Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Machida deserves his title shot ASAP. I see him ripping Rashad apart. Could this perhaps be an event for UFC 100?

if Rampage looks impressive against Jardine, he'll probably get the shot at Rashad first, or at least thats what dana said earlier this week.

Machida is MMA's version of Floyd Mayweather, someone who understand the name of the game is to hit and not get hit

Machida deserves his title shot ASAP. I see him ripping Rashad apart. Could this perhaps be an event for UFC 100?

Sadly they are waiting to see if Rampage wins. IF he wins then he gets the next title shot.

Meanwhile Machida has beat soko, tito and silva in his last 3 fights.

6-0 UFC.

I totally agree, he needs to get a title shot ASAP

The reason BJ Penn is my favorite fighter is because he wants to fight the best. He seeks out the best and don't care about size,strenght or weight he just loves to fight. He coulda very easily stayed at 155lbs and dominated but no he wanted a challenge he wanted the top dog.

After he beat Sherk he did'nt say i wanna fight the best Kenny Florian he said i want GSP.

Tonight GSP says i want to fight the best Thiago Alves that is the difference. I was hoping and been telling my girl all week that if GSP wants to be the best after the fight he needs to call out Anderson Silva.

That is the fight i wanted to see more then BJ vs GSP when most knew the outcome. That fight brings far more intrique and uncertainty.

Sorry for the rant but thats the difference between my favorite 2 fighters.

I don't think the UFC wants Machida to get a title shot. The guy isn't their proto-type fighter. He's done more to earn a title shot than anyone and he's still not going to get it. The guy doesn't just beat people.... he leaves the ring as clean as he walked in it.

The stats show that no one has taken less hits than Machida per fight. The guy is a friggin ninja.

The reason BJ Penn is my favorite fighter is because he wants to fight the best. He seeks out the best and don't care about size,strenght or weight he just loves to fight. He coulda very easily stayed at 155lbs and dominated but no he wanted a challenge he wanted the top dog.

After he beat Sherk he did'nt say i wanna fight the best Kenny Florian he said i want GSP.

Tonight GSP says i want to fight the best Thiago Alves that is the difference. I was hoping and been telling my girl all week that if GSP wants to be the best after the fight he needs to call out Anderson Silva.

That is the fight i wanted to see more then BJ vs GSP when most knew the outcome. That fight brings far more intrique and uncertainty.

Sorry for the rant but thats the difference between my favorite 2 fighters.

Sorry but what do you mean "that's the difference?"

number 1 BJ hates fighting at LW, he wants to fight at WW.

number 2, you knock a guy cuz he doesn't call people out? Instead he just mows through everyone the UFC puts in front of him.

number 3, he said he wants GSP because he truly believed he was the better fighter. BJ himself said when he came back he wanted to stay at WW but Dana made him move down to LW. He was doing nothing more then calling out the person, who in his eyes robbed him of a victory the first time.

Don't get me wrong, BJ is my second favorite fighter. I want him to win against everyone else besides GSP.

And it was good he got his ass beat. He needed a serious reality check.

There is a fine line between wanting to fight the best, and being a retard by fighting anybody in any weight class.

i'm not sure i would say he deserves the shot more than Rampage does. Page lost it on razor thin decision (a fight alot of people felt should've gone his way)

i can make equally strong cases for Rampage or Machida at this point.

I totallly agre SU but here's the thing. Machida is now available. Rampage doesnt fight until march. That's extra waiting time for nothing. Give Machida a shot, then if Rampage wins he gets to fight for the belt.

It's all about the timing. So right now we are waiting for Rampage to fight in a month and a half from now to see if he wins.

If they both did not have a fight signed, then sure. But that's not the case. Machida can fight for it now, so give it to him.

I totallly agre SU but here's the thing. Machida is now available. Rampage doesnt fight until march. That's extra waiting time for nothing. Give Machida a shot, then if Rampage wins he gets to fight for the belt.

It's all about the timing. So right now we are waiting for Rampage to fight in a month and a half from now to see if he wins.

If they both did not have a fight signed, then sure. But that's not the case. Machida can fight for it now, so give it to him.

i think Dana wants the LHW title to be defended at UFC 100 in july. if Rampage wins his fight, it gives sufficient time for training. if they belt is defended before that, the likelihood of it being on 100 as well is minimal.

Dana's gonna wanna go all out for the UFC 100 card and Rashad/Rampage is more marketable than Rashad/Machida.

when you have a situation in which 2 guys clearly deserve a title shot, common sense dictates you're going to go with the matchup that will sell more.

Machida will get his shot, i just don't think he gets it before Rampage

and if Rampage should somehow lose to Jardine, the point becomes moot and Machida will definitely be fighting Rashad at UFC 100

Oh my god the excuses are already starting.

It seems BJ suffered a broken rib, jaw and nose.

Of course! that's why he was owned.

Nevermind the fact that it was GSP who INFLICTED that damage, which is the whole point of a fight to begin with.

