Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Cruz is the best, in all respects

Ahh he's kind of a douche. Actually not even kind of, he's an huge douche. Listened to his interview on Jason Ellis the other day and just can't stand the guy.

His recovery on the other hand is incredible and he's blessed with an incredible amount of skill. He'd be an easier guy to root for if he didn't come off like such an dickhead.

Ahh he's kind of a douche. Actually not even kind of, he's an huge douche. 

Yeah. I remember in the run-up to his rematch with Faber he was desperately trying to paint Faber in a bad light and his main issue seemed to be about Faber being more prominently featured on the poster of their first fight......it was seriously the most underwhelming "shade" thrown on someone ever.

I had it 48-47 TJ.  I gave him rounds 1,4, & 5.  Rounds 1 and 2 were close. I  felt round 3 was the only round that Cruz won without any argument.   

Tony Weeks the boxing ref was the Cruz 49-46 scorecard. 

Well if there's one big criticism of TJ in this fight it would be that he spent a little too much time fighting flat footed, trying to load up for one big shot instead of sticking to his volume-based game plan which is probably a mix of frustration in the way Cruz moves away from trouble and maybe him thinking he would simply try to time Cruz for a big shot.

When TJ was moving around and pressing action he seemed to be in control.

As far as what is next for Cruz?  A lot of people will say Faber v. Cruz III, but honestly I think Faber's days being an elite fighter are over. I was of the opinion Faber doesn't have much left in the tank for Cruz or TJ, and I am big Faber fan too (he trains right down the road from where I live).  He is a hometown "hero" but he just hasn't been the same fighter for the past few years.  Maybe he has a surprise return to greatness in him that no one knows about though.

I suppose they can feed Faber to Cruz, and TJ gets Raphael and the winner of that gets a title shot?

Edited by NoCalMike

On a second viewing, I lean more toward Dillashaw

really comes down to that 1st round though, very little to separate either man in that one. 49-46 for either fighter isn't as crazy as I thought last night. The only "definitive" round was the 5th. I don't see how any judge could give that round to Cruz.

the stats from the fight ended up being incredibly similar, the only difference reflected in Dillashaw's more varied attacks.

There will be an rematch and Dillashaw will kill him. Cruz has no power so there's no reason for TJ to worry about getting knocked out.

thats not exactly how it works. people said that same thing about Mayweather for his entire career at 140/147lbs. There is nothing that demoralizes a fighter more than constantly swinging what they think are good shots, and coming up with air.

Cruz also has one of the best fighting minds in MMA, right up there with Bones and Mighty Mouse. I think Cruz makes it more definitive in the rematch.

I wonder how much a few things color the perception of judges.  Judges score the fight live without dwelling on replays or a second viewing.  They are watching and getting a feeling of what is going on in the ring.  Who fighter is in control and which fighter is doing more damage.  I think some of the follow things hurt Dillashaw in these categories. 

- He kept falling down trying to land a head kick.  There is nothing about that which communicates control or calm.  It contributed to him looking like he was flailing at an opponent that was frustrating him.  

- He missed a lot of big punches with a nearly comical follow through which drew unnecessary attention to just how off target was.  This contrasted badly with Cruz who was quickly on to his next action regardless of his attacks landing or not. 

- Cruz took him down and did it, at times, in rapid succession.  I'm partial to the argument in MMA circles that a take down which results in no damage or submission attempts is meaningless, more so if the fighter taken down immediately pops up.  There are exceptions however like big slams, for example.  Another I think is when a fighter shows he can take down the other repeatedly enough to make it appear that he has a decided skill advantage. 

- Rogan pointed out that Cruz had some issues with his leg halfway through the fight but was too smart to show it.  Dillashaw's face however wasn't something he could hide.  His eyes were swelling from punches and his face was bloodied from a cut and he appeared to be the more damaged of the two at the conclusion of the final three rounds. 

thats not exactly how it works. people said that same thing about Mayweather for his entire career at 140/147lbs. There is nothing that demoralizes a fighter more than constantly swinging what they think are good shots, and coming up with air.

Cruz also has one of the best fighting minds in MMA, right up there with Bones and Mighty Mouse. I think Cruz makes it more definitive in the rematch.

See where I disagree is TJ went in swinging for the fences and when he settled down he started tagging Cruz. Not to mention he's going to start chopping at his legs immediately.

Don't get me wrong, Cruz is talented enough to win the re-match. I just don't think he will.

I think the reason why I would lean towards TJ in a rematch is because it looked like Cruz fought the perfect fight, while TJ was a bit hesitant and not taking advantage of openings that were there. 

TJ was lulled into fighting Cruz's kind of fight and he still managed a split decision that was close enough that could have gone either way. I think TJ was kicking himself for not being more aggressive and trading in volume striking in favor of going for "one big shot" way too much in the middle rounds of the fight.  Whenever he fought like he usually fights he was controlling the cage and landing the more effective shots.

Again, this was one of those weird fights where the guy who won looks like the guy who lost going by how they physically looked after the fight.  

Also, there was a lot of periods early in the fight when Cruz was just straight up going backwards 90% of the time.  It was being labeled as "being elusive" by Rogan & Goldberg, but I mean, of course you are going to be tough to hit if your reach is bigger and you move backwards the majority of the time.  It was an interesting contrast to the fight before (I believe during the Alvarez/Pettis fight) where they kept throwing up a graphic to show % of which fighter was moving forward vs. backwards.  I can't remember them doing that for many fights in the past but it was weird how that kind of stat/commentary is used for one fight but not the very next when a fighter is all of the sudden being praised for his "elusiveness"

Edited by NoCalMike

WERDUM PULLS OUT OF UFC 196 TITLE FIGHT

HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP FABRICIO WERDUM TOLD THE MMAFIGHTING WEBSITE THAT HAS PULLED OUT OF HIS SCHEDULED TITLE BOUT AT UFC 196 DUE TO FOOT AND BACK INJURIES. THIS COMES JUST A DAY AFTER CHALLENGER CAIN VELASQUEZ PULLED OUT AND WAS REPLACED BY STIPE MIOCIC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/a-day-after-cain-velasquez-pulls-out-of-ufc-196--fabricio-werdum-follows-suit-213707543.html

Cain Velasquez on Sunday was forced to pull out of his heavyweight title fight with Fabricio Werdum in the main event of UFC 196 because of a back injury. The UFC announced that Stipe Miocic would replace Velasquez in the Feb. 6 event. But while Miocic was doing interviews with reporters Monday, MMAFighting.com reported that Werdum himself was withdrawing from the fight.

Yahoo Sports had just hung up the phone from speaking to Miocic about the title fight with Werdum when the news came down. Miocic had knocked out Andrei Arlovski in 54 seconds on Jan. 2 at UFC 195, making him the No. 1 contender.

The fate of UFC 196 remains in the air. There is no obvious bout that could be made to replace the title fight as the main event. Miocic probably wouldn't want to fight so quickly if it wasn't a title bout, and there is no obvious match that would be considered a pay-per-view headliner.

*** More at the link ***

This sucks. Was looking forward to that fight.