Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Huh? Henderson mopped the cage with Miller. The main event was a slugfest. Very close until Hardy lost his mind completely and shot in.

I think either fight could've been FOTN. I thought Miller put Henderson in danger of subs more than he got credit for, but I agree that the Bendo fight was more lopsided than Hardy/Lytle.

Plus it was a fitting ending to Lytle's career. He was standing there banging all fight, then when Hardy is landing and moving him backwards he shoots a takedown and gets submitted with less than a minute left. Couldn't have written that better...except maybe if Hardy was winning the fight when that happened.

Edited by #98QBKiller

I'm a technique snob, bad kickboxing does little for me.

Miller did nothing with the kimura position, had absolutely no success with rubber guard, tried locking in two low-percentage submissions (heel hook/kneebar), and almost got choked out, too. He also got his face mashed in constantly. Hardy and Lytle are a couple of gatekeepers, but they did put together a good fight upstairs. It was sweet to see that right body shot/left hook to the head combo that Lytle kept landing flush. Both were tagging each other pretty consistently. Hardy keeps his chin up and isn't concerned enough about defensive techniques, but he does have some good hands. Lytle was definitely stung a couple of times, both displayed good chins.

It does raise an interesting point, though. Should the UFC give out a bonus for "Performance of the Night"? Say, only Ben Henderson gets a bonus because he dominated his opponent so decisively. I think that's a pretty damn good idea if I do say so myself. I just don't think you can give a bonus to Jim Miller for his performance last night.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

It does raise an interesting point, though. Should the UFC give out a bonus for "Performance of the Night"? Say, only Ben Henderson gets a bonus because he dominated his opponent so decisively. I think that's a pretty damn good idea if I do say so myself. I just don't think you can give a bonus to Jim Miller for his performance last night.

They do give that bonus. In two different forms: KO of the night and Sub of the night. I would never support a bonus for not finishing a fight.

They do give that bonus. In two different forms: KO of the night and Sub of the night. I would never support a bonus for not finishing a fight.

Those bonuses are completely geared towards finishes-only. I'm talking about a fighter who schools his opponent and wins by ref or doctor stoppage. Or he totally dominates a fight, and doesn't have the flashiest KO or Sub of the night. Not wanting to reward a decision is understandable from a perspective, but if the card was full of mediocre fights, the bonus possibly could go to a one-sided beatdown without a finish. Probably wouldn't happen too often, though.

I think if nothing else, creating another bonus for going out there and kicking ass is a good thing.

Those bonuses are completely geared towards finishes-only. I'm talking about a fighter who schools his opponent and wins by ref or doctor stoppage. Or he totally dominates a fight, and doesn't have the flashiest KO or Sub of the night. Not wanting to reward a decision is understandable from a perspective, but if the card was full of mediocre fights, the bonus possibly could go to a one-sided beatdown without a finish. Probably wouldn't happen too often, though.

I think if nothing else, creating another bonus for going out there and kicking ass is a good thing.

A ref or Dr stoppage is a TKO. I just see this as becoming the GSP bonus and it scares me. If someone "dominates" it should mean they finish. Watching Henderson last night shows me where you are coming from, and I don't want to "punish" Henderson for Miller being one of the toughest SOBs in the history of the world, but I just can't agree with giving a bonus to someone who doesn't finish his opponent. To show you my extreme, I would rather vote for any fight that went the distance be considered a draw.

A ref or Dr stoppage is a TKO.

Right, but do those stoppages ever get KO or Sub of the night? Usually it's the flashy one that banks the dollars. Nothing towards the entirety of the fight.

I just see this as becoming the GSP bonus and it scares me. If someone "dominates" it should mean they finish.

Just my opinion, but that's simplifying it a little much. The finish doesn't tell the entire story. This bonus would be geared towards the whole fight, like the "Fight of the Night" bonus is. You already have your two finish bonuses. If someone dominates and finishes on the same card as GSP, the fight could likely win the bonus over the king pin. A finish would for all intents and purposes help propel a fighter towards that particular bonus. Hell, I just threw Henderson's name out there for argument's sake, was there another fight on the prelims that had a fighter who dominated and finished?

Watching Henderson last night shows me where you are coming from, and I don't want to "punish" Henderson for Miller being one of the toughest SOBs in the history of the world, but I just can't agree with giving a bonus to someone who doesn't finish his opponent. To show you my extreme, I would rather vote for any fight that went the distance be considered a draw.