That's like saying Silva suffered a broken face, that's why he sucked in the fight tonight.

lol wow

i'm still kinda disappointed in the card overall.

only the Karo fight was close, and even that wasn't that exciting.

dominant win & performances from GSP & Machida though. i was just expecting a little better back and forth action

agree 100%.

What did you think about the guida diaz fight?

I'm upset because Nate was the one who was actually trying to finish the fight. IMO guida didnt do anything the entire fight.

Overall the card sucked. What can you do tho, they cant all be great cards.

Oh and I see what your saying about UFC 100, if that is there plan.

guida didn't do any damage, but he completely dictated the pace of the fight and controlled where the fight went at all time. Diaz didn't really damage him until the 3rd round with strikes but even then he couldn't stop guida from dictating the action.

its one of those fights in which neither guy hurt or threatened the other, but you have to give the decision to guida because he controlled the entire fight.

i left out Jon Jones on my list, very impressed by his performance as well. he threw Bonnar like a rag doll for 10minutes. hopefully he works on his cardio because he could be a beast in a couple of years. i just hope the UFC takes their time with him, he's only 21, there's no need to throw him to the wolves of the division

Edited by StillUnknown

I don't know if you realize this, but it's actually a big no-no to call out fighters above your weight class. It's considered highly disrespectful, especially when you are not only calling out someone above you in weight, but you are calling out the best one at that weight.

There are exceptions to the rule, like if the guy at the weight above is talking **** to the lower weight, but GSP was not antagonistically talking crap toward Penn. Penn's an arrogant asshat and he proved that when he essentially called out GSP after taking the LW title and continued with his BS talk tour leading up to tonight. I didn't think he'd get stomped like he did in this fight, but I'm glad he did. He needs a good dose of humility.

Now, if a fight promoter thinks it would be a good matchup to have the top dog at a smaller weight move up to fight the top dog at the weight class above, especially when there is a history between the two, that's another story. They negotiate behind the scenes, set up the fight, then promote the hell out of it as a grudge match. That was also the case with this GSP/Penn #2 match, but I still thought Penn went about everything in an arrogant and disrespectful manner, that's why I've just never liked the guy.

Bottom line, faulting someone for not calling out the title holder in the weight class above them is kind of ridiculous. Honestly. Why would you think that's necessary? If that fight eventually gets set up by the promoters, so be it, but don't act like a jackass and call someone bigger than you out after a fight. That's not something respectable fighters like GSP or Silva do.

I don't know if you realize this, but it's actually a big no-no to call out fighters above your weight class. It's considered highly disrespectful, especially when you are not only calling out someone above you in weight, but you are calling out the best one at that weight.

There are exceptions to the rule, like if the guy at the weight above is talking **** to the lower weight, but GSP was not antagonistically talking crap toward Penn. Penn's an arrogant asshat and he proved that when he essentially called out GSP after taking the LW title and continued with his BS talk tour leading up to tonight. I didn't think he'd get stomped like he did in this fight, but I'm glad he did. He needs a good dose of humility.

Now, if a fight promoter thinks it would be a good matchup to have the top dog at a smaller weight move up to fight the top dog at the weight class above, especially when there is a history between the two, that's another story. They negotiate behind the scenes, set up the fight, then promote the hell out of it as a grudge match. That was also the case with this GSP/Penn #2 match, but I still thought Penn went about everything in an arrogant and disrespectful manner, that's why I've just never liked the guy.

Bottom line, faulting someone for not calling out the title holder in the weight class above them is kind of ridiculous. Honestly. Why would you think that's necessary? If that fight eventually gets set up by the promoters, so be it, but don't act like a jackass and call someone bigger than you out after a fight. That's not something respectable fighters like GSP or Silva do.

He can do it in a very respectful way. He could say i want to challenge myself againest the best fighter in the UFC in Anderson Silva.

GSP has nothing to prove at WW he is way bigger and stronger then those guys.

After Thiago really what is left for him?

He will take Thiago down and beat him the same way he beat BJ. After that then what?

Just like Silva going to 205 to test himself he has no comp. The only reason he has'nt stayed up at 205 is Machida is his very good friend who he feels deserves the titleshot.

GSP vs Anderson at 185lbs is a mega superfight. The fight is the best matchup the UFC could put together at this point. GSP could hold both belts with a victory and really make a name for himself.

he can do it in a very respectful way. He could say i want to challenge myself againest the best fighter in the ufc in anderson silva.

i never said there wasn't a proper way to go about setting up these matches. My main point was directed at how you had told your girl or your friends or whatever that gsp better call out silva if he beats penn. I was saying that going abaout things that way is really uncool and respectable fighters don't do that.

gsp has nothing to prove at ww he is way bigger and stronger then those guys.

gsp has nothing to prove, period. Clearly, he's the most dominant ww since hughes...and a lot more well-rounded.

after thiago really what is left for him? He will take thiago down and beat him the same way he beat bj. After that then what?

i don't know, i'm more of a cross-the-bridge when we get there. You're already looking past thiago like he's a gimme. I think gsp would win that fight, but thiago is still a fighter, nothing is a given in the sport...heck, look at the serra fight.

just like silva going to 205 to test himself he has no comp. The only reason he has'nt stayed up at 205 is machida is his very good friend who he feels deserves the titleshot.

you right. This would be b/c silva is a respectable athlete.

gsp could hold both belts with a victory and really make a name for himself. He already has really made a name for himself.

as far as going up and down weight classes, although it draws in the spectators, personally, i'm not a big fan of it at all.

