Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

i think he knows in his mind what he wants to do, his body just isn't responding as fast as he would like

Exactly. I have always been a huge CC fan, but I think it is about time for him to hang them up. You can see that he still sees the openings, but he just does not have the quickness to exploit them anymore. So he either hesitates and does nothing, or he throws a kick or a punch that does not have the same power behind it anymore. He could probably kick around the UFC for a few years and battle mid-carders, winning some and losing some, but I dont think he, or the fans want that. Unless something changes in the nex few months, I see Rothwell winning this fight.

As for Barry, that is ridiculous. I really like the guy and am pulling for him to succeed. But I also really wish he would try to move to LHW. That just seems like it would be a better destination for him, although he seems reluctant to do it.

Really, 99? I don't think it's good to see Cro Cop come back any more because it's never a comeback for him these days. It's always either controversy or defeat or both. He's clearly not mentally tough enough anymore to hack the UFC. If Mustapha Al-Turk is the only guy he's faced that's got less going for him than Mirko (and he had to smash Turk's genitals just to win that fight) then what is there for Cro Cop in the UFC?- other than money, of course but that's not enough for CC fans.

I think more than anything it's just my homerism showing through. I'm always glad to hear he's fighting but he really has taken a step backward. I agree with the others that it's more due to age and the toll that years of fighting have taken on his body. But if he isn't facing a complete scrub these days he either loses or the fight ends controversially. The Turk thing was an eye-poke BTW. With which there are some disgusting pics floating around online. :(

The Turk thing was an eye-poke BTW. With which there are some disgusting pics floating around online. :(

Ah yes. Eye-poke. And then Dos Santos was also an eye-poke, right? C'mon, Mirko. You better show some major fire and get a clear-cut victory over Rothwell or it's curtains from this fan.

Ah yes. Eye-poke. And then Dos Santos was also an eye-poke, right? C'mon, Mirko. You better show some major fire and get a clear-cut victory over Rothwell or it's curtains from this fan.

Yes, the shot to the stones was actually against Mirko from Overeem in Dream.

Edited by lovetoaster

Jacare vs. Lindland + King Mo debut on Dec. Strikeforce Card

Strikeforce is headed home for the holidays.

As first reported by MMAWeekly.com, the promotion has slated its next major Showtime card for Dec. 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Two bouts have so far been confirmed for the year-end event.

A long rumored bout between middleweights Matt Lindland and Ronaldo "Jacare" de Souza will grace the event's main card, and Sengoku veteran Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal will make his Strikeforce debut against an unnamed opponent.

The match-ups were confirmed by Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker via MMAJunkie and subsequently confirmed Thursday by Strikeforce Communications Director Mike Afromowitz.

Afromowitz said a headliner is still in the works for the December event.

Lindland (27-6) in August signed a three-fight deal with the promotion following the end of Affliction's fight promotion business. The Olympic silver medalist fared roughly in a January appearance for the defunct promotion, suffering a brutal knockout at the hands of Vitor Belfort, who later signed with the UFC, his former home.

Since his contentious release from the UFC in 2005, Lindland has surfed the free agent waters, going 4-3 in a series of start-up promotions that unanimously folded.

De Souza (13-2-1) signed with Strikeforce in tandem with Lindland after a five-fight stint in Dream that ended on a sour note after a no contest against Jason "Mayhem" Miller in May and a knockout loss to middleweight champion Gegard Mousasi last September.

Prior to that, the 2005 Abu Dhabi submission champ had been unbeaten in four years of competition.

Lawal (5-0) found success overseas in the Japanese promotion Sengoku after a decorated collegiate wrestling career. The former NCAA Division II champion was in the running to face Gegard Mousasi at this weekend's "Fedor vs. Rogers" card in suburban Chicago, but elected to make his debut in December.

Strikeforce is putting together some good cards. If they land Hendo, who knows how far their potential reaches.

I am a big Hendo fan, and I think he is going to end up in Strikeforce. But I will admit, I will be a little disappointed. I have nothing against Strikeforce, and will always pull for Hendo, but I just do not see that many fights there for him right now.

A fight with Mousasi would be great but that is really the only one I would get really excited for. Maybe Lawler, but not really. He is 39, he does not have much time left. if he were 29, it would be a different story. But fights with Anderson Silva, Marquardt and Belfort are more than SF can offer right now.

Hendo does not have a few years to be the focus as they build up the division. And I thought he really wanted to avenge the loss to Silva. If he makes the move, that will never happen.

But with these negotiations, I have learned never to believe anything until the ink is dry on a contract. I mean CroCop is back in Dream and Tito is fighting for EliteXC right? :D

I am a big Hendo fan, and I think he is going to end up in Strikeforce. But I will admit, I will be a little disappointed. I have nothing against Strikeforce, and will always pull for Hendo, but I just do not see that many fights there for him right now.

A fight with Mousasi would be great but that is really the only one I would get really excited for. Maybe Lawler, but not really. He is 39, he does not have much time left. if he were 29, it would be a different story. But fights with Anderson Silva, Marquardt and Belfort are more than SF can offer right now.

Hendo does not have a few years to be the focus as they build up the division. And I thought he really wanted to avenge the loss to Silva. If he makes the move, that will never happen.