:ols: That's pretty radical my friend, have to give that one some thought.

To show you my extreme, I would rather vote for any fight that went the distance be considered a draw.

Is this you Sebowski?

justbleed.gif

As far as "performance of the night", I'm sure the UFC gives bonuses for things like that, its just not officially announced. Fighters have said in interviews that they were paid well above what was reported, even without a post fight award bonus, because of their performance.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/08/16/Media/UFC.aspx
In what would represent a major push into the mainstream for the UFC, Fox has agreed to a deal that will see the broadcast channel air as many as four MMA events per year, according to several sources. The multiyear deal would mark the first time the UFC will have consistent airtime on a broadcast network. Fox execs refused to comment on the deal, but sources with knowledge of the negotiations said bidding had gone as high as $90M per year. The Fox deal is believed to be for seven or eight years. As part of the deal, most of the weekly programming that UFC has on Versus and Spike TV will move to FX starting in January. That includes several fight cards, plus shows like the reality series "The Ultimate Fighter." Fox-owned Fuel also will wind up with some UFC content. But rumors that Fox will rebrand Fuel as a UFC channel are not true, sources said.

Damn! Fox, huh? NBC is taking over Versus, thought it would be them if any network scooped up the UFC.

Yeah, I thought it was moving in NBC's direction as well, but I think they were always a little leery of putting it in primetime on the mother ship. I think Fox had no problem with primetime programming and will give them the production latitude that they have wanted from a network partner. Either would have been a good partner from a cable perspective, but I think Fox probably offers better terms for the UFC from a network perspective.

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 01:41 PM ----------

Thats a huge move.

Indeed. And while NBC would be a great network to be on, I really think Fox fits the UFC's demographic a little better.

Yeah, I thought it was moving in NBC's direction as well, but I think they were always a little leery of putting it in primetime on the mother ship. I think Fox had no problem with primetime programming and will give them the production latitude that they have wanted from a network partner. Either would have been a good partner from a cable perspective, but I think Fox probably offers better terms for the UFC from a network perspective.

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 01:41 PM ----------

Indeed. And while NBC would be a great network to be on, I really think Fox fits the UFC's demographic a little better.

Give me even more reasons to watch FX. :ols:

You know Dana is going to stack the hell out of the 4 cards on FOX. I highly doubt we see something like a Munoz vs. Leben main event.

Edited by StillUnknown

This one's for Katie...

Martin Kampmann vs. Rick Story on tap for UFC 139 in San Jose

A bout between welterweight contenders who are looking to get back in the win column is in the works for UFC 139.

UFC officials today announced Martin Kampmann (17-5 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and Rick Story (13-4 MMA, 6-2 UFC) have agreed to meet at the Nov. 19 event.

UFC 139 takes place in San Jose, Calif., likely at the HP Pavilion.

The night's main card, including an expected heavyweight title fight between champion Cain Velasquez and top contender Junior Dos Santos, airs on pay-per-view. Kampmann vs. Story likely will be part of the PPV broadcast or an expected "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24852/martin-kampmann-vs-rick-story-on-top-for-ufc-139-in-san-jose.mma

Hell of a fight, IMO.

Man, that Story fight should be a good one!

And please let this happen :fingersx::

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2011/08/16/rumour-ufc-140-%E2%80%93-alistair-overeem-could-make-his-octagon-debut-against-brock-lesnar-on-december-10th-in-toronto/

RUMOUR: UFC 140 – Alistair Overeem could make his octagon debut against Brock Lesnar on December 10th in Toronto

After talking to a source close to the situation MMABay.co.uk can reveal that Strikeforce heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem is on the verge of putting pen to paper on an exclusive deal to fight inside the UFC’s octagon with his debut likely to come in December.

We spoke to a source close to “The Reem” earlier today and they explained that the wheels were in motion for the Dutchman to headline the UFC 140 card in Toronto, Ontario, Canada opposite former UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar.

We were told by the source that talks are still ongoing between Overeem’s management team and the UFC, with Golden Glory insisting that their man either competes immediately for the title or a big money fight against the promotions biggest Pay-Per-View draw in Lesnar.

We must stress that talks are ongoing at the minute between all parties and is in no way confirmed as happening. Stay tuned to MMABay in the coming weeks for more news on this as we get it.