Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

i wouldn't have a problem with what they're doing to Arlovski except for the fact that the guy he beat, Werdum, is in a headline fight against Gonzaga at UFC 80 i believe. i don't understand how the guy arlovski beat, albeit a boring decision, gets a major fight before him. Its not like Werdum did anything of worth in that fight (excluding the infamous pimp slap :laugh: )

Yeah, maybe the UFC and Arlovski's falling out has extended a little ways back. If he's going to leave, why give him a headline fight? It'll only be advertising him for the future when he fights in another org.

"War Machine" pleads guilty to felony assault charge

link:

http://signonsandiego.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=SignOnSanDiego.com+%3E+News+%3E+Metro+--+%27Ultimate+Fighting%27+star+pleads+guilty+to+assault+charge&expire=&urlID=25410269&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.signonsandiego.com%2Fnews%2Fmetro%2F20071213-1621-bn13fight2.html&partnerID=621

By Angelica Martinez

UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM

4:21 p.m. December 13, 2007

SAN DIEGO – Jon Koppenhaver, known as “War Machine” from Spike TV's reality series “The Ultimate Fighter,” pleaded guilty Thursday in Superior Court to a felony assault charge.

The professional cage-fighter choked a Las Vegas man unconscious and hit him in the face outside San Diego's Undisputed fitness and training center early Sept. 2.

Koppenhaver also faced a battery charge, but that was dismissed as part of a plea agreement reached during the preliminary hearing Thursday afternoon.

The victim, Darren Zatkow, testified during the hearing that he was visiting San Diego with his then-girlfriend when he was assaulted outside the fitness club after a night of drinks on the town.

Zatkow said he made a joke as he walked out with friends, calling a group of men standing outside the club without shirts “tough guys” while holding his hands up to his shoulders with palms open before he was surrounded by the men. “I cracked a joke and I got hit for it,” Zatkow said.

Zatkow said he was grabbed from behind in a carotid choke and dragged a few feet by one of the men. Zatkow said he did not see who grabbed him.

Zatkow, who practices martial arts but has never competed in tournaments, said he became unconscious 10 seconds after he was choked and came to moments later. Friends of Zatkow's who testified said he was punched in the face while he lay unconscious on the ground.

San Diego Police Detective Fernando Ramirez said a Las Vegas doctor who saw Zatkow days after the assault determined that the facial blow caused four fractures to his left eye socket. The injuries could cause temporary or permanent nerve damage, Ramirez said. The extent of the injury is not yet known because Zatkow is still recovering, he said.

Koppenhaver, 26, of Simi Valley, is skilled in mixed martial arts, according to his profile on the Ultimate Fighting Championship Web site, and also is a resident trainer for San Diego's Undisputed club.

Last week, he won with a technical knockout against Jared Rollins in the third round of Spike TV's Ultimate Fighter Finale held in Nevada.

Judge Frank Brown said the change in plea could result in a misdemeanor punishment. Zatkow told the court he thought a reduced punishment was OK because he believed a felony conviction would destroy Koppenhaver's career.

“I'm not interested in destroying somebody's life,” Zatkow said, noting that fighting should stay in the ring.

Koppenhaver is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 7 at 1:30 p.m.

:doh:

What a dope. Saddest thing in the world is wasted talent. His fight against Rollins was a classic. Dumb, dumb move.

Yeah, maybe the UFC and Arlovski's falling out has extended a little ways back. If he's going to leave, why give him a headline fight? It'll only be advertising him for the future when he fights in another org.

I am SO dying to see Arlovski vs. Filipovitch. Just sign them to it and throw it on the UFC 81 card NOW.

(Loser leaves the league.)

Kevin Randleman almost fully recovered:

http://punchdrunkgamer.com/index.php?view=article&catid=30%3Ainterviews&id=27%3AKevin+Randleman+4&option=com_content&Itemid=72

I can't wait to see him get back in the ring. He hasn't won a ton of fights in the past but he's fought a bunch of big names with no fear and he says that he's improved his jiu jitsu greatly, this could help him out a lot in his comeback, he's always been more of wrestler than anything. Improving his jiu jitsu could help him win some of those matches that end up on the ground. More than anything I love Randleman's energy, he comes out of his corner with everything he has, gotta love it.

http://punchdrunkgamer.com/index.php?view=article&catid=30%3Ainterviews&id=27%3AKevin+Randleman+4&option=com_content&Itemid=72

I can't wait to see him get back in the ring. He hasn't won a ton of fights in the past but he's fought a bunch of big names with no fear and he says that he's improved his jiu jitsu greatly, this could help him out a lot in his comeback, he's always been more of wrestler than anything. Improving his jiu jitsu could help him win some of those matches that end up on the ground. More than anything I love Randleman's energy, he comes out of his corner with everything he has, gotta love it.

I prefer to watch his interviews. It's like watching someone having a bad acid trip. :)

he has a who's who of mma on his fight record. he has fought damn near only the best people in the world.

face that many top guys in the industry, he'll have losses on his record.

i remember rampage saying in an interview that Randleman hit him the hardest he has ever been hit by a punch.

he had as much natural talent as anyone in the business, shame his head didn't match.

Well, here comes the end of the year event. This weekend has shaped up to be an incredible one for sports, personally.

Won't make my predictions now, but I have a few feelings towards who will win their matches. Gonna have to wait 'til the weigh-in to see if Chuck has shed a little bit of that belly.

Wow, Christmas took me out of the MMA frame of mind so I completely forgot about this weekend's event. I can't wait.

This is a can't miss card IMO. Too many good fighters matching up to be a bust. Only one I'm worried about is Chuck and Wandy. I hope Chuck is on his game and proves he's ready to climb back to the top and make an attempt at recapturing his belt.

Well, here comes the end of the year event. This weekend has shaped up to be an incredible one for sports, personally.

Won't make my predictions now, but I have a few feelings towards who will win their matches. Gonna have to wait 'til the weigh-in to see if Chuck has shed a little bit of that belly.

my only fear is that the past huge cards haven't quite been as exciting as i expected them to be (UFC: Stacked comes to mind)

i'm expecting really great things from this UFC 79. Oddly enough the match i'm most looking forward to is Sokodjou vs. Machida :laugh:

i'll drop my picks for the event after i see the weigh-ins (gotta see if Chuck is still rocking the beer gut :laugh: )

i'll drop my picks for the event after i see the weigh-ins (gotta see if Chuck is still rocking the beer gut :laugh: )

yeah, I'll make my picks tomorrow night (friday.) I'll also be in this thread during the fights if anyone else wants to chat while watching.

This is a can't miss card IMO. Too many good fighters matching up to be a bust. Only one I'm worried about is Chuck and Wandy. I hope Chuck is on his game and proves he's ready to climb back to the top and make an attempt at recapturing his belt.

I agree. Should be a hell of a night. Ive never seen Wanderlei fight live.

my only fear is that the past huge cards haven't quite been as exciting as i expected them to be (UFC: Stacked comes to mind)

i'm expecting really great things from this UFC 79. Oddly enough the match i'm most looking forward to is Sokodjou vs. Machida :laugh:

Stacked wasn't as exciting as it read on paper, I agree. The championship fights are what hyped it up. Those fights had no bad blood, no ounce of history to them, and the champs were heavily favored. You have even matchups this time. St. Pierre and Hughes in a rubber match for a belt. I see the Chuck/Wandie fight having a hard time not being historic, no matter what happends. Then Soko is fighting a technical master in Machida. Two fighters that questions still revolve around.

Yet Soko and Machida seems like a big mismatch. I'm not sold on Soko, but Machida hasn't fought anybody like him yet.

Just a reminder - Weigh in is at 7 P.M. ET.

Catch the live stream here: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventdetail.home&eid=480

Click on the tabs that say "Launch UFC Weigh-Ins". The mouse arrow won't change to a hand pointing a finger, just click on one of them.

Here is a good interview from Sherdog with Chuck about tonight.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1377

No way silva beats liddell.....even with liddell losing a couple fights in a row. Silva sucks plain and simple.

What! :laugh:

Silva is one of the most ruthless ass kickers in the history of mma. He lost to Cro Cop and Henderson back to back. Cro Cop sucks now, but he didn't in Pride. Before Henderson put him to the mat, it was a long war - with both guys getting hit a lot. Silva is an animal.

I just think Chuck should have an advantage here with Silva's lunging style and Chuck's backpedalling counter-punching technique. Silva has short arms and will need to dive in to Chuck. Although, I simply have a gut feeling that Wanderlei will win this. I'll reserve judgment until after the weigh in.