Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

If they would start putting together better shows, they might be able to avoid these situations. The UFC is diluted now, with too many ppvs per year. This is on Dana. (who by the way is starting to lose it. i.e. possible Vera title shot guarantee, Sonnen title shot outside of his own division, etc.)

Edited by Skin'emAlive

I'm kind of surprised that Jones refused to fight Sonnen but agreed to fight Belfort.

---------- Post added August-24th-2012 at 10:21 AM ----------

And props to Anderson Silva for volunteering on short notice to fight a random 205er.

Edited by #98QBKiller

I'm kind of surprised that Jones refused to fight Sonnen but agreed to fight Belfort.

8 days vs. 3 weeks

Bones said he would've been fine with fighting Sonnen on 9/22, just not 8 days out, which really amounts to about 3 days of training when you factor in promoting the new fight and the final weight cutting days.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/23/3263249/ufc-151-cancelled-greg-jackson-responds-dana-white-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-mauro-ranallo

Jackson also said that if Sonnen was presented as an opponent for Jones in late-September instead of Lyoto Machida, they would have taken the fight.

"In this case (of the short notice fight), it's a world title fight in the best sport in the world on three days notice. This isn't backyard brawling...it's a professional sport."

"I think Chael is brilliant. He circumvented an entire division...went right from Anderson (Silva) to Jon. It's brilliant...he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'm always impressed by him," Jackson said.

Edited by StillUnknown

Then the UFC should've given him Sonnen at 152. That's a way more marketable fight than Vitor Belfort...Sonnen and Jones have been marketing that fight for weeks now.

---------- Post added August-24th-2012 at 10:43 AM ----------

btw, neither Sonnen or Belfort should be for the LHW championship. The only fight that should've held title ramifications was Machida/Jones.

If Jones can't fight Machida or Shogun, Sonnen makes more sense than Belfort from a marketing and stylistic standpoint.

I like to think of the UFC as a sport and as such getting in the ring with the champ is something that has to be earned. Sonnen hasn't earned a cup of coffee at 205.

IMO, Vitor has a better chance than Sonnen any day of the week. That blitz factor will always give him a chance against pretty much anyone. Anderson avoided a violent attack by Vitor; but Jon (or nobody in MMA for that matter) has the head movement that Anderson does. The reach is another story, Vitor just has to pick a time to go for it in the first round. Watch those front kicks, Jon loves 'em, and I can see him giving an ode to Anderson against the same opponent.

Preparing for Vitor is sort of like preparing for Hendo, they are extremely hard punchers early in fights. Vitor has way more speed and his punches are straighter. It's one of those obvious "go for broke" fights. Go out on your shield, Vitor.

What I see is Jon backing off and circling away from Vitor's attacks and softening him up with jabs and a variety of kicks from the outside. Vitor will slowly break down and have no answer for the reach. Jones via 2nd round RNC.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I remember Anthony Johnson taking down Vitor in their fight and Vitor being the benefactor of some pretty quick stand-ups from the ref. If Bones gets him down, its probably curtains.

I remember that. Miragliotta was the ref and Anthony missed weight by something crazy. (By the way, I heard AJ passed out trying to make 205 recently). A lot of people thought Mirgs was punishing Johnson for missing weight. That, or he's a huge Vitor fan. The standup was absolutely ridiculous.

IMO, the other fighters being out of a payday is more on Dana than anyone else. We have been saying for a while now that the cards have been watered down considerably, now he's paying for that sin. He can deflect the blame on Bones if he wants, but the fact that the rest of the card couldn't stand on its own is solely Dana's fault.

Its the same **** he criticized boxing about, centering the card around the main event and virtually ignoring the undercard. Jay Hieron should never be a PPV co-main event.

Haven't they turned PPV events into tv events before? This card could have gone to Fuel. (However, I suppose that's also Dana's fault.)

Video: Vitor Belfort (186 lbs) vs. Anthony Johnson (197 lbs)

Those standups weren't as terrible as I remember. Rumble was stalled from Vitor's arm control. Vitor still got taken down a few times in the lone round. On his back, against Jones, overpowered, outweighed...Jones' elbows...:paranoid: This could get ugly.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/28/3274313/anderson-silva-vs-georges-st-pierre-gsp-loses-condit

Anderson Silva Wants Georges St. Pierre Even If He Loses To Carlos Condit

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva apparently has Georges St. Pierre firmly in his sights, and believes that the outcome of GSP's expected UFC 154 bout with Carlos Condit doesn't matter. In an interview with Sport TV, Anderson made it clear that he wants to face GSP next even if he loses to Condit:

"Regardless of who wins, even if St. Pierre loses, a fight with me can happen. A fight like this is above anything else. St. Pierre is one of the greatest of the UFC. Right now, a fight with Condit is meaningless."

Silva has been in the news a lot lately. He defeated his nemesis Chael Sonnen at UFC 148, and apparently turned down a bout with top contender Chris Weidman because it didn't interest him. His camp brought up names like GSP and Rich Franklin instead, and lately it's been GSP he's focusing on. Silva also reportedly offered to step up and fight at light heavyweight at UFC 151 to save the card, even though he was out of shape.

