Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Rousey is either done, because she'll never be able to discipline herself sufficiently to overcome the game-planning gap between her and Holm (and whoever else is capable of emulating Holm's gameplan), or she's going to get the training she needs, really buckle down, overcome her weaknesses, and beat Holm by not messing around, then proceed to continue what she was doing before 193.  She does not strike me as someone who wants to be a gatekeeper to Holm, just as Tate didn't want to be a gatekeeper to Rousey.  She might just go do the Carano thing and bail for movies and other media if she can't overcome Holm.

It's gonna be an interesting 2-3 years in women's MMA.  Between Rousey trying to right the ship, and the flurry of title defenses that Holm will have to go through, we could see some real interesting action.

Rousey is either done, because she'll never be able to discipline herself sufficiently to overcome the game-planning gap between her and Holm (and whoever else is capable of emulating Holm's gameplan), or she's going to get the training she needs, really buckle down, overcome her weaknesses, and beat Holm by not messing around, then proceed to continue what she was doing before 193.  She does not strike me as someone who wants to be a gatekeeper to Holm, just as Tate didn't want to be a gatekeeper to Rousey.  She might just go do the Carano thing and bail for movies and other media if she can't overcome Holm.

It's gonna be an interesting 2-3 years in women's MMA.  Between Rousey trying to right the ship, and the flurry of title defenses that Holm will have to go through, we could see some real interesting action.

If she gets beat in the rematch she is done. She is not going to Meisha Tate land to be a gatekeeper for Holm. She might do a catchweight fight with Cyborg to try and redeem herself then retire. 

In reality she is going to have to beat Holm twice. If she wins a rematch then you have the trilogy. I don't see her winning the rematch though. The skill gap is too large. Say they set it up for UFC 200. That gives Rousey 8 months. Minus the time spent filming the movies she has lined up. Minus the time she will have to take off to heal from the concussion and the plastic surgery. Meanwhile, while Rousey is off in Hollywood, Holm will be training with the likes of John Jones and Carlos Condit. She will be improving her anti judo techniques. Getting better in the clinch.

Rousey could train for the rest of her life and never catch up to Holm's striking. Everyone assumes that Edmond is an idiot and a horrible coach, and I am inclined to belive that. But it is possible the Rousey just can't pick up striking. She has been working with a boxing coach, out of a boxing gym for her whole career. She looked like she had no clue what was going on in there.

I think Edmond is terrible. Feels like all the fighters under him have regressed. I can see Ronda winning a rematch. She is by far still the best grappler in the division. Just got to work on setting up her takedowns better.

Who else does he coach?

Edited by StillUnknown

I think Edmond is terrible. Feels like all the fighters under him have regressed. I can see Ronda winning a rematch. She is by far still the best grappler in the division. Just got to work on setting up her takedowns better.

Yeah, running in on a straight line face first with the chin up just won't work against a woman who knows how to stick the jab & circle out.

It's worked before because most of her opponents freeze up, stand still & try and trade blows with Ronda, who's throwing punches just to get her arms in close for a tie up & a throw. Holly out-boxed her bad.

• Like 2

Yeah, running in on a straight line face first with the chin up just won't work against a woman who knows how to stick the jab & circle out.

It's worked before because most of her opponents freeze up, stand still & try and trade blows with Ronda, who's throwing punches just to get her arms in close for a tie up & a throw. Holly out-boxed her bad.

Very true. Holm was largely successful because she rarely threw a punch while stationary. Every time she struck she was already following it up with the proper angles to not be where she knew Rousey expected.

In Holm's case, her best defense was a truly great offense. Holm showed great defensive techniques when she did clinch with Ronda, but her best defense to the clinch was her ability to punish Ronda with shots every time Ronda tried to close the distance. The will to close the distance to clinch decreases dramatically when you're constantly getting punched, elbowed, and front kicks to the thigh.

Edited by StillUnknown

Who else does he coach?

Travis Browne who beat Brendan Schaub then lost in that epic 1 round slugfest to Arlovski. That was not exactly a brilliant display of striking defense, he got LIT UP.

Jake Ellenberger who lost to Kevin Gastelum. Beat Josh Koscheck. Then lost by spining hook kick to Stephen Thompson. The Thompson loss is notable because in the pre fight video clip Ellenberger scoffed at Thompson's karate. Saying something along the lines of "Karate? What is he going to do spin kick me in the head? Ha." He then went out and got spin kicked in the head in the 1st round.

tDpgkbn.gif

• Like 2

Travis Browne who beat Brendan Schaub then lost in that epic 1 round slugfest to Arlovski. That was not exactly a brilliant display of striking defense, he got LIT UP.

Jake Ellenberger who lost to Kevin Gastelum. Beat Josh Koscheck. Then lost by spining hook kick to Stephen Thompson. The Thompson loss is notable because in the pre fight video clip Ellenberger scoffed at Thompson's karate. Saying something along the lines of "Karate? What is he going to do spin kick me in the head? Ha." He then went out and got spin kicked in the head in the 1st round.

Didn't realize those guys chose to go to him when they switched camps. Bad career move

Guys who leave Jackson's have been slipping lately. Guida left to train with Team Alpha Male and got choked out in under a minute

I think it's safe to say Greg Jackson is the greatest MMA coach of all time, yay/nay?

I'd say so.

we see a lot of camps go on hot & cold streaks, but Jackson has been pretty consistent in his level of production for a long time. He's had so much success with so many different kinds of fighters.

Nay, GSP was tristar. Silva was black house or whatever under Nog, Jose Aldo nova Uniao, Fedor had his own camp, all the potential goats had different gyms. What is Greg Jackson claim to greatest coach Jones and Holly? I mean Nova Uniao had Barao and Aldo. Rafael Corderio currently has Werdum and RDA as champions but he also had Shogun and Wanderlei in Pride.

Nay, GSP was tristar. Silva was black house or whatever under Nog, Jose Aldo nova Uniao, Fedor had his own camp, all the potential goats had different gyms. What is Greg Jackson claim to greatest coach Jones and Holly? I mean Nova Uniao had Barao and Aldo. Rafael Corderio currently has Werdum and RDA as champions but he also had Shogun and Wanderlei in Pride.

GSP wasn't solely tristar, Jackson cornered him plenty of times. Jones is in on the shortlist for GOAT because of Jackson, but the argument for Jackson isn't based on one or two fighters. Its based on his successes with multiple fighters over the last 10 years or so.

those suspensions don't really mean much, they can come back a lot sooner if cleared by a doctor

Yeah, but the rumor is that it's to give her time to train.  Dana sorta pushed her back into the ring saying she'll get an immediate rematch, so he needs to pull her out of it long enough for her to fix the gaping holes in her game.

Yeah, but the rumor is that it's to give her time to train.  Dana sorta pushed her back into the ring saying she'll get an immediate rematch, so he needs to pull her out of it long enough for her to fix the gaping holes in her game.

I could be mistaken, but I remember those suspensions covering training/sparring as well. Similar to a football player who has a concussion not being allowed to practice until medically cleared.

If she wants time off, she gets time off, but they don't need to cloak it around a medical suspsension.

Seems like that "before" pic of Jones was taken a really long time ago - based on the fact that his face looks a lot more youthful.

If so, it takes away from this idea of a sudden transformation.

the caption said it was 2013, his face is definitely showing some battle scars

he's mentioned in the past that he never really strength trained or did much of any training when he didn't have a fight scheduled. 

his legs will have to remain pencils if he wants to stay at 205

Edited by StillUnknown