up to two and a half weeks ago."

"Armando Garcia overstepped his boundaries, in my humble opinion," Shaw said. "I am a former regulator, and he had no right to pull Nick Diaz (Pictures) off this card. Nick Diaz (Pictures) did not test positive for drugs, was not offered any pre-fight drug test or any other type of screening."

Looks like Diaz's fight will end in a courtroom.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5977&zoneid=13

Gracie denied Garcia’s claim that Diaz did not turn in his medicals on time.

“That’s absolutely not true,” said Gracie about the timing of the medicals being received. “Because if he didn’t turn his medicals in, how did (Garcia) know Nick has a cannabis club card? He found out when the medicals were turned in. Nick doesn’t turn in medicals. He goes and gets them done and the lab was turning them in for him.

“There are fighters on this card that did not get their medicals in until today. They got them done last night and turned them in today, and they are fighting.”

“Armando Garcia is here to help fighters, not to hinder them. He’s here to make sure fighters are safe, make sure the rules are being followed, not to legislate from where he’s at, make laws, that’s not his thing. It’s to enforce the laws that are made and to make sure everything happens in a fair manner. And when the fighters do it fairly, it doesn’t matter what my opinion, or his opinion, or anyone else’s opinion is, California states that it’s legal to have a cannabis club card, so that’s just the way it is.”

Regardless of the legalized marijuana issue, Gracie also says that Diaz had every intention of being tested and coming back clean.

“He never took a urine test. We wanted him to take a urine test,” he said. “We offered for him to take a urine test to show that he was going to be negative. He was not smoking, so he would be negative for this fight … they never gave him that opportunity.”

---------

Can't wait to hear what the commission says. Hopefully Nick will get his 50,000 out of them (us California tax payers :doh: )