The bout with GSP would likely take place at a 178-pound catchweight.

I definitely wouldn't expect GSP to lose to Condit but it's awesome to hear Anderson talk about this fight openly and with optimism about it happening.

Also the last line says it would likely be at 178, wtf? Why would Anderson drop down 7 additional pounds, shouldn't GSP move up in weight?

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/28/3274313/anderson-silva-vs-georges-st-pierre-gsp-loses-condit

I definitely wouldn't expect GSP to lose to Condit but it's awesome to hear Anderson talk about this fight openly and with optimism about it happening.

Also the last line says it would likely be at 178, wtf? Why would Anderson drop down 7 additional pounds, shouldn't GSP move up in weight?

Because GSP is scared. So this way GSP has no reason to decline the fight.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/19935478/whites-mishandling-of-ufc-151-proves-that-ufcs-competitors-need-a-union

White's mishandling of UFC 151 proves that UFC's competitors need a union

img19935407.jpg

UFC fighters are some of the toughest athletes on the planet, but they're scared of Dana White. (US Presswire)

They're suckers, these UFC fighters. They've been brainwashed by Dana White and are too naïve to know it, and it pains me to say that because I love this sport and the fighters who do it. Professional athletes don't come more accessible or honest.

But they don't come more brainwashed, either. That's my conclusion from the fiasco of UFC 151, which was scheduled for Saturday in Las Vegas but canceled late last week because the UFC tried to milk a pay-per-view card out of one marketable fight, and when that fight fell through eight days ahead of time -- and fights fall through all the time -- the flimsy card fell apart.

This was the UFC's fault. This was UFC president Dana White's fault.

But he said it was light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones' fault -- and other UFC fighters believed him.

This is why they need a union. That's the takeaway from this UFC 151 fiasco -- not that Jon Jones is a chicken or Chael Sonnen is a gangster. The takeaway is that UFC fighters need unity. They need strength in numbers. What they need is someone to look out for their interests, because Lord knows these guys can't do it themselves.

The back-story: Jones' opponent for UFC 151, Dan Henderson, withdrew last week because of a knee injury. White found a replacement in Sonnen, a fascinating talker who has zero business fighting for the 205-pound title. Sonnen has had two title fights in his past four appearances and lost them both -- at 185 pounds. Somehow a 185-pound fighter coming off a lopsided loss, a guy who doesn't deserve to fight for the 185-pound title, probably ever again, talked his way into a title fight in a heavier weight class.

Bully for Chael Sonnen, but what was Jon Jones supposed to do? Take a no-win fight, a fight that does nothing for him if he wins but sets his career back a year or more -- and the shelf life of a fighter is measured in years, not decades -- if he loses?

And Jones could lose to Sonnen -- not because Sonnen is all of a sudden the most dangerous fighter ever, two paragraphs after I said he's unworthy of this title shot. No, Sonnen could win because anyone can win in this sport, at this level. The gloves are so small, the techniques so violent, the action so unpredictable. Chael Sonnen could do like Matt Serra did to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 69 or like Gabriel Gonzaga did to Mirko Cro Cop at UFC 70 and land a lucky blow and win the damn thing.

Point being, Jones would have been risking everything -- his belt, his reputation, his short-term career -- to take a no-upside fight on eight days notice. So Jones said no.

And the meatheads revolted.

The revolt was led by King Meathead himself, Dana White, who I like very much when he's not embarrassing his sport with a profane or misogynistic rant on camera or Twitter or wherever he goes to lose his mind. White lost his damn mind Thursday when UFC 151 fell through, putting the blame -- all of it -- on Jon Jones.

Never mind that there wasn't one fight on the card worthy of elevating to the main event once Jones-Henderson fell through. Even with Jones-Henderson, UFC 151 was being panned as one of the worst PPV cards in UFC history. Anything can happen once the cage door shuts, but on paper this card was a rip-off at $24.95 -- and the UFC was charging $54.95. Dana White and his partners have grown transparently greedy, putting on cards at an increasing pace, and the results are weak, watered-down shows unable to survive if the wrong fight falls through.

This is not Jon Jones' fault.

(Click link for entire article)

I'm still a Jon Jones fan. I think it's the most baffling amount hatred I've ever seen in my life, the scrutiny he gets. When I listen to him, I hear a nice humble young man. To me, Chael Sonnen is the one who can be the ****iest ******* you'll ever hear. When I was young, playing sports all year around, we were taught to carry ourselves like Jon does, not how Chael does.

I'm still a Jon Jones fan. I think it's the most baffling amount hatred I've ever seen in my life, the scrutiny he gets. When I listen to him, I hear a nice humble young man. To me, Chael Sonnen is the one who can be the ****iest ******* you'll ever hear. When I was young, playing sports all year around, we were taught to carry ourselves like Jon does, not how Chael does.

Honestly, if he wasn't so dominant in the cage, I don't think he would get half the criticism he gets. Seems to me since people can't find much to criticize about his abilities, they dissect every syllable that comes out of his mouth.

Edited by StillUnknown