Edited by Special K

Spider?

IMO GSP cataupluted past Spider with that peformance. First of all Spider has only fought two top tier fighters in Franklin and Hendo, that's it. GSP crushed two of the best wrestlers in MMA and destroyed the darling of the UFC last night in BJ Penn. Maybe Dana will finally take Baby J's junk out of his mouth. I will say this though, BJ has one hell of a chin.

Boys and girls learn a lesson from this, don't talk so much **** if you can't at least back it up. Who's a biatch now BJ, who's the biatch?

Machida also put on one hell of a dominant performance. Did he even get hit the entire match? They've awaken the Dragon! I honestly don't see him getting beat @ 205 with the current crop of fighters.

Imagine Fedor dropping 25lbs, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You guys hear GSP's strategy? If that's true... that is some seriously well thought out game plan. Lean on his shoulder to slow his jab and attack him in the stand up in the later rounds? Nice!

It was a great gameplan for sure. It was the exact way I saw GSP being able to win the fight: do what he did the last two rounds of the first fight. He used his extra 20ilbs to wear Penn down and then he broke Penn just like Penn said he was going to break GSP. I am not trying to take anything at all away from GSP, but I am dissapointed that he gameplan was to exploit the weight difference. To me that is waht stop s me from putting him up there with Fedor in the p4p rankings. Hard to judge that fight on the p4p list when the main reason he won was that he had 20 more lbs than his opponent.

p4p:

1. Fedor

Tied for 2 & 3 GSP and Anderson

4. Machida

Machida was awesome again last night. He weighed in at 206 too which mean he is filling out. He probably still doesn't cut much weight, but at least he isn't 203 withough a cut like he has been. There isn't anyone at 205 that I would pick against him (thinking of Anderson at 185. They are buddies and won't fight anyway).

Penn needs to rethink his career now. I still see him being able to dominate 155. There is no one at 155 that can mimic what GSP did last night. The problem is that I don't see BJ staying motivated to dominate 155. He might as well go back to partying. He can beat The Flo hung over.

Also wanted to add that BJ needs to re-evaluate who he is training with if he really wants to compete against guys as big as GSP. He should have been the one bringing in champs from higher weight classes to train for this fight. He should have had 200lb guys leaning on him for hrs at a time in preparation for this. Bubble UFC guys don't cut it as training partners when you are fighting the best.

Also wanted to add that BJ needs to re-evaluate who he is training with if he really wants to compete against guys as big as GSP. He should have been the one bringing in champs from higher weight classes to train for this fight. He should have had 200lb guys leaning on him for hrs at a time in preparation for this. Bubble UFC guys don't cut it as training partners when you are fighting the best.

IMO that was the biggest difference in the fight last night compared to their first fight. You saw on the show on Spike how many quality fighters GSP has been training with. All that work definitely paid dividends in the ass whooping of Penn.

He can do it in a very respectful way. He could say i want to challenge myself againest the best fighter in the UFC in Anderson Silva.

GSP has nothing to prove at WW he is way bigger and stronger then those guys.

After Thiago really what is left for him?

He will take Thiago down and beat him the same way he beat BJ. After that then what?

Just like Silva going to 205 to test himself he has no comp. The only reason he has'nt stayed up at 205 is Machida is his very good friend who he feels deserves the titleshot.

GSP vs Anderson at 185lbs is a mega superfight. The fight is the best matchup the UFC could put together at this point. GSP could hold both belts with a victory and really make a name for himself.

After Alves there is no one right now. It is perfectly setup for a clash with Anderson. Thiago does have a good chance at playing spoiler though. GSP's chin is his weakness. When he gets hit it shows, and Alves hits as hard as anyone. He is also probably the only guy in the division bigger than GSP. Too bad his wrestling sucks though. GSP will probably take him down and grind him out. GSP won't be able to clinch with Alves because of his killer Mai Thai. He will have to use more traditional wrestling to get his takedowns.

After Alves there is no one right now. It is perfectly setup for a clash with Anderson. Thiago does have a good chance at playing spoiler though. GSP's chin is his weakness. When he gets hit it shows, and Alves hits as hard as anyone. He is also probably the only guy in the division bigger than GSP. Too bad his wrestling sucks though. GSP will probably take him down and grind him out. GSP won't be able to clinch with Alves because of his killer Mai Thai. He will have to use more traditional wrestling to get his takedowns.

I can see the fight going two ways.

First, GSP knows going in he can't just stand up with him, so he takes him down the first few seconds of each round and beats his ass.

OR: GSP looks at Alves as a challenge and tries to stand up with him. If it's not going well, then he takes him down and beats his ass.

Either way, unless GSP makes a mistake and leaves himself open, and Thiago connects with a few good shots, it won't be much of a fight.