But with these negotiations, I have learned never to believe anything until the ink is dry on a contract. I mean CroCop is back in Dream and Tito is fighting for EliteXC right? :D

i think hendo's probably a bit pissed that Vitor jumped in line for the title shot. he said he was promised a shot if he beat Bisping.

i think hendo's probably a bit pissed that Vitor jumped in line for the title shot. he said he was promised a shot if he beat Bisping.

You are right, and I would be pissed if I were him too. But jumping to another organization would probably mean that he would never face Silva, whereas in the UFC, if he beat Marquardt, that would have been his next fight.

It is like he has two options: either the oppportunity to accomplish a huge goal is either one fight away with the UFC (worst case scenario), or impossible with Strikeforce.

Anderson's injury has also thrown a monkey wrench into everything. I heard that the Belfort fight might not happen at all for a while which leaves an opportunity for Dan to get back in the mix with Anderson. I think the injury gave Dana an excuse to reassess things a little, given the backlash that came with Vitor jumping Hendo.

The other annoying thing for UFC fans is that Spider's injury could have set up Vitor vs. Hendo but even that won't happen if Dan heads to StrikeForce.

Vitor vs. Wandy 2 anyone? Meh... :jerk:

I'd actually like to see that fight but it wouldn't be the same as it was 5-6 years ago. Basically, it's lost it's zeal IMO.

if/when rampage comes back, it will be with the UFC. "retiring" doesn't mean you can switch organizations, just ask Randy Couture

Too true, Sir. I was actually making a statement about how many rematches or old Pride guys seem to be necessary for Hendo to stay interesting. He's fought everyone and I only seem to want to see him fight the guys he should have fought 5+ years ago.

i'm watching strikeforce challengers, 2 HW's are fighting

one guy is getting the hell beat out of him for 3 minutes, then manages to come back and catch the other guy in an omaplata and actually got the submission

one of the very few times i've seen someone actually finish the omaplata in MMA

Strikeforce Predicitions:

Antonio Silva vs. Fabricio Werdum: Werdum will want to get this to the ground where he is better than almost anyone in the world at HW. neither of these guys are that impressive standing, but werdum's edge on the ground should be enough win this

Werdum by Submission, 2nd Round

Gegard Mousasi vs. Sokoudjou: Mousasi basically just has to survive the initial burst from Sokoudjou. after that it'll be easy pickings for Mousasi, who has the edge standing and on the ground. Sokoudjou has the power to end the fight early, but i dont think he will

Mousasi by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Jake Shields vs. Mayhem Miller: Miller is no slouch on the ground, but Shields holds a considerable edge in that area. Shields' standup is remedial at best, so Mayhem will want to do everything he can to keep it standing. i dont think he will be able to though.

Shields by Submission, 3rd Round

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers: its hard to see where Rogers has the advantage in the fight. he possesses the power to end any fight with one punch, but thats literally his only chance at winning this fight. Rogers doesn't offer anything Fedor hasn't seen and beaten in his career. Basically this comes down to how Fedor wants to end the fight, he too possesses the power to KO anybody at HW. if he wants to make it easy on himself, he can use his sambo to take Rogers down and proceed to add another arm to his collection

Fedor by Submission (armbar), 1st Round

Strikeforce Predicitions:

Antonio Silva vs. Fabricio Werdum: Werdum will want to get this to the ground where he is better than almost anyone in the world at HW. neither of these guys are that impressive standing, but werdum's edge on the ground should be enough win this

Werdum by Submission, 2nd Round

Gegard Mousasi vs. Sokoudjou: Mousasi basically just has to survive the initial burst from Sokoudjou. after that it'll be easy pickings for Mousasi, who has the edge standing and on the ground. Sokoudjou has the power to end the fight early, but i dont think he will

Mousasi by (T)KO, 2nd Round

Jake Shields vs. Mayhem Miller: Miller is no slouch on the ground, but Shields holds a considerable edge in that area. Shields' standup is remedial at best, so Mayhem will want to do everything he can to keep it standing. i dont think he will be able to though.

Shields by Submission, 3rd Round

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers: its hard to see where Rogers has the advantage in the fight. he possesses the power to end any fight with one punch, but thats literally his only chance at winning this fight. Rogers doesn't offer anything Fedor hasn't seen and beaten in his career. Basically this comes down to how Fedor wants to end the fight, he too possesses the power to KO anybody at HW. if he wants to make it easy on himself, he can use his sambo to take Rogers down and proceed to add another arm to his collection

Fedor by Submission (armbar), 1st Round

Damn, I was going to post my picks but they're basically the same as yours.

My only differences:

I'm going to take Mousasi in round 1, he's finished 4 in a row early and I expect no less against Sokoudjou.

I'm predicting that Shields gets his first TKO win in two years tonight, and it happens in round 2.

I have this little itch inside me that keeps saying "Go wild card, pick Rogers."

I'm trying to just scratch that itch and do what logic screams to do. Fedor in 2 rounds. RNC or guillotine.

Yeah I've been having that too, but I get that when most top P4P guys fight...I picked Forrest over Anderson. :doh: